talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

James Maddison - Spurs Complete Deal

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Stan said:

FFS Dan. It was your fault all along. 

This has happened too many times lately - I put out a quite negative prediction yet somehow end up being overly optimistic against what actually turns out. See also our five games so far.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dan said:

I don't know. I think maybe the summer as he's a year behind Tielemans essentially with the contract situation. Next summer is going to be fucking bumpy.

If next season is going to bumpy what this season!?

• Subscriber
56 minutes ago, Spike said:

If next season is going to bumpy what this season!?

The summer could fix things but that requires us being very smart. The fact Rodgers has survived this particular run where he's practically begging to be sacked doesn't fill me with any confidence.

We're going to lose players whether we stay up or go down. We might be in some real mess if we go down though.

12 hours ago, Dan said:

I don't know. I think maybe the summer as he's a year behind Tielemans essentially with the contract situation. Next summer is going to be fucking bumpy.

reports in multiple sources say he wanted to join us and cited that the situation in Leicester in a world cup year was going to hurt him due to zero resources to improve the team.   

he seems like a man resigned to leaving

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

reports in multiple sources say he wanted to join us and cited that the situation in Leicester in a world cup year was going to hurt him due to zero resources to improve the team.   

Which sources were these? 

Just now, Stan said:

Which sources were these? 

none I would definitively say is worth completely leaning on but it is plausible.

Leicester's financial woes are not just down to payroll which is actually not that high.  COVID impacted the owners assets badly falling what was said to be substantial financial damage.   this is why they closed the tap given that even at profit a football club is not a cash cow.   

maddison, Rodgers, Vardy cut pretty dejected figures neither seem interested.  

the other question is why wouldn't Maddison want to play for Newcastle?

• Subscriber

I think it's more believable now given what has panned out and I think it's probably the likeliest scenario you get him in a year, albeit based on this summer I can see it dragging out, unless we've been relegated in which case you'd get him for probably less money - although if we go down I expect others to come in for him too and that could be your problem. If he went to Newcastle he would do well to achieve more there than he has here.

1 hour ago, Dan said:

I think it's more believable now given what has panned out and I think it's probably the likeliest scenario you get him in a year, albeit based on this summer I can see it dragging out, unless we've been relegated in which case you'd get him for probably less money - although if we go down I expect others to come in for him too and that could be your problem. If he went to Newcastle he would do well to achieve more there than he has here.

you turned him into a good player.   due to circumstances out of your control you are financially handicapped which is not what you deserve.   that said Maddison will not commit to a rebuild.   I think you have about 4-5 good young players to build around though so it's far from doom and gloom.

I do feel for Rogers, overachieving has finally caught up and it's no fault of his.  

hopefully Leicester can do enough to survive and maybe even better.

• Subscriber
31 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

you turned him into a good player.   due to circumstances out of your control you are financially handicapped which is not what you deserve.   that said Maddison will not commit to a rebuild.   I think you have about 4-5 good young players to build around though so it's far from doom and gloom.

I do feel for Rogers, overachieving has finally caught up and it's no fault of his.  

hopefully Leicester can do enough to survive and maybe even better.

Rodgers is definitely partly at fault but the club made the mistake in giving him an enormous, risky contract that a club of our stature quite simply shouldn't have been paying out, particularly given his poor track record of building at clubs. We also largely gave him the power to shape things. We bought in his head of recruitment, his club doctor, and both of these departments went to shit - and have contributed to our malaise.

But the club ultimately should've had the foresight to see this. I think our owners' naivety cost us.

Maddison will likely leave in the summer regardless. We're simply not going to be able to match his ambition anymore. Worst case scenario is last last season turns into a bit of an outlier in his form and the World Cup passing kills that extra bit of motivation. You can see it as well.

24 minutes ago, Dan said:

Rodgers is definitely partly at fault but the club made the mistake in giving him an enormous, risky contract that a club of our stature quite simply shouldn't have been paying out, particularly given his poor track record of building at clubs. We also largely gave him the power to shape things. We bought in his head of recruitment, his club doctor, and both of these departments went to shit - and have contributed to our malaise.

But the club ultimately should've had the foresight to see this. I think our owners' naivety cost us.

Maddison will likely leave in the summer regardless. We're simply not going to be able to match his ambition anymore. Worst case scenario is last last season turns into a bit of an outlier in his form and the World Cup passing kills that extra bit of motivation. You can see it as well.

How much is he on mate?

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, True Blue said:

How much is he on mate?

£9-10mil a year. A club like us just simply shouldn't be giving out contracts like that. More than just that though is the length of contract - he's got another three years, so he's still contracted to get about £25-30mil from us.

We're not an elite level club that can take a gamble like that on a manager. It was particularly ill informed given how badly he's given up as well. I'll never forgive the way he's just flunked this. He's either absolutely lost the plot or he's trying to get sacked. Whatever it is it's not on. We took a risk and it backfired.

• 8 months later...
  • The title was changed to James Maddison - Definitely Leaving Leicester
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

It's a fucker that we've got a bidding war between two tightarses. We need Chelsea or Man Utd to save us.

Our summer is sort of paused until we make a big sale and I wouldn't bet on it being Maddison or Barnes. I'm thinking possibly Castagne.

1 hour ago, Dan said:

It's a fucker that we've got a bidding war between two tightarses. We need Chelsea or Man Utd to save us.

Our summer is sort of paused until we make a big sale and I wouldn't bet on it being Maddison or Barnes. I'm thinking possibly Castagne.

Maddison and spurs are a perfect fit, they need a 10 while we need a RW

• The title was changed to James Maddison - Spurs Agree Personal Terms
  • Subscriber
14 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Maddison and spurs are a perfect fit, they need a 10 while we need a RW

He has played right wing for us but it became a bit of a free-role. I long had a theory that it suited him whilst being to the detriment of the team. I think there's a case to say that's a lot of what's happened in the past couple of years.

• The title was changed to James Maddison - Spurs Complete Deal

Archived