talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(Group D) - Scotland 0-2 Czech Republic - Monday 14th June, 2021

football forum

11 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Czech Republic are just a better side. Scotland haven’t been bad, which will be a comfort but they’ve got nothing in that final third. 

Scotland doesn't have that extra quality but i won't say Czech were the better side. Scotland mostly outplayed them. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The cutting edge for Scotland just wasn't there where it counts.

In some ways, it was a bit like watching Fulham this season. They looked capable of doing something, created openings, but when it seemed easier to score the quality was missing.

Look at Wales Saturday. Were clearly second best to Switzerland but a quality header out of nowhere got them a point. Scotland lacked any sort of clinicality.

6 minutes ago, McAzeem said:

Scotland doesn't have that extra quality but i won't say Czech were the better side. Scotland mostly outplayed them. 

I didn’t say were. I said are. They had that cutting edge, which ultimately was the difference. Having a player of the quality of Shick made a huge difference compared to Dykes or Adams, who just aren’t that level. 

Actually don't blame the keeper for the second goal. From the angles I've seen, the pace and curl that Schick gets on the shot, the GK would have to have been within around 12 yards of his goal to save it I think. Whilst he probably was a bit too far off his line, he obviously wasn't going to be that close to the goal so not his fault in my opinion. 

It was a well deserved win for the Czechs and I think it just goes to show that they are on another level to the Scots. I mean Scotland created some chances, but the Czechs clearly looked the more dangerous side. Scotland had home advantage, yet they were still relatively comfortably beaten. It will be interesting to see if the Scots manage to get anything out of their remaining matches against England and Croatia.

2 hours ago, montybhopa said:

I wonder what this Dykes guy got bc he looks very average but the way BBC were hyping this guy you would think he plays for Bayern or PSG

Exactly, he's Scotland's main forward, yet he seems to be an average player, hence the reason he plays for a side like QPR(no disrespect intended). Two goal scorer Schick on the other hand, plays at a much higher level and his performance today, highlighted the difference in quality of some of the Czech players, compared to some of the Scottish players.

5 hours ago, Ploughendplonker said:

Actually don't blame the keeper for the second goal. From the angles I've seen, the pace and curl that Schick gets on the shot, the GK would have to have been within around 12 yards of his goal to save it I think. Whilst he probably was a bit too far off his line, he obviously wasn't going to be that close to the goal so not his fault in my opinion. 

If you watch Shick's interview, he said that he clocked in first half that Marshall keeps on getting out of his position and comes way forward for a keeper and that was the reason he did what he did.

6 hours ago, McAzeem said:

I think that it is quite clear that the Czechs are the better side. Sure both sides had dangerous chances, but I'd say the Czechs had the more dangerous chances. The Czechs started the match on the offensive and they deservedly took the lead in the 1st half. After that, Scotland had more of the ball for longer spells, but I would hardly say that Scotland outplayed them. It's natural for teams to sit back for a while after they have taken the lead. You also can't overlook the fact that Scotland were playing on home ground, which is an obvious advantage, yet they still lost. Scotland have some very good players in their team, but they also have some very average players. You can't compare the likes of Dykes to Schick for example, they are on a different level. 

• Subscriber

Scotland were really unlucky to be honest. 0-2 doesn't really reflect the game. It's also the game they really couldn't afford a loss in as well. Will be surprised if they don't finish 4th.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived