talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

UK Politics & Brexit Discussion

football forum

• Administrator
58 minutes ago, Stick With Azeem said:

Is it safe to say Britain isn't exactly Great at the moment ?

It's fucking shit in terms of its politics. Probably the worst it's been since I've been able to vote.

26 minutes ago, Stan said:

It's fucking shit in terms of its politics. Probably the worst it's been since I've been able to vote.

Oh, it's definitely the worst you've ever seen as it's also the worst I've ever seen and I remember the Thatcher years and just previous with clarity. According to political historians, the UK hasn't had this sort of political crisis in over 100 years.

• Subscriber

Conservatives lose their majority as Phillip Lee defects to the Liberal Democrats. Reports that the legislation is set to be passed. The Prime Minister will be bound to request to delay Brexit if MPs don't either vote through a new deal or a no-deal exit before October 31.

37 minutes ago, Stan said:

(I've skipped past the point that 'tragedy' is spelt wrong so you should too :D)

That's a load of nonsense also. This country has been on a road to this or something like it for decades. The issue is the wrong cause has been identified. It's our economics and culture which mean some sort of civil breakdown is inevitable. Radical change is absolutely needed but it needs to be directed for the working class, urban areas forgotten as greedy landlords and buy to let owners grown fat off the poverty of others. They are the enemy. Not the EU. 

Daft wealthy rock stars saying 'it was all so beautiful maaan' don't help. 

Edited by The Artful Dodger

• Subscriber

328 votes to 301. There will be a debate and vote tomorrow on whether to block no deal. Boris claims he will table a proposal for a general election if the house votes to block No Deal.

I still worry that Johnson will just about scrape through an election and we'll end up back at square one, because the public are stupid enough to believe that he will actually try and negotiate a deal, when it's apparently come out that his team for negotiating a deal is one quarter of the size that Theresa May had but sadly our electorate is too ridiculous to pay attention to Boris Johnson's track record of being a known liar and charlatan as long as he shouts some idiotic catch phrase like "take back control" or "brexit means brexit" or "hang the traitors" louder than anyone who is actually trying to discuss the pros and cons of any of the issues at hand.

I'm also getting fed up of people arguing that Brexit "just needs to get done". You being fed up of hearing about it on the news isn't more important than the future of the country being sorted out correctly, but again watch people use this as a rationale for choosing whoever they vote for. There's a woman on Sky News going on about getting the deal done because we want to get back to the national agenda. Yes because the Conservative government were doing such a fine job with education and the NHS before Brexit became everything xD.

Problem is I just don't see Corbyn ever winning a majority and I don't see other parties propping him up in a coalition. If Labour had a more moderate and centrist leader they should be able to walk a general election. I have no idea which way this ends up going now but at least the stalemate is broken and at least the probable No Deal coup looks like it's going to be prevented.

• Thanks 1

• Subscriber

Looks like all 21 Conservative MPs who rebelled tonight are being kicked out of the party by Boris/Cummings.

Incredible stuff. On his second day in Westminster the buffoon has already been defeated in his first major vote and seen his one-seat majority become a minority government 22 seats short of a majority. 

Ken Clarke, the longest serving sitting MP was amongst the rebels, as was Philip Hammond who was chancellor two months ago, and Rory Stewart who stood for the leadership.

Corbyn won't agree to a general election until a no deal Brexit has been taken off the table. 

Farage has been quoted as saying we're rapidly heading to a very dark place.

Rumours that Dominic Cummings has lost it and was wandering around parliament offices tonight with a glass of red wine and challenged Corbyn to go into a general election when he crossed paths with him. Don't believe everything you read but at least one journalist and a Labour shadow cabinet MP have said that something to this effect happened.

Astounding events today and to see so many Conservative MPs stand up in the interests of their constituents and fair democracy, putting their places in their party and probably their seats on the line, has restored a little slither of faith in the government for me.

Watch out for a sting in the tail though as the Tories in the House of Lords (where the government dont hold a majority) are said to be preparing to fight tonight's bill tooth and nail.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Looks like all 21 Conservative MPs who rebelled tonight are being kicked out of the party by Boris/Cummings.

I find this disgusting.

People choose to fight for what's right for their country over their party (which is the right thing to do) and this is how they get treated. 

Utterly disgusting.

I think if I were you guys I'd be absolutely fuming that the rival party can't serve up an electable candidate to deliver the well earned punishment the current government deserves... Corbyns like he's the dummy candidate a dictator would appoint as his opposition just to give people a pretend choice at the election.

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Harry said:

I think if I were you guys I'd be absolutely fuming that the rival party can't serve up an electable candidate to deliver the well earned punishment the current government deserves... Corbyns like he's the dummy candidate a dictator would appoint as his opposition just to give people a pretend choice at the election.

I think it's gone past the point of fuming to be honest. Any intelligent opposition leader would grab the first chance they can to topple the opposition - Corbyn's had countless opportunities to do so with May since the referendum but hasn't. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stan said:

I think it's gone past the point of fuming to be honest. Any intelligent opposition leader would grab the first chance they can to topple the opposition - Corbyn's had countless opportunities to do so with May since the referendum but hasn't. 

Aside from Corbyn's policies being way too out there (although I do agree with the foundation of those policies), he is covered in the Anti-Semitism issue and how he's "dealt" with it and also the fact that during the period the Brexit debating was going on in the House of Commons, he decided to campaign for a General Election. Not everyone is stupid in this country.

• The title was changed to UK Politics & Brexit Discussion
  • The topic was pinned