The better place to talk football.

Alex Albon Lands 2022 Williams Seat

football forum

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Tommy said:

HYPE! I'd love it if Alex gets another chance in F1. I'm sure George would be delighted to see Albon take his seat as well. 

Mercedes apparently want de Vries or Vandoorne, while Red Bull are obviously looking for a seat for Albon. Toto v Horner proxy war at Williams xD 

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Mercedes apparently want de Vries or Vandoorne, while Red Bull are obviously looking for a seat for Albon. Toto v Horner proxy war at Williams xD 

Always surprised de Vries didn't get a shot earlier. Kid has won so much at different levels...well I say kid but he's 26 now.

• Subscriber

De Vries is the one who took 3 attempts to win the F2 title no? Or am I thinking of Van Der Garde?

Feel like Vandoorne has had his chance more than Albon. Perez is an experienced and capable driver and has, if we're honest, barely fared much better than Albon did in the second Red Bull.

This is the problem with the driver academy route though. You very rarely have the perfect number of drivers, you'll spend most of the time having too many to find a seat for or not enough to do what you want.

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Eco said:

Always surprised de Vries didn't get a shot earlier. Kid has won so much at different levels...well I say kid but he's 26 now.

Well, there were few seats available and it took him too long to clinch that F2 title to impress anyone, and when he did it was the season with one of the weakest grids in F2. Never really dominated, struggled with tyre management too. Really not surprised he didn't get a shot in F1.

7 hours ago, nudge said:

Well, there were few seats available and it took him too long to clinch that F2 title to impress anyone, and when he did it was the season with one of the weakest grids in F2. Never really dominated, struggled with tyre management too. Really not surprised he didn't get a shot in F1.

What do you think Robert's chances are of getting an F1 seat? 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Eco said:

What do you think Robert's chances are of getting an F1 seat? 

I think he needs to improve to get a real chance. I like him, and I hope he gets it, but I'm a bit worried about his qualifying performance, and I also think he's too risk averse. Which is not a bad thing overall, but I think it hinders him a bit.

22 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Was really happy when Albon lost his seat, so a bit gutted that he will be wasting oxygen next season with Alfa.

First Onions and now you hate on Albon? What exactly is wrong with you?

1 hour ago, Whiskey said:

Was really happy when Albon lost his seat, so a bit gutted that he will be wasting oxygen next season with Alfa.

How could anyone possibly hate Albon?

I don't particularly like him that much, but not sure how anyone could hate him. 🤔

• Subscriber
30 minutes ago, Eco said:

How could anyone possibly hate Albon?

I don't particularly like him that much, but not sure how anyone could hate him. 🤔

Bet it has something to do with him driving under the Thai flag instead of the British one :ph34r:

• Subscriber

Horner sounded bitter in that interview. I understand Toto’s point if it’s not Albon as they have their reasons and it’s not about blocking Albon at all. If he’s good enough he will be back in F1, and It’s not Mercedes fault if he’s not.

• Subscriber
43 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

Horner sounded bitter in that interview. I understand Toto’s point if it’s not Albon as they have their reasons and it’s not about blocking Albon at all. If he’s good enough he will be back in F1, and It’s not Mercedes fault if he’s not.

If only the politics of F1 lineups were that simple! It's a nightmare now with teams having rosters of drivers that have come through their academy rather than just having two each.

Horner is being a dick though making out that Mercedes are blocking anything. Toto trying to get De Vries into the seat is no different to Red Bull trying to get Albon in there. It's actually Red Bull's fault that Mercedes see Williams as a pseudo-junior team and Ferrari with Alfa Romeo because Red Bull introduced the concept of having a junior team in F1 rather than just the lower categories.

I'd like to see Albon on the grid and given another chance but Red Bull can hardly complain about other teams trying to get their drivers seats when they already have 20% of the grid to play with unchallenged which is more than anyone else has.

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Nudge knows.

xD Thought so. Although I honestly don't get why anyone would be upset with it, considering that financial support from the Thai organisation sponsoring young Thai athletes and other Thai companies was the only reason he could continue with his single seaters career as a junior driver. Thai heritage, citizenship, and religion aside.

• Subscriber

Albon/Latifi confirmed at Williams for 2022.

I'm happy for both of them to be honest. Latifi doesn't get much credit and I feel that I'm in the minority in thinking this but he's done a fairly steady job for them and has improved quite a lot since he started. Okay, he probably wouldn't be on the grid in the first place without financial backing but credit where credit is due.

I think Albon will do a pretty good job for Williams. Hopefully they produce a reasonable car.

• The title was changed to Alex Albon lands 2022 Williams seat

Glad that he's in the Williams as I won't have to see too much of him on the TV. So many better options than Albon, but they've played it really safe and probably gone with the money again as they did with Stroll and Latifi - zero personality and minimal racecraft.

Just glad that Gasly is in the lead car, where he should be.

• Subscriber

The two of them also were teammates in F2 2018 season driving for DAMS: Albon beat Latifi convincingly and finished 3rd in the overall standings, losing out only to Russell and Norris. Will be interesting to see how he does in WIlliams now; good for him to get a second chance. I do think that a Latifi-Albon lineup is pretty poor though, to be honest.

• The title was changed to Alex Albon Lands 2022 Williams Seat
  • Subscriber
On 04/09/2021 at 16:38, nudge said:

xD Thought so. Although I honestly don't get why anyone would be upset with it, considering that financial support from the Thai organisation sponsoring young Thai athletes and other Thai companies was the only reason he could continue with his single seaters career as a junior driver. Thai heritage, citizenship, and religion aside.

Because he was born in England, grew up in England. Dad is a former British driver, did all of his early racing career using English facilities and provision. I personally don’t care at all but can clearly see why some people would feel aggrieved that a British National that’s born and spent his whole life here has decided to drive under another flag  

Archived