The better place to talk football.

Crystal Palace 0-0 Newcastle - Saturday 21st January, 2023

football forum

• Administrator

Kick-off 17.30

Live on Sky Sports

1200px-Crystal_Palace_FC_logo_(2022).svg        VS     image.png

Last 3 Meetings
09/11/2022 - Newcastle p0-0 Crystal Palace (EFL Cup)
03/09/2022 - Newcastle 0-0 Crystal Palace
20/04/2022 - Newcastle 1-0 Crystal Palace

Recent Form
Crystal Palace - DLLLW
Newcastle - WWLDD 

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lucas said:

Miguel Almiron's gone back to being a shit Jack Grealish then.

I wouldn't blame him,  he wasn't the one with misses,  but the problem with the inverted winger is that it is predictable that he is going to cut back,  I was hoping to see Almiron and St Maximin switch for a while so they can get to the byline and get a cross in. 

What we need is a forward that has the pace to make the back post gamble,  to many danger balls go missing as nobody gambles on the back post.    

Anyhow,  palace had 1 shot on target, 30% of the ball and gave up 15 corners,  these are better problems to have than say Everton's

• Subscriber

Newcastle's toothlessness could cost them I think. I had this down as ending 0-0. They're a good unit and very well organised but they definitely lack a bit of magic going forward.

Palace are lowkey the dullest side in the division these days. Which is mad because their players certainly aren't dull.

6 hours ago, Dan said:

Newcastle's toothlessness could cost them I think. I had this down as ending 0-0. They're a good unit and very well organised but they definitely lack a bit of magic going forward.

Palace are lowkey the dullest side in the division these days. Which is mad because their players certainly aren't dull.

have to buy a spark plug player who can open things up.  Maddison would be that but then he took an arrow to the knee

A great point for us.

Newcastle looked good but only created a lot of half chances, Mateta had the best chance of the game which forced a great save from Pope.

Seven points ahead of the relegation zone. If we end up with that gap at the end of this horrendous fixtures I'll be delighted.

7 hours ago, Dan said:

We've shut up shop in the last three games because our fixture run up until we play you is horrendous. Which is exactly the correct decision to make.

We are 2/3 players short at the minute. Hopefully we can get a central midfielder and an attacking player so we can begin attacking teams again from April onwards.

We had a similar problem at the start of the season. Plenty of "shots" but not scoring. Then the goals came.

I'm torn between whether we just need patience or to try and force the issue with a change or two. 

Defensively we remain excellent. Whilst at this level anyone can score against you at any time, in general play we are comfortable and never under threat.

3 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

Defensively we remain excellent.

That's the good aspect of having a game where you can't/don't score.. all the time you are shutting teams out you can still walk away with at least a point which for now is good for Newcastle given where you find yourselves this season.. For longer term ambitions though you will need players that can come off the bench and make a difference or get that elusive winner because if Toons are going to be pushing for European football on a regular basis going forward then draws just won't be good enough.. 

The club have done well not to be going in and spending silly money like some clubs I could mention but always knowing financially you have the ability to bring in a quality player if needed

• Subscriber
21 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

A great point for us.

Newcastle looked good but only created a lot of half chances, Mateta had the best chance of the game which forced a great save from Pope.

Seven points ahead of the relegation zone. If we end up with that gap at the end of this horrendous fixtures I'll be delighted.

We've shut up shop in the last three games because our fixture run up until we play you is horrendous. Which is exactly the correct decision to make.

We are 2/3 players short at the minute. Hopefully we can get a central midfielder and an attacking player so we can begin attacking teams again from April onwards.

I think back to when you came here as well though, you played for a 0-0 and got it but I thought it was a criminal lack of ambition against a side in terrible knick. It might be a French manager thing, it reminds me a bit of Puel.

• The title was changed to Crystal Palace 0-0 Newcastle - Saturday 21st January, 2023
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived