talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Football Manager 2020 Discussion Thread

27 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Here’s my issue........

Great defensively, can’t score more than 1/2 a game whilst those around me score for fun. So frustrating.

7303C9F6-F7E7-485C-A055-C9B1445DE221.png

Tactical or formation change required? 

I'm currently top of the Championship with Bolton and have changed formation for one striker up top with two attacking wingers and a defensive midfielder. Mine can be similar to yours in that at times I struggle to score in a game or two, but my defence is so strong that I can keep clean sheets easily. 

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Tactical or formation change required? 

I'm currently top of the Championship with Bolton and have changed formation for one striker up top with two attacking wingers and a defensive midfielder. Mine can be similar to yours in that at times I struggle to score in a game or two, but my defence is so strong that I can keep clean sheets easily. 

I’ve started tweaking the roles every game. Still don’t think I’ve scored more than 2 a game though. Just beat Liverpool 2-1 in the league on the Sunday and I’ve got Citeh Tuesday night in the cup :censored:

2 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Complete opposite here. I've gone from being strong defensively for the first 18 months to leaking goals for fun. Scoring loads too but clean sheets are few and far between these days

To give an idea of mine, I'm scoring goals (though others have scored more) but my defence is ridiculous. 

Screenshot_20200414_110903_com.sega.soccer.jpg

30 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

To give an idea of mine, I'm scoring goals (though others have scored more) but my defence is ridiculous. 

Screenshot_20200414_110903_com.sega.soccer.jpg

Impressive.

I'm probably scoring and conceding at a similar rate to Brentford or Sheff Utd in your table there

This season did not go to plan. We managed to survive thankfully and have actually been given a wage budget this time to work with, so hopefully next season we can go all out.

8cd183cfeef152499633f20f76d05547.png

And I never revealed who was my big tactical signing. The answer was Josef Martinez, I got him on a free on a 1.7k per week contract. He wasn't very good for us but he helped a lot in the mentoring department. My youngsters developed immensely. 

710eff9f5bcaab56f6740993484de6f8.png

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

Into another final of the Wafer Cup after knocking out St Johnstone who are currently top of the Championship

Screenshot_20200415-181007.png

The Wafer Cup. xD

As for us, we're pretty much automatically promoted it the prem and fighting with @Danny's boys for the Championship title.

Screenshot_20200415_191712_com.sega.soccer.jpg

This is our remaining fixture list, with two noticeable games among them. 

Screenshot_20200415_191814_com.sega.soccer.jpg

QPR and Cardiff are pretty much relegated so they should be easy wins. The rest however will be tricky, even with our defence. 

Random point. I conceded 20% of my goals against Blackburn in a 3-3 draw. Fuck knows how that happened but considering I was 2-0 down after 27 minutes, I'm taking it. 

Well we did it. We were the champions of the Championship and will be playing premiership football next season. Brentford will join us after not fucking it like in real life. 

Screenshot_20200415_203913_com.sega.soccer.jpg

In regards to our game against Liverpool, after knocking out premiership opposition in West Ham and Norwich previously, this was unfortunately one step too far, though we gave a good account of ourselves. Annoying that the player we had on loan for two of the past three seasons scores the winning goal mind. 

Screenshot_20200415_202508_com.sega.soccer.jpg

It's 12th November 2019 and I've just taken the Swindon Town job. I'd had job offers from Torquay United, Exeter City and Crewe Alexandra by this point but turned Torquay down because I wanted a job in the Football League and turned Exeter and Crewe down because their expectations for the season, to finish in the play-off's, was totally unrealistic. Swindon, lying in 16th upon taking the job, had more realistic expectations, to finish in the top half, which we were off by just a point. 

League Two - Finish top-half and work out how I'll set up and look for signings for the next season.

FA Cup - We'd drawn with Tranmere immediately before I took charge, with Accrington Stanley lying in wait, I think there's a serious possibility at getting to Round Three and being in the hat with the big teams. 

Leasing.com Trophy - We'd all but qualified, I've got a decent side, so, draw dependent, could do well here. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Swindon Town 0-1 Chelsea Under 23's (L.c T - Group Stage)

Benda; Hunt, Edmonds-Green, Conroy, Fryers; Woolery, May, Palmer, Hope*; Doyle, Muskwe. Subs: Anderson*.

More of the ball, more shots, more shots on target and the only clear cut chance of the game, an Eoin Doyle penalty, our way but we get beat from a deflected goal. Goes to show the frailty in this side's confidence levels, really. Still, we qualified and have drawn Southampton Under 23's in the next round, which I'm pleased with. 

Salford City 0-0 Swindon Town - (L2)

Benda; Broadbent, Edmonds-Green, Conroy, Hunt, Fryers**; May***, Lyden; Woolery*; Yates, Doyle. Subs: Jaiyesimi*, Reid**, Palmer***.

Take that as a first proper game. Went with a slightly bizarre 3-5-2 that had one winger, Woolery, behind the front two, as I was looking at Salford's options at right-back and fancied that we could have overloaded down that side and possibly created our chances that way. That didn't quite work and I changed it at half-time, bringing Jaiyesimi on to play as a shadow striker and we looked more likely to get a goal that way, while not looking particularly troubled at the back.

Tranmere Rovers 1-1 Swindon Town - Swindon win 4-2 on pens - (FAC 1R)

Benda; Broadbent, Edmonds-Green, Conroy, Hunt, Donohue***; Palmer*, Lyden, Jaiyesimi (goal, 62); Yates, Doyle**. Subs: Doughty*, Woolery**, Iandolo***. 

Delighted to get a win, finally, even if it's via penalties. Starting the way we finished the Salford game, with Jaiyesimi playing as a shadow striker, proved a good move. I was wary it wouldn't work and had contingency plans for half-time but we were holding our own against a struggling side from the league above and I fancied, if we scored first, we'd win. Sadly, Tranmere scored first but then loanee Jaiyesimi stuck one in the top corner nine minute later to equalise. Eventually won on penalties and now face a trip to Accrington in Round Two.

Swindon Town 0-0 Mansfield Town - (L2)

Benda; Broadbent, Edmonds-Green, Conroy; Reid, Donohue**; May, Palmer, Jaiyesimi*; Yates***, Doyle. Subs: Woolery*, Fryers**, Iandolo***.

The very definition of a dour nil-nil draw. 

Accrington Stanley 0-0 Swindon Town (FAC 2R)

Benda; Caddis, Conroy, Broadbent, Fryers; Grant; May, Palmer, Isgrove***, Iandolo*, Doyle**. Subs: Anderson*, Yates**, Anderson***. 

Can you see the theme developing here? Can't buy a goal. The strikers are bereft of confidence in front of goal, between Jerry Yates and Eoin Doyle, we should have no worries about goals. It's frustrating now. Accrington were garbage, two shots on target from them all game, it should have been a comfortable win for us. Three clean sheets is impressive but we need goals. Tottenham away awaits the winner, a proper money-spinner that I'm now desperate for.

It's been a busy summer. We lost Jordan Greenidge for £500k after Barnsley met the release clause in his contract. Replaced him with Kevin O'Hara from Alloa who scored two on his debut in the Betfred Cup.

Decided on a system change this season too and it's worked well so far, winning three from four in the Betfred Cup to see us qualify for the second round for the first time

Screenshot_20200417-113001.png

Screenshot_20200417-113013.png

Screenshot_20200417-113435.png

Well I can see this being a little bit of a struggle. Basically the quality of my team bar about 4-5 players is poor, so a lot of purchases need to be made. However, a lot of players available are either expensive (considering I need to look over the majority of the pitch, I can't go too nuts for one player) or simply not good enough. 

I have made one purchase which, on the basis of cost compared to others and potential ability, could be a key signing. 

Screenshot_20200417_122218_com.sega.soccer.jpg

Signed for £12m plus Lankester (who I signed on a free last season but didn't really do much). Has some potential to improve as well. A gamble as his signing has cost me a good chunk of my budget, but with the prices quoted for others being much higher, this was possibly the best I can get. 

Verl went tits up. Basically my next season after surviving I struggled to win games and every loss was 3 goals or more. 

Took a few days break but started with Sassuolo. Think I should do something fairly simple but that also requires building.

On 14/04/2020 at 16:50, Inti Brian said:

Join the club. I survived thankfully. Did you end up making it to the finish alive?

We did it with a game to spare. A last minute goal from my hitman that appeared to scupper Birmingham's chances.

The twist is we played Southampton on the last game and did exactly the same thing to them xD. So Birmingham still went up.

20200419_093247.thumb.jpg.7666ae6bea6d3ef7e5508ff86d930947.jpg

First season in the Championship went reasonably well. We were never in danger of relegation. Still had a chance of the play offs with a few games left but we played all of the top five in our last five games and only won once so fell short.

And look at Aberdeen, in free fall!

We retained the Wafer Cup! What a final it was too.

Struggled to find consistency using a 532 and 4321. I think I've settled on a 4231 for this season though and my transfer business has been centred around that.

Screenshot_20200419-135901.png

Screenshot_20200419-152501.png

Screenshot_20200419-152554.png

Archived