talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Benfica 1-3 Liverpool - Tuesday 5th April, 2022 (1st Leg)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could be massively underestimating Benfica or being a bit disrespectful here but my thinking going into this first leg, based on the results we've had vs Porto in recent years and how far Benfica are behind Porto, is that we should be trying to get the tie done in the first game. Given the amount of games we've got coming up, to be able to rotate a little in the second leg would be ideal. 

• Subscriber

I think this is going to be a bit more harder than we expect. Benfica put in a late goal against a decent Ajax side that they drew with in the first leg and that was at home too (granted Ajax had a major hand in that). Nothing can be taken for granted here and I really do hope we get a lead to take back to Anfield. I just hope we come out and hit the ground running without any sloppiness. Is Trent fit for this or is the City game when he's actually back?

16 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I think this is going to be a bit more harder than we expect. Benfica put in a late goal against a decent Ajax side that they drew with in the first leg and that was at home too (granted Ajax had a major hand in that). Nothing can be taken for granted here and I really do hope we get a lead to take back to Anfield. I just hope we come out and hit the ground running without any sloppiness. Is Trent fit for this or is the City game when he's actually back?

I suspect Trent plays in this one and against Citeh, but I have no idea.

But I have to echo you and @LFCMikeon this - we're big favourites on paper, but we could be massively underestimating Benfica... any side that's gotten this far has something about them, after all. So I think we've got to try to get an early lead and do what we can to put the tie to bed early while also building as much confidence and momentum before we face City.

7 minutes ago, UNORTHODOX said:

We finally get Flaco, keita and Thiago in midfield for the first time. I’ve been wanting to see it for so long!

don’t let me down fellas.

Is it actually the first time all three have started together in midfield? Didn't know that. 

1 hour ago, UNORTHODOX said:

We finally get Flaco, keita and Thiago in midfield for the first time. I’ve been wanting to see it for so long!

don’t let me down fellas.

Wow I can't believe it's the first time ever we've played that midfield.

Although... I guess I can considering Thiago's injury record and especially Keita constantly being in and out of the side.

• Administrator

Decent game. Liverpool deserving of the lead. End to end and Benfica should be doing better with their limited opportunities. 

That ball from Alexander-Arnold though. Superb. 

• Subscriber

Fears were a little unfounded. We've turned the heat on and they really have no true answer. It could be over 2 goals with some of the chances we've had. Trent is having a good night.

• The title was changed to Benfica 1-3 Liverpool - Tuesday 5th April, 2022 (1st Leg)
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived