talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Football Journalism

football forum

I thought this could be a useful thread for us to share. What journalists do you normally go to for your football news? How and why? I.e. What journalists, what paper/online subscription and/or podcast do they produce? What league and teams do they cover?

Ill try and list everyone’s suggestions in this post so that if you’re ever after some different footy news you can come to this thread and find some via links.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Tim Vickery for South American football. 

Raphael Honigstein (Bundesliga), Julien Laurens (Ligue 1) and James Horncastle (Serie A). 

There's probably quite a few UK journalists that are worth listening to/reading, but can't recall names. 

David Squires deserves a shout for his image stories on Guardian. 

The day of the local journalist getting an exclusive one on one, which Brian Clough once said was the most important media work he would do each week from Hartlepools through to Forest is long gone, as the main source of the material now comes from agents who use the written and televised media for their own gain.

People like Fabrizio Romano and others who have sprung up spouting "exclusives" which are never that & normally turn out to be untrue are the worst. They lead the weakminded around by their cocks with their football version of this weeks episode of Coronation Street in the North and Eastenders in the south. Bloody Sky have hours of crap every day.

Oh the days of Ian Wooldridge Hugh McIlvanney ect who would paint a picture of what they were attending and offer an insight to a world so many longed to be a part of. You could do far worse than clicking on ebay and picking up a book or two of the two guys I have mentioned covering not only football but brilliant recounts of Boxing Cricket and even Dog Sledge racing!

Try sticking to your own clubs media outlet. Weirdly they normally have the best access to your clubs manager and players and will show you full interviews, instead of the bits that be cut to inflame or be used in the wrong context.

If you want transfer news and you can stomach someone trying to take credit for actual journalists who break the stories - Fabrizio Romano's good to follow on twitter because he's following the actual journalists who break news and he'll take what they say and re-write it with some "HERE WE GO"s and pass it off as though he's broken new news. He's gotten much more annoying the more popular he's become because he'll do the twitter equivalent of clickbait "BREAKING NEWS, here's what I've stolen from journalists the past weeks but reworded again to be different from the other tweets even though no news has broken."

He's a tap-in merchant though, he lets other people do all the actual work and then he gets to make a tweet where he claims some exclusive breaking news that he's just stolen from people who've actually done the work. But if you can't be arsed to follow journalists of clubs you don't support and just want general transfer news, he's worth a follow despite me thinking he's a very annoying person who should spend less time trying to take credit for other people doing their jobs.

With Liverpool, James Pearce is imo the most reliable. He's clearly got a relationship with the club, so he's the most reputable LFC news person there is (and no surprise Fabrizio Romano plagiarised the shit out of him daily during that weeklong chase we had for Darwin Nunez). I'd say Melissa Reddy too, because she used to have accurate breaking news and inside scoops - but since she's joined Sky, she's not getting the same sources she once enjoyed.

I forget his first name, but his surname's Maddock. If it's LFC news in the Mirror, it's usually wrong... unless Maddock wrote it.

David Ornstein seems to be pretty good with info for London clubs. Dunno how reliable he is overall, but from what little I've seen he seems less full of shit than many other journalists out there.

• Administrator

Forgot to mention John Percy for any news relating to Leicester, Forest, Derby and most other Midlands clubs. Always on point and genuinely can't remember last time he got something wrong.

16 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

If you want transfer news and you can stomach someone trying to take credit for actual journalists who break the stories - Fabrizio Romano's good to follow on twitter because he's following the actual journalists who break news and he'll take what they say and re-write it with some "HERE WE GO"s and pass it off as though he's broken new news. He's gotten much more annoying the more popular he's become because he'll do the twitter equivalent of clickbait "BREAKING NEWS, here's what I've stolen from journalists the past weeks but reworded again to be different from the other tweets even though no news has broken."

He's a tap-in merchant though, he lets other people do all the actual work and then he gets to make a tweet where he claims some exclusive breaking news that he's just stolen from people who've actually done the work. But if you can't be arsed to follow journalists of clubs you don't support and just want general transfer news, he's worth a follow despite me thinking he's a very annoying person who should spend less time trying to take credit for other people doing their jobs.

With Liverpool, James Pearce is imo the most reliable. He's clearly got a relationship with the club, so he's the most reputable LFC news person there is (and no surprise Fabrizio Romano plagiarised the shit out of him daily during that weeklong chase we had for Darwin Nunez). I'd say Melissa Reddy too, because she used to have accurate breaking news and inside scoops - but since she's joined Sky, she's not getting the same sources she once enjoyed.

I forget his first name, but his surname's Maddock. If it's LFC news in the Mirror, it's usually wrong... unless Maddock wrote it.

David Ornstein seems to be pretty good with info for London clubs. Dunno how reliable he is overall, but from what little I've seen he seems less full of shit than many other journalists out there.

I’ve heard this a lot with Fabrizio Romano but thought it was just a wives tail type thing. Never really seen any evidence of it

Derek Rae, Stefan Bienkowski, and Manu Veth for the Bundesliga.  There are a few others as well but those guys seem to have the best stories.

Phil Hay for Leeds news.  His weekly podcast with the Square Ball guys is very entertaining and enlightening.

1 hour ago, Danny said:

I’ve heard this a lot with Fabrizio Romano but thought it was just a wives tail type thing. Never really seen any evidence of it

The Nunez transfer really highlighted how much of a bullshitter he is and how much he relies on the actual Liverpool journalists that know things in order to “break” the news right after they did

Archived