talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Formula One - General Chat

football forum

• Subscriber

I don't really care about the grid girls as so many races are on at 5am in Britain these days that I don't wake up early enough to appreciate them. The halo is bad but also not that noticeable when it comes to the quality of racing. Other issues discussed are much more relevant to the racing which is what I want to see from F1.

• Subscriber

I think most people who complain (including me) are not really that upset about things like removing grid girls or adding the halo as such (both of which are still shite, but it's surely not the end of the world), it's more like they are getting frustrated seeing that things like that (e.g. making it more family-friendly, more show-biz like, more accessible to young generation with an attention span of a goldfish) are apparently the priority, instead of focusing on issues that put actual proper racing into jeopardy...

• Subscriber

Now in English as well: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/135189/f1-seeks-urgent-fixes-for-lack-of-overtaking

So basically, the are suggesting bigger rear wing flap for more effective DRS, simplification of the front wing by banning wing cascades, and DRS activation anywhere on track.

Rules for 2019 they already agreed on:

• 80 kg minimum weight of a driver+seat to eliminate the disadvantage for heavier drivers
  • simplified bodywork in the bargeboard
  • lower exhausts with tighter regulations (not allowed to be pointing upwards) to prevent rear wing blowing

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Stan said:

what's the bargeboard xD? Sounds like something that should be on a boat!

hehe, it's an aerodynamic part between the front wheels and the sidepods. They are basically just lowering it so they can have more sponsor space on the chassis, apparently xD 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, nudge said:

hehe, it's an aerodynamic part between the front wheels and the sidepods. They are basically just lowering it so they can have more sponsor space on the chassis, apparently xD 

ah, the important things!

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
58 minutes ago, nudge said:

Now in English as well: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/135189/f1-seeks-urgent-fixes-for-lack-of-overtaking

So basically, the are suggesting bigger rear wing flap for more effective DRS, simplification of the front wing by banning wing cascades, and DRS activation anywhere on track.

Rules for 2019 they already agreed on:

• 80 kg minimum weight of a driver+seat to eliminate the disadvantage for heavier drivers
  • simplified bodywork in the bargeboard
  • lower exhausts with tighter regulations (not allowed to be pointing upwards) to prevent rear wing blowing

Fuck off. I absolutely hate DRS. If I want to see one car cruising past another on a long straight I'll go and stand on a bridge above a motorway (and probably jump off it).

F1 should be the best drivers in the best cars overtaking by braking as late as possible and testing the limits of grip.

They do need to simplify the front wings and generally redesign the cars do that they rely less on downforce and get disrupted less in the dirty air of another car. I've heard creating downforce more from the floor and diffuser instead of the wings could be helpful.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Fuck off. I absolutely hate DRS. If I want to see one car cruising past another on a long straight I'll go and stand on a bridge above a motorway (and probably jump off it).

F1 should be the best drivers in the best cars overtaking by braking as late as possible and testing the limits of grip.

They do need to simplify the front wings and generally redesign the cars do that they rely less on downforce and get disrupted less in the dirty air of another car. I've heard creating downforce more from the floor and diffuser instead of the wings could be helpful.

Ground effect :x

9 hours ago, nudge said:

Ground effect :x

Correct, that's ground effect, but it comes with its own problems.

The more a car relies on ground effect, the likelier that the driver will lose control completely when he drives above a bump. If you combine bumpy track surfaces with a lack of run off areas and gross negligence in general  (mostly Italian tracks), you are going to endanger the drivers.

Edited by BartraPique1932
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
43 minutes ago, BartraPique1932 said:

Correct, that's ground effect, but it comes with its own problems.

The more a car relies on ground effect, the likelier that the driver will lose control completely when he driver above a bump. If you combine bumpy track surfaces with a lack of run off areas and gross negligence in general  (mostly Italian tracks), you are going to endanger the drivers.

I know hehe, cornering speeds were an issue with ground effect in the past, but probably a proper balance could be found though, especially with all the technological develoments? Because as it stands now, it's shite. What else could be done? More mechanical grip, less aerodynamics in general? Probably better racing-wise, but I'd expect the cars would be a lot slower, and that's not what we want either, I suppose.

Edited by nudge

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Tommy said:

Sounds great! Let's see if Ferrari really leaves, or if they were just bluffing. 

Ah, so we're starting the new competition of "let's see who can hide the most money", lovely. 

On 4/4/2018 at 01:28, Cannabis said:

Bernie Ecclestone not only looks like a Ballbag but he is one aswell, totally clueless when it comes to bringing in new ideas. 

Not that Liberty Media are any different mind, no grid girls and the halo has made me lose so much faith in them, I dread to think what the sport could look like in five years time.

this one ---   https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/43671432

Owners Liberty Media presented more detail on their aims to the teams at the Bahrain Grand Prix on Friday.

A budget cap of around $150m is central to the aim to close up the field, along with more equitable prize money distribution and technical changes.

• Subscriber

I say this every year but we should all watch more Formula 2. Very high standard of driving and better racing in general than F1.

Lando Norris about to take victory in Race 1 at Bahrain. Markelov who started from the pitlane chasing down Sette Camara for 2nd in the closing stages.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I say this every year but we should all watch more Formula 2. Very high standard of driving and better racing in general than F1.

Lando Norris about to take victory in Race 1 at Bahrain. Markelov who started from the pitlane chasing down Sette Camara for 2nd in the closing stages.

Yes, you should. Second-class predictors should watch second-class formula racing.

:ph34r:

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I say this every year but we should all watch more Formula C. Very high standard of driving and better racing in general than F1.

I had to choose between it and VLN today, chose the latter, but I will try to watch more of Formula 2 and Formula 3 this year, both offer good racing action.