talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

UK Politics & Brexit Discussion

football forum

23 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Well, no, he is lying. He's an MEP and we haven't left the EU yet. So it is very much his job to defend a Brit's rights as an EU citizen.

Oh and I've only now just read your second sentence and you agree with me on that xD

Indeed, the MEP in question is going to act dishonestly and not do his/her job. But the strange thing is that for three years we’ve had unadulterated lies and deception from anything resembling political on the Brexit side. Either that or simply not understanding anything about the EU and just incompetent. So what we’ve got here is an MEP telling the truth about how he or she is going to get paid and take EU money into his or her pocket and not do the job he or she is being paid to do.

It’s hard work turning your back on a piece of music.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Meanwhile the US speaker of the house has said that a US trade relations with the UK post-Brexit are contingent upon the Good Friday Agreement not being weakened in the outset of Brexit.

That’s always been the case. The GFA is an international peace treaty. Although Trump is good at throwing those things into the waste paper basket.

19 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

That’s always been the case. The GFA is an international peace treaty. Although Trump is good at throwing those things into the waste paper basket.

Given the fact that so many Americans identify as "Irish-American," to the point where there's members of Congress who've donated to the IRA at the height of the troubles, and their voters don't give a shit... I doubt throwing the GFA into the waste bin would go over well. Even amongst those who have fully bought into the Trump cult.

14 hours ago, Harvsky said:

Curious to know which tariff, quota or restriction would that be turned away at the border for in no deal?

No Deal means No Trade Agreements whatsoever with the EU. Of course the passports can dock into the UK, but as things stand with absolutely no agreement whatsoever the passports would cost a stupid amount of money. Right now as things stand there is no inter-continental allowance. 

38 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

No Deal means No Trade Agreements whatsoever with the EU. Of course the passports can dock into the UK, but as things stand with absolutely no agreement whatsoever the passports would cost a stupid amount of money. Right now as things stand there is no inter-continental allowance. 

So to confirm, the passports can enter the UK and the tweet is a falsification? 

Just now, Harvsky said:

So to confirm, the passports can enter the UK and the tweet is a falsification? 

The guy is being pedantic and using facts to take the piss out of the Brexit campaign. Shall we go back in time (3 years) where there were only positives to leaving the EU and now it’s all about taking it up the arse for a bullshit “independence”.

Right now as things stand those passports are unattainable because of the total cost from production to distribution. They wouldn’t be sanctioned, hence it’s an embarrassment.

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

The guy is being pedantic and using facts to take the piss out of the Brexit campaign.

The end of it is not a fact. This is what I've asked for clarification on. A good political quip might use facts in an exaggerated way, a bad one creates disinformation. The comments in the tweet suggest the latter heavily.

26 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

The end of it is not a fact. This is what I've asked for clarification on. A good political quip might use facts in an exaggerated way, a bad one creates disinformation. The comments in the tweet suggest the latter heavily.

To be honest it is directed at those that have kept and keep themselves informed as to the facts so as the quip works. For those that continue to listen to charlatans and deceivers, we already know they’re not going to change as it’s been over three years and they still BELIEVE in whatever they’re falsely fed.

As I said... As things stand those passports won’t be brought in until a deal is agreed at least in that area which is vital for documentation for those that may have their freedoms taken away from them with a No Deal Brexit (FACT mate).

3 hours ago, SirBalon said:

To be honest it is directed at those that have kept and keep themselves informed as to the facts so as the quip works. For those that continue to listen to charlatans and deceivers, we already know they’re not going to change as it’s been over three years and they still BELIEVE in whatever they’re falsely fed.

As I said... As things stand those passports won’t be brought in until a deal is agreed at least in that area which is vital for documentation for those that may have their freedoms taken away from them with a No Deal Brexit (FACT mate).

What agreement is required to enable an import of this product to not be turned away at the border and why is it not unilateral?

2 hours ago, Harvsky said:

What agreement is required to enable an import of this product to not be turned away at the border and why is it not unilateral?

There is no trade agreement at all with the EU. There are all sorts of restrictions where there aren’t trade agreements at all. Apart from the fact that every movement of the product (post production) has to be paid for. There are (because we’re still in the EU) agreements where in this particular case only the price for manufacturing is paid for (+transportation usually paid for by the manufacturer).

27 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Carl Benjamin wasn’t Brexit party he was UKIP and the whole rape thing is taken massively out of context. Facts mate

Sorry... Not UKIP 2.0... My mistake but you can appreciate how that could happen. Indeed it was the original UKIP Party.

9 hours ago, SirBalon said:

There is no trade agreement at all with the EU. There are all sorts of restrictions where there aren’t trade agreements at all. Apart from the fact that every movement of the product (post production) has to be paid for. There are (because we’re still in the EU) agreements where in this particular case only the price for manufacturing is paid for (+transportation usually paid for by the manufacturer).

Doesn't answer the question at all. 

3 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Doesn't answer the question at all. 

There is no question to answer aside from the fact a hypothetical blue British Passport (a passport the UK were always allowed to have anyway as the EU don’t enforce that) will be produced and manufactured in the EU and the UK under a No Deal Brexit will leave with NO trade agreements even for a particular such as this will HAVE to sort out an agreement with the EU so as the passport becomes an attainable product and either doesn’t cost the tax payer a fortune for a travel and identification document or that even more stretched working class folk can afford it.

2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

There is no question to answer aside from the fact a hypothetical blue British Passport (a passport the UK were always allowed to have anyway as the EU don’t enforce that) will be produced and manufactured in the EU and the UK under a No Deal Brexit will leave with NO trade agreements even for a particular such as this will HAVE to sort out an agreement with the EU so as the passport becomes an attainable product and either doesn’t cost the tax payer a fortune for a travel and identification document or that even more stretched working class folk can afford it.

I feel like you're becoming a politician who wont give straight answers or detail to simple questions which do have answers. Padding everything out with spin and bluster.

What specific bilateral agreement is required to produce and import? Can you produce and import without one? What are the financial differentials showing the levels at which identification documentation is defined by yourself as costing "a fortune"? Is their a difference by import size? Are passports sent directly to citizens from source or via UK office? Does the UK government currently procure from markets outside of the customs union? If so what are the costs and implications? Would said costs and implications make passport importing more expensive than domestic production? If so what are the financial differentials of it? Does the civil service have the ability to remove cost associated with government procurement that might otherwise be an expense to a private enterprise? Did the civil service consider no deal when signing these procurement contracts?

• Upvote 2

Wouldn’t the passports still enter the country, just under WTO rules? So if there’s a WTO rate for passports, whatever that tariff is will be passed on to civil services.

Which I think makes the answer to @Harvsky‘s last question “maybe” - it’s probably a more expensive to bring the passports in with no deal, but it’s likely a negligible tariff (granted, all I know about WTO rules off the top of my head is cars have a 10% tariffs) that’s not much more expensive. Or they didn’t, but I doubt it’s anything massive that’ll make getting a passport a painful and complicated mess compared to what it is now.

There’s definitely bigger Brexit concerns than “can our passports get into the country” - and the idea that trade will just stop after Brexit is just madness. The cost of doing business will be higher, but trade is a necessity so it’ll continue whatever happens. My fear with Brexit is about our negotiating position and what leverage we have in future trade deals though.

But we’ll get our passports, don’t worry about that.

12 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Wouldn’t the passports still enter the country, just under WTO rules? So if there’s a WTO rate for passports, whatever that tariff is will be passed on to civil services.

Which I think makes the answer to @Harvsky‘s last question “maybe” - it’s probably a more expensive to bring the passports in with no deal, but it’s likely a negligible tariff (granted, all I know about WTO rules off the top of my head is cars have a 10% tariffs) that’s not much more expensive. Or they didn’t, but I doubt it’s anything massive that’ll make getting a passport a painful and complicated mess compared to what it is now.

There’s definitely bigger Brexit concerns than “can our passports get into the country” - and the idea that trade will just stop after Brexit is just madness. The cost of doing business will be higher, but trade is a necessity so it’ll continue whatever happens. My fear with Brexit is about our negotiating position and what leverage we have in future trade deals though.

But we’ll get our passports, don’t worry about that.

Under WTO rules you can set your own tariffs and quotas on imports. The key rule is that what you do for one country you must do for all. 

• The title was changed to UK Politics & Brexit Discussion
  • The topic was pinned