• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

West Ham 1-1 Chelsea - Saturday 11th February, 2023

football forums

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

No I know mate, really annoys me. I missed most the game as I was telling everyone in the pub how VAR works. So annoying - people are just ignorant these days.

Mate you can take the piss all you want I don't care. I've seen ex referees say all the time how fans and pundits don't understand how its works. Just because an opinion is unpopular among people who don't understand it doesn't matter when people who do disagree 

6 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

It's a factually true statement though that video assistant referees have to be certain the on field decision is wrong. I think they should be able to advice the referee that they think it's more than likely its wrong myself but those aren't the rules 

Yeah but it’s pretty clear and obvious they should have stepped in there

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah but it’s pretty clear and obvious they should have stepped in there

Well you're watching it on TV with no consequences if your wrong. If you were in a studio and if you recommend to many things to the referee to often you may loose your job it would be different 

I just give up on this fucking refs. We were very good in the first and not that much in the second. Kai shouldn't be starting when we have other options but for some reason the man is undroppable. I don't dislike him but he isn't in form and should be benched.

2 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Peter Walton thinks it was a penalty. He just be wrong because he’s retired now and just a fan. I don’t even know the offside rule because I’m just a fan. Throw in or freekick? Drop ball or kick off? Who knows. I’m just a fan with no idea of the rules.

Yes and he may be right. But then we'll see what Gallagher says on ref watch. He may disagree.  And then even if he does think it was a penalty he may say var couldn't have overturned it because they couldn't be sure. Quite often they say that there isn't enough to turn over the original decision. If it had been given it may not have been overturned. Its been mentioned loads of times by the Premier league that they have to be certain to overturn it.  I don't like it myself. I think they should be able to advice that they think it's likely the wrong decision.  But those aren't the rules and that's not the var assistants fault.

5 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Well you're watching it on TV with no consequences if your wrong. If you were in a studio and if you recommend to many things to the referee to often you may loose your job it would be different 

Doubt it because refs never really face serious repercussions for being shit on the job

4 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Mate you can take the piss all you want I don't care. I've seen ex referees say all the time how fans and pundits don't understand how its works. Just because an opinion is unpopular among people who don't understand it doesn't matter when people who do disagree 

We see the obvious and they are paid to spot the obvious. on top of that they have VAR to help them spot the not so obvious in slow motion to get the big/controversial calls right if they choose to use it. On this occasion rather than using it to double check the not so obvious the ref decided his decision would be final regardless... The fact they don't have to talk to anyone about that call after the game allows them to shrink back in to the shadows without accountability or penalty and so the cycle will continue.... 

4 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Hands up if you’ve ever seen a referee fired from the Premier League for a shite decision? Like properly fired?

Anyone? Anyone?

Thought not.

One was demoted a few years back. And referee's and var assistants work on a point based system and get more bigger games and more money for better performances. They rarely get demoted because it's not done on a relegation system. Championship referee's can become premier league referee's if they reach a certain standard. But they don't relegate and promote referee's they pick the best in the country. They don't promote the best  referee from the championship and relegate the worst from the Premier league if the worst in the Premier league is better 

11 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

We see the obvious and they are paid to spot the obvious. on top of that they have VAR to help them spot the not so obvious in slow motion to get the big/controversial calls right if they choose to use it. On this occasion rather than using it to double check the not so obvious the ref decided his decision would be final regardless... The fact they don't have to talk to anyone about that call after the game allows them to shrink back in to the shadows without accountability or penalty and so the cycle will continue.... 

A minute ago you were blaming the var now you are blaming the referee. The var would have checked it. If they didn't advice him he wouldn't have known it was wrong. You say there is no accouability but there is. Better referee's get more money and bigger games. And also when they get decisions wrong they are hounded by the media and fans so they are under pressure to get things right.

10 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

That's because they're not shit. They allow for a certain amount of human error and if they are within that limit they are not fired. 

But they can make shit decisions that cost sides points... 

Personally I think if any side is worthy of the win then it shouldn't come down to one call like that to decide a winner, If our players had stayed onside we would have won 3-1, if we hadn't fallen asleep at the back it could have been 3-0 but having said that if a game is going to be decided on a controversial decision then I expect the ref to use all the technology at his disposal to get that right but if a ref can just decide he is in the right regardless what's the point in that?? The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few and all that... 

4 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

A minute ago you were blaming the var now you are blaming the referee.

They are both part of the same system.... They will only advise if it's clear and obvious like an offside or if the ref requests it.. If he doesn't then it's play on.. 

2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

But they can make shit decisions that cost sides points... 

Personally I think if any side is worthy of the win then it shouldn't come down to one call like that to decide a winner, If our players had stayed onside we would have won 3-1, if we hadn't fallen asleep at the back it could have been 3-0 but having said that if a game is going to be decided on a controversial decision then I expect the ref to use all the technology at his disposal to get that right but if a ref can just decide he is in the right regardless what's the point in that?? The neds of the many outweigh the needs of the few and all that... 

I've explained  how the var system works so many times. If you can't understand what certain means that's not my fault. Why don't you volunteer to be a var assistant referee if you think you know so much. 

3 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

They are both part of the same system.... They will only advise if it's clear and obvious like an offside or if the ref requests it.. If he doesn't then it's play on.. 

If the referee thought he was right why would he ask var? He may well of been wrong but he isn't going to ask var if he doesn't think he was. 

2 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

If the referee thought he was right why would he ask var? He may well of been wrong but he isn't going to ask var

Well there is the answer to your own question.... Even if he had been wrong he still wouldn't use VAR to clarify his decision to make sure it was the right call so what's the point in having technology if you don't use it to clear up important decisions?? 

Anyway.. my patience has dwindled now so... 

No Questions GIF by CBC

10 minutes ago, Cicero said:

2 wins in 13. 

Not good enough. 

Yes regardless of the team Potter inherited should have done better. Sacking Tuchel was always piss poor decision, and nothing against Potter but he doesn't look like a manager that can make it big. Hope i am wrong and i still wish him well.

1 hour ago, Bluewolf said:

Well there is the answer to your own question.... Even if he had been wrong he still wouldn't use VAR to clarify his decision to make sure it was the right call so what's the point in having technology if you don't use it to clear up important decisions?? 

Anyway.. my patience has dwindled now so... 

No Questions GIF by CBC

Because why would he ask var if he had no reason to think he's wrong.Var doesn't work like that. You don't check every major decision. I can't be bothered either. I felt in an argumentative mood for some reason and now I don't. 

12 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Yes regardless of the team Potter inherited should have done better. Sacking Tuchel was always piss poor decision, and nothing against Potter but he doesn't look like a manager that can make it big. Hope i am wrong and i still wish him well.

I get the impression with Chelsea a lot is wrong. I think perhaps potter would have done better of abramovich was there?? Does his style suit the players or will it take time. If you hire a manager with a different style then surely you have to give them time to get their own players in or what's the point?

Archived