talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

PL Round 24 - Wednesday 9th February, 2022

football forums

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still Bamfordless. Phillips is getting closer but this is too soon for him. Cooper and Firpo also out so the square pegs will continue in round holes.

Plus side, young Gelhardt is fit and he may get the nod up front tonight, always exciting seeing him on the pitch and to have an actual striker available with our wing threat gives us a fair shout at least, if he plays.

Villa have looked decent recently and they have been spoilt by the new signings so to get points here will be a tough ask for us I think.

It's that area of the pitch where Coutinho and Buendia come alive and Phillips isn't there to shut it down that most concerns me tonight. They could really profit if allowed too much space.

We are a bit of a wildcard in that you don't quite know what's to come from us but with Bielsa, you never know. He will have worked on this game for two weeks tactically so if we execute the game plan well enough like we did at West Ham, we do have it in us with Raphinha, Harrison, James etc to cause issues.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

It's all Man City but Brentford are holding out well. Raya hasn't really been tested. 

Same story at home and then they beat us 1-0. You can hold them off for 88 minutes and then they can create 2-3 clear cut chances in the final 2. No letting up.

So frustrating this.

We've played really well first half going forward, bit like at West Ham, looking so dangerous each attack and an inch from going 2-0 up when we hit the bar.

But two moments of quality from Coutinho and we're behind. It's not like we have really had much to defend.

Doesn't really feel like Villa deserve it but I guess you have to put your hands up and say that's what players of that quality can do.

You will be hard pushed to find a better 45mins to watch than that this season.

We've had 64% of the ball, created double their chances and looked well in control, and then 10 mins of Coutinho magic taking a grip if the game and we're suddenly 3-1 down. We looked stunned.

Felt right we got one back to make it just a goal in the game, the only thing you can say is there looks to be more goals in this and we'll go shit or bust now.

Dan James looks like he's played striker all his life tonight, fair pkay to him, been an absolute menace.

• Administrator

Whichever forward it is for Brentford - Ghoddos? - he needs to learn how to stay onside. He thinks he's making a curved run in behind but he never gets onside at any point xD

5 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

I am surprised by Coutinho, it's like he has never left the Premier.  I was expecting something similar to Sanchez at United.

I don't think he suddenly turned shite. I think this is just the right sort of move for him to get his career back on track.

He joined Barca when they had Messi in the position where he plays the best, obviously if your choice is Messi or Coutinho you've either got to play Coutinho where he isn't his best or bench him. They then signed Griezmann who also plays in a similar area of the pitch.

At Bayern he wasn't bad but he also didn't really demonstrate he was worth the big transfer fee and massive wages he would need to be their player full time, fairly inconsistent and I think he's a player that needs to play regularly to really get the most out of him.

At Villa he's going to be one of the main men in the side that the attack is built around. He'll thrive there tbh. Gerrard maybe more than any other manager (maybe Klopp too) knows exactly what his strengths and weaknesses are.

Barca was just the wrong career move for him. He would have been better off (although I don't know about us) staying as the main man with us... or moving to another club where he's going to be the man pulling the strings more often than not for the attack, like he is at Villa.

Whereas with Sanchez at United, I think you had a player that was too worn out physically to keep performing and perhaps too comfortable with the outrageous salary you offered him.

11 minutes ago, Stan said:

Whichever forward it is for Brentford - Ghoddos? - he needs to learn how to stay onside. He thinks he's making a curved run in behind but he never gets onside at any point xD

He's started struggling with this playing for the national team... as a central midfielder. I used to wonder why he didn't get more chances to start for Iran after looking really really class in some cameo appearances, but I don't so much after watching the WCQ campaign they just had.

The lad's got quality but I don't know if he's got the best brain for football to get the most out of that quality. Seems like he's trying to do too much to impress to get more of a chance for club and country.

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Awful defending for both their goals, think Mings needs to be upgraded in the summer drops clangers far too often now

Best of both worlds there. Fantastic clearance off the line, then shanked his clearance to tee up Diego Llorente.

Good game. Lots of energy from both sides.

Archived