• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain Wanted by West Ham

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, shut up said:

Another great signing by Michael Edwards :ph34r:

He's been a useful squad player when he's been fit in 17/18 and 19/20. Has only been available since December of this season but has barely got any playing time. I'd imagine because of fitness and also because of injuries elsewhere in the team have meant there's just no way Klopp would play a midfielder as attacking as him when the CBs need protecting. Telling that he's only been used in the front three when he has come on. He's actually looked decent when he's replaced Firmino, albeit only for about 10 minutes each time.

I wouldn't have an issue with him sticking around next season unless Liverpool get an offer they simply couldn't refuse.

3 minutes ago, shut up said:

He wasn't signed to be a 'useful squad player' though. All the talk at the time was he was going to Liverpool to play centrally to fulfil his potential and become one of the best midfielders in the league. 

Did anyone ever say that he was going to become one of the best midfielders in the league?O.o 

I'm probably doing him a disservice when I say he was a useful squad player in 17/18, he was better than that once he'd settled. Then picked up the injury in the Champions League semi final v Roma

3 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Did anyone ever say that he was going to become one of the best midfielders in the league?O.o 

I'm probably doing him a disservice when I say he was a useful squad player in 17/18, he was better than that once he'd settled. Then picked up the injury in the Champions League semi final v Roma

Felt like there was a period where he was banging them in and his ability to win the ball high up the pitch suited your style so well.

Just injuries.

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, shut up said:

He wasn't signed to be a 'useful squad player' though. All the talk at the time was he was going to Liverpool to play centrally to fulfil his potential and become one of the best midfielders in the league

Not saying he's a terrible player btw, but he definitely hasn't been this great signing that everyone was banging on about at the time 

8 minutes ago, shut up said:

Literally all the liverpool media and fans when he signed said he's going to play in his preferred position and to fulfil his potential under klopp, and hopefully become one of the best midfielders the league. :what:

Just now, shut up said:

It was a joke you gimp xD

Hence why i put the emoji at the end of it.

These bits weren't though xD

9 minutes ago, shut up said:

Literally all the liverpool media and fans when he signed said he's going to play in his preferred position and to fulfil his potential under klopp, and hopefully become one of the best midfielders the league. :what:

I'm mean, as Danny said, he had a good first season and looked like he had the attributes to be a good player in Klopp's emerging Liverpool team. Who knows how different things would have been for him if he'd not done his ACL v Roma. One of the best midfielders in the league is a bit of a stretch but then you've probably just made that up

8 minutes ago, shut up said:

You signed him in 2017 for £40m when he had 10 months left on his contract, you don't do that for useful squad players xD no idea where all this revisionist nonsense is coming from. His injury record was well known btw, this isn't a surprise to anybody.

It's fine to admit you made a dud signing. Every club does it.

Some more than others :ph34r:

I don't think he's been a 'dud signing'. He's still made valuable contributions during the season we reached the CL final in 2018 and last season. Just because someone doesn't reach their full potential doesn't mean they weren't worth signing. Yes, things could have been much better for him but as I say he's still contributed in those seasons he's largely avoided injury

1 hour ago, 6666 said:

It wasn't a great signing. His stock has definitely fallen since joining Liverpool. The talent is there but so are the injuries.

Yeah I'm sure he wishes he stayed at Arsenal so he could get involved in that scrap with Everton for 8th :ph34r:

2 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Yeah I'm sure he wishes he stayed at Arsenal so he could get involved in that scrap with Everton for 8th :ph34r:

I'm not talking about what he wished for. I'm sure he's delighted he tagged along for Liverpool's success. I'm talking about his own value as a player going down.

Archived