talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

City Building Games

football forum

Anyone else a fan?

Used to play a lot of Sim City in the past. 

I got City Skylines, but haven't played it for ages after I got frustrated because the traffic in my city became a mess. xD

But look at this. It looks absolutely amazing:

Anyone other recommendations when it comes to that genre? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I do like simulation type games like that, though I'm not very good at making good cities, theme parks etc. I really liked Sim City 2000 back in the day, though idiot me never knew how to get the water running for the city and struggled to do anything, as well as struggling to make money.

I did buy City Skylines on Steam a whole ago, but haven't had the chance to play it.

In terms of recommendations, I can't think of any city ones off the top of my head, though heard that Two Point Hospital (Theme Hospital's spiritual successor) and Two Point Campus are meant to be very good.

Edited by Bluebird Hewitt

• Subscriber
33 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Anyone else a fan?

Yes! I've always been a massive fan. In fact, the absolute majority of games I play fall under this genre.

My all time favourites are the old Sierra games, especially Pharaoh and Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom. Have played countless of hours, and they also have aged well. There's a Pharaoh remake in the works, I have it in my Steam wishlist already :D 

Then Tropico and Anno series. 

From the relatively new ones, I love Surviving Mars and Nebuchadnezzar. 

Workers & Resources: Soviet Republic is interesting because of how unique it is. It also has by far the best economy and industry management in any video game. Pretty hard though. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Oh and @Tommy, I also forgot to mention Planetbase. I always mix it up with Surviving Mars due to both having the same setting of planetary colony building, and because the latter is a newer one and still gets some new updates/DLCs, I tend to forget Planetbase when talking about base building games... I had much fun with both, the key difference is that Surviving Mars has more depth, larger scale, more manual micromanagement, and highly variable levels of difficulty, whereas Planetbase is much faster, simpler, more intuitive, but also gets repetitive faster. As an example, in Planetbase, you start the game with a spaceship and a crew from the very start, and can start building your colony immediately, with the crew taking up jobs automatically, and while there are some pretty devastating events making it difficult from time to time, the game gets very repetitive once you get through that and build a full fledged, self-sustainable colony. I remember the last time I played it, I ran out of space to expand in like 20 hours. Meanwhile, in Surviving Mars, you start with a rocket and some drones, and have to construct the whole infrastructure (very detailed and based on real science) and gather resources before you can even build your first dome and get the first crew of colonists down to the planet, where they have to survive for a specific time as a proof that the colony is safe and can be expanded, and then you have plenty of other things going on including a pretty large tech-tree, random mysteries and events, exploration, and the biggest challenge of all, actually terraforming the planet (only with Green Planet DLC though). So anyway, while it might sound as a criticism of Planetbase and a praise of Surviving Mars, I would actually recommend them both, and I think Planetbase would be by far more fun for those who don't particularly like too much complexity and micromanagement in their base building games. The reason why I'm posting this now is because I recently installed both and am having a lot of fun :D 

On a related note, I'm getting Per Aspera and Aven Colony next, will keep you updated xD 

Edited by nudge
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, nudge said:

Oh and @Tommy, I also forgot to mention Planetbase. I always mix it up with Surviving Mars due to both having the same setting of planetary colony building, and because the latter is a newer one and still gets some new updates/DLCs, I tend to forget Planetbase when talking about base building games... I had much fun with both, the key difference is that Surviving Mars has more depth, larger scale, more manual micromanagement, and highly variable levels of difficulty, whereas Planetbase is much faster, simpler, more intuitive, but also gets repetitive faster. As an example, in Planetbase, you start the game with a spaceship and a crew from the very start, and can start building your colony immediately, with the crew taking up jobs automatically, and while there are some pretty devastating events making it difficult from time to time, the game gets very repetitive once you get through that and build a full fledged, self-sustainable colony. I remember the last time I played it, I ran out of space to expand in like 20 hours. Meanwhile, in Surviving Mars, you start with a rocket and some drones, and have to construct the whole infrastructure (very detailed and based on real science) and gather resources before you can even build your first dome and get the first crew of colonists down to the planet, where they have to survive for a specific time as a proof that the colony is safe and can be expanded, and then you have plenty of other things going on including a pretty large tech-tree, random mysteries and events, exploration, and the biggest challenge of all, actually terraforming the planet (only with Green Planet DLC though). So anyway, while it might sound as a criticism of Planetbase and a praise of Surviving Mars, I would actually recommend them both, and I think Planetbase would be by far more fun for those who don't particularly like too much complexity and micromanagement in their base building games. The reason why I'm posting this now is because I recently installed both and am having a lot of fun :D 

On a related note, I'm getting Per Aspera next, will keep you updated xD 

Thanks! I already checked out Surviving Mars, and it looks amazing. I will probably get it when it's on sale on Steam. Definitely sounds more appealing than Planetbase. I hate games that get repetitive fast. Also with what you're saying that it's faster and simpler, it sounds like it should have rather been a mobile game. xD

Just checked out the trailer for Per Aspera as well. Looks great. :o Have fun, and do indeed keep me posted. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Tommy said:

Thanks! I already checked out Surviving Mars, and it looks amazing. I will probably get it when it's on sale on Steam. Definitely sounds more appealing than Planetbase. I hate games that get repetitive fast. Also with what you're saying that it's faster and simpler, it sounds like it should have rather been a mobile game. xD

Just checked out the trailer for Per Aspera as well. Looks great. :o Have fun, and do indeed keep me posted. 

Oh no, it's not THAT fast and simple haha 😅 But yeah, do get Surviving Mars when you get the chance. It was free on Epic Games at one point, so might be worth keeping an eye on it, too...

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, nudge said:

@Tommy Surviving Mars is on Steam's Autumn sale, only 7.49€ for the base game now! :) 

Cheers! Wow, there's a lot of DLC's. Any worth getting? I see the "Digital Deluxe Edition" is only 2,50 € more. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Cheers! Wow, there's a lot of DLC's. Any worth getting? I see the "Digital Deluxe Edition" is only 2,50 € more. 

Deluxe upgrade is not really worth it, it's just some wallpapers, art book, additional radio station and some cosmetic stuff.

Green Planet is a must-have DLC, it enables terraforming and that adds A LOT to the main game! The rest of them you can easily ignore. If you decide that you really like the game, you could get the Space Race DLC later on.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

I just bought Aven Colony on Steam for a whopping 4.49$ xD Heard mixed reviews; apparently it's a bit too easy and one-dimensional, but then it looks absolutely beautiful and at that price, it's a no brainer...

• Upvote 1

If it wasn’t for SimCity I would have missed the notification on my laptop of a flight to Melbourne from Perth, where I would then fly from Melbourne to Auckland about 12 hours after that. Instead I would have gone to bed.

Because of that SimCity is an OG game

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • Subscriber

Laysara is an upcoming city building game that caught my attention recently. You basically build your city on a mountain, definitely inspired by Nepal/Tibet/Bhutan cultures and architecture styles. Played the demo on steam, and it looks really beautiful. Will probably buy it once it's released.

• Wow 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, nudge said:

Laysara is an upcoming city building game that caught my attention recently. You basically build your city on a mountain, definitely inspired by Nepal/Tibet/Bhutan cultures and architecture styles. Played the demo on steam, and it looks really beautiful. Will probably buy it once it's released.

That looks amazing. Especially those bridges and other connections between the plateaus. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
Just now, Tommy said:

That looks amazing. Especially those bridges and other connections between the plateaus. 

Yep! I also like that because it makes it a bit different from every other city builder; a sort of authentic setting...

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Pyfish said:

Laysara looks amazing - seen a few friends play the demo on stream and it looks amazing. Would probably kill my PC though

The demo ran perfectly on my potato laptop, so I'm sure you'll be fine! :D

• Haha 1