• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

F1 2021 - Saudi Arabia GP - 3-5th December

football forum

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

Vettel basically couldn't be more like Prost. Ultimately outclassed by Hamilton in this generation like Prost was by Senna but he did the business in four separate years of F1. He will be rated below Schumacher and Hamilton but the rest are up for debate.

It's getting late, stop encouraging him lol.

Only joking.

20 minutes ago, shut up said:

You're the worst one on here. I bet your twitter is a right mess 

I'm neutral ofc :ph34r:

Who am I supposed to be a fanboy of?

And I don't really use twitter. 

• Subscriber

Doesn't make a difference to the race result but still think this is an odd decision. Max initially slowed in a way that easily allowed Hamilton through.

Max was told over the radio to let him past strategically. Clearly he tried to do it and then get DRS. Lewis admitted in the post race press conference that the same thought crossed his mind.

Shame on the sport really for introducing DRS 10 years ago to paper over the cracks of the failed aero formula and not find a solution for this long. It shouldn't really have a place in the sport in the first place but they've got out of control with it putting up to 3 DRS zones on some tracks and making the zones so powerful that it's actually a disadvantage to be in the lead in some circumstances. It's become accepted as part and parcel of the sport now but when you think about it it's a ludicrous situation for the sport to be in and an absolute embarrassment to see Max and Lewis today fighting over who gets to go 2nd into the final corner.

• Subscriber

And there it is in black and white. The stewards admitting that the powers that be have created a situation where two guys fighting tooth and nail for the world championship don't want to take the lead. It's honestly disgraceful that. DRS should only ever have been introduced as a modest boost to allow a slightly faster car the opportunity to get alongside a rival. Overtaking should be done in the braking zone.

• Subscriber

IMG_20211206_015306-01.jpeg

What a shit show xD

Anyway, it's going to be war at Abu Dhabi. Two drivers going into the final race on equal points (for the first time since 1974, apparently) is a dream come true for FIA and F1. In a way, it feels scripted xD

Hope we get a proper fight on track to decide the championship, not ruined by penalties or other outside influences. 

• The topic was unpinned
  • Subscriber

By far the most detailed analysis of the telemetry data of yesterday's incident (courtesy of F1Technical):

y4spnpxxvs381.jpg?width=1024&auto=webp&s

1. On the straight prior to the contact you can see the usual difference in speed between the cars as they are both flat out: full gas, top gear.
  2. On the preceding corner, Lewis brakes in the typical (and fastest) fashion, dragging the brake while staying on the gas as long as possible. Meanwhile Max forgoes trail braking, brakes early, and stays on the brakes late to give Lewis the advantage on the exit.
  3. Max lifts three times giving Lewis a speed advantage of 20-30kph for pretty much the full length of the straight. This allows Lewis to close at a remarkable speed for 600 - 700m
  4. Lewis taps the brakes as soon as the gap is closed, which I see as refusing to pass before the DRS line.
  5. Max brakes and downshifts for the DRS line with sharp deceleration from 300kph to 100kph over 250m leading to the collision.

Who’s at fault? What does it mean?

Both were seeking every inch of advantage and trying to get the DRS for the next straight. I don’t think I agree with the claim that max surprised lewis with the brake as his intent was clear for some distance. Max likely positioned his car to limit Hamilton’s line going through the upcoming corner after the pass.

The rules are grey here. When is Lewis required to pass a competitor trying to let him by? When is max required to be on the inside or outside of a straight while letting someone pass?

• Subscriber

The bottom line remains. If DRS is powerful enough for the trailing car to have enough of a guaranteed overtake on the next straight, that they'd prefer to end that exchange in 2nd place, it needs to be sorted out. The problem is they were both entitled to try and cross the detection point behind the other driver and you shouldn't need to legislate against that scenario because incentivising being behind someone else in any way is fucking stupid in a motor race.

DRS should only be powerful enough to counteract the loss of lap time from following in the dirty air of another car on the rest of the lap. I know it's impossible because not all of the cars have an equal chance of overtaking a slower rival. Hamilton in the Mercedes for example probably only needed a short DRS zone to get alongside the Red Bull because he already has a significant straight line advantage but this is quite a unique and extreme example due to the power of that one engine. But they really fucked it up this weekend and to be honest it isn't because of the new track.

We see it all the time where cars have the overtaking move done so far before the braking zone that the other guy's packed it in and filed in behind him without bothering to defend. It's no wonder Hamilton, Bottas and Verstappen have shared a podium more times than any other combination in F1 history. In this era, if you spin off on the first lap or start from the pitlane, as long as you have the fastest car you can be back in the top six by the time the pit stops start. Pre-DRS you'd have to drive a perfect race just to bring home a 6th or 7th place. There were consequences for fucking up part of the weekend.

I've never liked DRS. I made my peace with it because realistically, there would be too many races without much opportunity for cars to get side by side if you scrapped it, but that's only because F1 has never been able to create an aero formula that reduces dependency on aerodynamic grip and allows cars to follow closely enough to battle. I just don't see why it was necessary this weekend to have three DRS zones by default on a brand new track.

• Subscriber

Nobody likes DRS; I also hope that the new regulations will pave the path to getting completely rid of it in the future. I would even be in favour of something similar to IndyCar's push to pass system. But if it's going to stay, then yesterday's incident should probably serve as an impetus to clarify the "giving position back" instructions by the race control to the drivers and specify a time and place for it to happen. 

16 minutes ago, nudge said:

Nobody likes DRS; I also hope that the new regulations will pave the path to getting completely rid of it in the future. I would even be in favour of something similar to IndyCar's push to pass system. But if it's going to stay, then yesterday's incident should probably serve as an impetus to clarify the "giving position back" instructions by the race control to the drivers and specify a time and place for it to happen. 

Like the three DRS zones, they could just have three "overtake" zones where drivers could pull over and let others past as opposed to doing it whenever they feel like it. 

I think regardless of whether you are pro-Hamilton or pro-Max, the incident in Saudi Arabia was a bit of a fuck up for F1 in general.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Like the three DRS zones, they could just have three "overtake" zones where drivers could pull over and let others past as opposed to doing it whenever they feel like it. 

I think regardless of whether you are pro-Hamilton or pro-Max, the incident in Saudi Arabia was a bit of a fuck up for F1 in general.

I like it how in sportcars racing, the race director often simply tells over the radio something like "car #2 will give the position back to car #11 in the next corner", and that's it - if they don't, it's a time penalty. No place for any shithousery when the instructions are clear and strict. 

And yes, yesterday's incident was a bad look on everyone. 

• Subscriber

Also, there is a long standing rule where if you overtake someone by cutting a corner, you have to give the place back and leave that at least one more corner before trying to pass again, following the Hamilton/Raikkonen incident in Belgium 2008. This is why when Verstappen finally let Hamilton through after the collision, and then lunged straight up the inside before they even reached the next corner, I would describe that as foul play.

• Subscriber

So without reading through the pages, someone give me a count on the bias and unbiased…… ;) .

If I’ve gained anything new this season… other than my annoying obsession for Goats… I’ve Gained a lot of respect for Max and randomly Seb this season. Seb especially… inside and outside of the sport….

Anyway, Max…. Grow up. That type of racing is dreadful. And I really hope it doesn’t decide rhe title. If Max wins fairly…. I will genuinely be happy. But recently he’s pissed me off. 

erm…. Toto turns me on.

and… we’re in for a historic Finale ladies and gents. Can… not .. wait.

Archived