talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FA Cup 2021/22 - Third Round Matches

football forum

2 minutes ago, Rick said:

Didn’t look at it, was checking for the offside. Oliver has found any reason at all not to give that goal there. Laughable. 

That’s not true though is it? The only thing VAR shows is the replay of the block. And Oliver literally watched it once and made the decision. Let’s not make things up that didn’t happen.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
1 minute ago, DeadLinesman said:

I don’t think he’s overrated, but the weight of his politicking has caught up with him mentally and physically.

I was never quite as sold on him personally, think Greenwood's the better prospect (though he's not been up to much here either), to be honest it's been a really poor display, think you'll win but this performance would worry me, miles off it.

Just now, Dan said:

I was never quite as sold on him personally, think Greenwood's the better prospect (though he's not been up to much here either), to be honest it's been a really poor display, think you'll win but this performance would worry me, miles off it.

Mate, every performance worries me. We’re an awful team. 

As for Geeenwood/Rashford, Greenwood is definitely the most naturally talented of the two.

Just now, DeadLinesman said:

I don’t think he’s overrated, but the weight of his politicking has caught up with him mentally and physically.

I think the lethargy he seems to be playing with is a bit of an aftermath of him being asked to play for United while injured so frequently last season, playing for England while injured, and getting surgery in the break between seasons. Physically, he's been through a lot in the past few seasons.

Mentally, I think he's also been through a lot. His political causes are commendable as fuck, he's really doing something that no partisan politics should land him criticism for - it's a wealthy young man using his own personal wealth to try to help feed kids and be a good example in terms of making meaningful charitable contributions. But, for some reason, it's also been used as a stick to beat him with and I do agree he's feeling quite a bit of pressure from people who view someone trying to fight poverty leading to children being unfed as some kind of horrible political agenda.

He's also been a lightening rod for racist abuse directed his way and was particularly brutal over the summer and he was on the receiving end of a lot of bile in the summer. And unfortunately, his political endeavours draw in the same sort of people who are inclined to blame non-white players for England losing a final. Go look up his twitter and instagram, he's been facing months and months of personal abuse pretty much any time he posts something.

I still rate him more highly than many United players despite his form this season (which has been very poor). But I think mentally and physically, he needs some sort of break for his career. Whether that's time between seasons where he can just get a good rest, physically and mentally, or if United just give him some time off (which I think will never happen, although maybe players' mental health needs to be accounted for).

He's still very young, he was asked to keep performing at a high level while injured for a very long time, while simultaneously gets constant abuse for his political views (which aren't even offensive) and his skin colour (which should never happen in society in this day and age, and we should be doing more to combat racism).

It’s easy to blame Rashford’s political stuff but he’s had a fair amount of injuries. 

I don’t get why United play the same way every single week when everyone can see that they’re threatened by anyone who can counter attack. Villa were unlucky not to score there, Wolves had 20+ shots last week and they’ll play like that against Villa at the weekend. 

Gary Linekar just said that the official reason given for disallowing that goal was because the Villa player who blocked Cavani was offside when the ball was played and he interfered in play by making that block? If that's the reason, then it should have been disallowed in seconds, because he was offside by miles. So why has it taken 3+ minutes? They've clearly spent all that time desperately searching for a reason to disallow it. Is that what VAR is supposed to do?

• The topic was unpinned

Archived