talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Marcelo Bielsa Sacked By Leeds - Jesse Marsch in Line to Take Over

On 26/02/2022 at 22:25, Lucas said:

A very, very sad day for this football club and I for one am not only gutted, but pretty aggrieved and frustrated that he has been hung out to dry like this. He didn't deserve for it to end this way.

Everything that he's done for this football club, not just in terms of the team and the football we have played, but as a human, the wisdom, the honesty, the integrity, the modesty. A man with outstanding values. Leeds fell madly in love with him and he fell madly in love with us. Single handedly, the best thing in years to happen to us. He deserved the chance to finish what he started.

He's got us promoted with what was essentially an average championship team and took us as high as 9th with largely the same squad. He's turned Kalvin Phillips into one of the countries best players. Even Patrick Bamford has an England cap as a result of Bielsa's faith in him.

He's had it all against him this season and he's never once complained. Injuries, referee decisions, VAR, fixtures schedules or even COVID, he's just done all he could with the tools he's been provided and unfortunately, he's been made to carry the can for the position we are in.

He's not faultless, he's El Loco for a reason. I'd never agree with all his decisions, sometimes things have been baffling or nonscensical but his passion for this club is unrivalled and there has always been a method to the madness. I don't think unless you are Leeds, you'll ever truly understand it on the outside looking in.

For me, it makes no sense changing a manager now, new backroom staff etc and trying to suddenly change something the players aren't used to with so little precious time left. People will say you can't keep going on like you have been and yes, its been a horrible week, disastrous month etc. But we had winnable fixtures coming and hopefully we'll have the spine of our team back soon, with them back, the system would work so much better with those key personnel.

The board, and in particular Radrizzani, deserve to take more flack than Bielsa for two failed transfer windows. We stood still in the summer when we needed to strangthen and we wouldnt go the extra mile in January for someone we really wanted when we were badly in need of reinforcements. Why always strengthen the U23's when it was players who could step in now? Very quick to come out and ride the Bielsa wave when things go well, pretty slow to come out when things have turned sour. They have a lot to answer for.

I just want to say thank you to a man that completely rekindled my passion for my team after years of nothingness. I can hand on heart say I've never loved and respected a manager so much, I know I speak for the majority of the fanbase who will equally be gutted at this, and he will forever be remembered as a hero.

For me, without Bielsa, we are as good as down. With Bielsa, we had a fighting chance.

IMG_20200722_220726.jpg

2 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

What are your thoughts on the sacking? 

See above post mate. Devastated in truth. Personally feel he was done over by Radrizzani and the board.

Might seem bizarre on the outside for the neutrals, a man that's led his team to a quite a few canings and Leeds fans too blinded to see the wood through the trees, but I honestly feel he deserved to see it through, he had credit it in the bank and the winnable fixtures coming. He endured such a tough period, he deserved backing.

Put it this way, it feels like we've take a bigger step towards relegation with this decision than avoiding it.

Any other bloke gets the push and pretty much fucks off in a blacked out car. Not Bielsa. He's been down Thorp Arch, our training base, taking photos with fans, signing autographs, hugs and goodbyes for hours. It's honestly incredible and for us to shat on him like this personally doesn't sit right with me. Eternally greatful for what he's done though.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

It's not just about the football for Bielsa.  He's made Leeds a family club again.  And it hasn't been all words, because honestly the guy doesn't talk much.  It's been his actions.  That's what other fans won't get.  It's one thing to be successful on the pitch.  It's another thing entirely to restore pride to the club and the community.  The city has rallied around him and the feel-good factor was like a drug.  He was given a long leash on the pitch because getting rid of him would have equated to cutting out your heart.  Sometimes it's not just about winning and I think Leeds (the city) have realized that, hence the tremendous backlash at the club and the outpouring of support for Bielsa.

Leeds were proud to have him and he found a home there... the club that he's been at the longest in his entire career.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I like Leeds and I get what everyone is saying... but

You can't just keep getting thrashed week in week out and expect to keep your job. 

It was literally becoming embarrassing. 

And this is the flip-side of the feel-good factor.  Radz and the 49ers were watching their investment go up in smoke and Bielsa's position was becoming untenable.  30-40 years ago getting relegated wasn't the end of the world for clubs.  Nowadays it can be a death sentence.  Leeds only just made it back to the big time and watching it slip away under Bielsa was too much for them, regardless of his god-like status off the pitch.

2 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

I like Leeds and I get what everyone is saying... but

You can't just keep getting thrashed week in week out and expect to keep your job. 

It was literally becoming embarrassing. 

I think what you have to understand though is this.

As much as we have taken a few pasting's since we came up (last season and this season especially), the system we played clearly worked because we finished 9th last season, and we were able to play the way we did and draw with Man City, yourselves, Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal at home, beat Spurs at home and beat Man City away with 10 men, bot to mention hammer Leicester and Villa. More importantly, we beat pretty much most teams that finished below us. When we are on it, we get results.

That is why we always took the compromise when we took a battering. It's a live by the sword, die by the sword approach and we understood that, others outside of us didn't..

What Bielsa has always argued is that the system works because it's what got us as far as it has, which he is right, but if it didn't, he never shyed away from taking the blame himself if he set us up wrong.

The problem is, the system is hugely reliant on the right personnel. Kalvin Phillips is integral to it. Patrick Bamford is integral to it. We can get by with square pegs in round holes due to the versatility of some of our players but they can't produce the same level we look for from those players. And when you suffer the way we have this season, it's very hard to reach your 'normal' level.

Maybe you could say Bielsa made a rod for his own back by not having different plans to turn to in the event of personnel missing but that is equally a fault of the owner and board for not investing and giving Bielsa the better quality of player. They placed more emphasis on signing cheap U23's in the hope he would develop them and sell them on for big profit.

It was a terrible week for us and the intense media scrutiny he faced without doubt influenced the decision to sack him. But we had a chance to beat Man Utd at 2-2. We created several chances v Spurs to have scored three or four. We just haven't been taken those chances. If we had, we wouldn't be here now I'm sure.

Now we will have a new manager with new ideas, new backroom staff, that has to change what these players have had drilled into them in a short space of time. He will have the benefit of 'easier' games and maybe the boost of Cooper, Phillips and Bamford, the spine rerurning.

Our argument was, surely Bielsa deserved that chance to turn it around under those conditions.

But its done now, c'est la vie.

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

I think what you have to understand though is this.

As much as we have taken a few pasting's since we came up (last season and this season especially), the system we played clearly worked because we finished 9th last season, and we were able to play the way we did and draw with Man City, yourselves, Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal at home, beat Spurs at home and beat Man City away with 10 men, bot to mention hammer Leicester and Villa. More importantly, we beat pretty much most teams that finished below us. When we are on it, we get results.

That is why we always took the compromise when we took a battering. It's a live by the sword, die by the sword approach and we understood that, others outside of us didn't..

What Bielsa has always argued is that the system works because it's what got us as far as it has, which he is right, but if it didn't, he never shyed away from taking the blame himself if he set us up wrong.

The problem is, the system is hugely reliant on the right personnel. Kalvin Phillips is integral to it. Patrick Bamford is integral to it. We can get by with square pegs in round holes due to the versatility of some of our players but they can't produce the same level we look for from those players. And when you suffer the way we have this season, it's very hard to reach your 'normal' level.

Maybe you could say Bielsa made a rod for his own back by not having different plans to turn to in the event of personnel missing but that is equally a fault of the owner and board for not investing and giving Bielsa the better quality of player. They placed more emphasis on signing cheap U23's in the hope he would develop them and sell them on for big profit.

It was a terrible week for us and the intense media scrutiny he faced without doubt influenced the decision to sack him. But we had a chance to beat Man Utd at 2-2. We created several chances v Spurs to have scored three or four. We just haven't been taken those chances. If we had, we wouldn't be here now I'm sure.

Now we will have a new manager with new ideas, new backroom staff, that has to change what these players have had drilled into them in a short space of time. He will have the benefit of 'easier' games and maybe the boost of Cooper, Phillips and Bamford, the spine rerurning.

Our argument was, surely Bielsa deserved that chance to turn it around under those conditions.

But its done now, c'est la vie.

I totally understand the emotions on this one though. It’s so similar to Pochettino getting sacked. 

3 hours ago, Storts said:

I totally understand the emotions on this one though. It’s so similar to Pochettino getting sacked. 

Yeah, I thought this might resonate with yourself.

Who'd have ever thought Argentinians would have left us heartbroken.

The new man is in.

I feel for him already. Sounds a nice bloke but he's joining at a really rough time.

Just seeing him meeting the players was like watching a new stepdad coming in to take over the role of your father. Tough gig.

Hope he gets a fair backing. Just waiting for the endless supply of Ted Lasso 'bantz' from your 'ladbible/joe' accounts...

14 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Considering Liverpool, Chelsea, Bayern etc have been linked, I don't see Newcastle as a possibility, sorry.

makes sense though nobody can really be sure.   if we made a good bid and nothing else came it's not like you wouldn't sell

2 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

makes sense though nobody can really be sure.   if we made a good bid and nothing else came it's not like you wouldn't sell

If we stayed up, I really couldn't see us selling to you. We're currently competing with you in the same area of the division, it makes zero sense to strengthen a rival.

If we go down, it's been said he has a release clause of £25m. If that is the case, he'll be high in demand. 

I can see why you'd want him, brilliant player. But it would be like us thinking we could take Saint Maximin off your hands if you went down. He'd go to a great calibre of club.

• Subscriber

Bielsa is notorious for sticking to his guns no matter what. Yeah you could argue that he was skiing uphill considering most managers would have taken a different approach to consolidate points vs try and play the same kind of attack-minded football that got them where they are but that wouldn't be Bielsa. Sad day for Leeds fans considering all he did and its a bit strange with 12 games to go that the club decided to sack him. They are a few points away from being in the secure zone and I am not sure that bringing in a new manager to an injury riddled team is going to have the effect the club wishes. Only time will tell I suppose. 

3 hours ago, Lucas said:

If we stayed up, I really couldn't see us selling to you. We're currently competing with you in the same area of the division, it makes zero sense to strengthen a rival.

If we go down, it's been said he has a release clause of £25m. If that is the case, he'll be high in demand. 

I can see why you'd want him, brilliant player. But it would be like us thinking we could take Saint Maximin off your hands if you went down. He'd go to a great calibre of club.

Hard to say really,  for now maybe you are but once we survive and going into next season we are unlikely to be equals.   Your decision to sell Raphinia will be determined by interest and if anyone is willing to buy.   Liverpool were interested before signing Luiz,   Bayern is a big squad in a one team league,  he may end up a bench player and the Bundesliga is a step backwards.    

We have not shown any interest in Raphinia,  it is just me liking him,  it looks like we will get David and Botman from Lille as primary targets.

Archived