talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

James Maddison - Spurs Complete Deal

• Administrator

£40m + add ons. 

Bargain but Spurs win out here with our relegation and only 1 year left. 

But at least it's been done early. Means we can hopefully get some other business done in next week or two. 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Stan said:

£40m + add ons. 

Bargain but Spurs win out here with our relegation and only 1 year left. 

But at least it's been done early. Means we can hopefully get some other business done in next week or two. 

Basically where I stand with it too. It's not a great fee, nowhere near what we could've gotten if we'd sold him say, a year ago (and been in a position to do so) and of course, been a Premier League club.

But we're in a weak position and that's just reality now. I would sooner take £40mil plus add ons now than take £45mil in six weeks. It does appear we're hearing proper links to us now too so the ball is rolling.

• The title was changed to James Maddison - Spurs Complete Deal

To think, Spurs have kinda got him for £30m when you factor they are selling Winks to Leicester for £10m.

The latter has no future at Spurs, and they've upgraded a member of their forst XI, so it's a really great business from them.

I think spurs scored due to a wonderful assist from Newcastle.   Early June we made an offer of 50m which Leicester rejected and wanted 60m.  What Leicester were hoping for was a return bid and maybe spurs and man United entering a bid war that never came.  We pulled interest and moved on to Barella and Tonali.

Leicester panic sold at 40m because they got cold feet, clubs may have blown their wad and if they had him at the close of the window then he would be a free agent signing in January.

• Administrator
45 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

I think spurs scored due to a wonderful assist from Newcastle.   Early June we made an offer of 50m which Leicester rejected and wanted 60m.  What Leicester were hoping for was a return bid and maybe spurs and man United entering a bid war that never came.  We pulled interest and moved on to Barella and Tonali.

Leicester panic sold at 40m because they got cold feet, clubs may have blown their wad and if they had him at the close of the window then he would be a free agent signing in January.

Or nothing to do with Newcastle at all? 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Or nothing to do with Newcastle at all? 

our involvement has a lot to do with why Leicester went from 60m to 40m in two weeks.  once we pulled out there was only spurs left and they were not going to spend more than they ultimately paid.

if you started a low bid war and let it work up as clubs fight it out, you may have gotten 55-65m

• Administrator
Just now, OrangeKhrush said:

our involvement has a lot to do with why Leicester went from 60m to 40m in two weeks.  once we pulled out there was only spurs left and they were not going to spend more than they ultimately paid.

if you started a low bid war and let it work up as clubs fight it out, you may have gotten 55-65m

Okay, thank you Newcastle. 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

spurs are winners and Maddison got what he want.  Leicester didn't quite get what they wanted.

thankfully it's the end, felt like a kitten chasing yarn

Thanks. Forever grateful. 

• Subscriber

We obviously never thought we were going to get sixty. It seems completely common practice to me to ask for more than you 'really' want but I think the priority with us was getting the first big sale done so we can start plotting more accurately what we're going to actually spend ourselves. It also strengthens our hand a touch in the Barnes deal. I think the fact West Ham have just taken that much for Rice means he's going to possibly go for more than Maddison did.

On Maddison himself - this article almost to a word sums up my thoughts on him. I will never deny the talent, he's probably in the top 5 players I've seen for us for pure talent, but he's got baggage and a habit of letting you down a bit; Flashes of greatness and unfulfilled promise: James Maddison’s Leicester legacy — The Fosse Way

The truth is all of this squad is tainted by last season now. It should never have been allowed to happen and they let it.

Archived