talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Formula One - General Chat

football forum

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Such bizarre behaviour from @Stan in this thread. Utter cringe.

what's bizarre about it?

Hamilton lover - you

Ferrari lover - me and Tommy. (Vettel more so for the latter). 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, nudge said:

Shit race though, I don't think I saw a single overtake other than the illegal one by Verstappen on Alonso during the safety car phase xD 

Have to agree with Nudge here... 

3 hours ago, Faithcore said:

Well. You know I like you but you are dead wrong on this one.

Tactically this race was a masterpiece. A benchmark. Racing is not only about overtakes, there is so much more to it.

Well I beg to differ... how can you call it a race if no bugger overtakes anyone??? Just an endless stream of drivers stuck pretty much in the same positions almost from the start of the race to the finish.. Might as well be stuck on the motorway for all the overtaking that gets done.. just an endless 2+ hours of bettering lap times really.. I used to like this sport when there was some passion and a bit more of an aggressive attitude from drivers wanting to win... Now the most excitement we get is watching a driver shave a nano second off his gear change time on lap 42 or throwing away his lead by coming into the pits or when something goes tits up with the car... 

I have a mate who loves this sport and sometimes I call him while I know he is watching it just to wind him up by talking loads of bollocks when I know he is just dying to hang up on me... that's about the only fun I get out of the sport these days.. 

Edited by Bluewolf
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

Have to agree with Nudge here... 

Well I beg to differ... how can you call it a race if no bugger overtakes anyone??? Just an endless stream of drivers stuck pretty much in the same positions almost from the start of the race to the finish.. Might as well be stuck on the motorway for all the overtaking that gets done.. just an endless 2+ hours of bettering lap times really.. I used to like this sport when there was some passion and a bit more of an aggressive attitude from drivers wanting to win... Now the most excitement we get is watching a driver shave a nano second off his gear change time on lap 42 or throwing away his lead by coming into the pits or when something goes tits up with the car... 

I have a mate who loves this sport and sometimes I call him while I know he is watching it just to wind him up by talking loads of bollocks when I know he is just dying to hang up on me... that about the only fun I get out of the sport these days.. 

Faithcore was just joking there, he's practicing to be the next F1 commentator for German TV :P 

For me, F1 still lives on its image and reputation from the past, as the way it is now, you can hardly even call it racing. The cars are too complicated, too high-tech, the driver has too little control,  there's too little if any race action and battles, and as Phil mentioned before, too much is being decided by the team strategy instead of the actual driving on the track. Add too that boring driver personalities off track, dumbed down circuits, stupid tires, artificial rules and gimmicks, overregulation; it's all became too sterile and too much like a racing sim. I'm still watching though, haha. 

30 minutes ago, nudge said:

Faithcore was just joking there, he's practicing to be the next F1 commentator for German TV :P 

For me, F1 still lives on its image and reputation from the past, as the way it is now, you can hardly even call it racing. The cars are too complicated, too high-tech, the driver has too little control,  there's too little if any race action and battles, and as Phil mentioned before, too much is being decided by the team strategy instead of the actual driving on the track. Add too that boring driver personalities off track, dumbed down circuits, stupid tires, artificial rules and gimmicks, overregulation; it's all became too sterile and too much like a racing sim. I'm still watching though, haha. 

You say that but that Hamilton fella seems alright.... :ph34r:

Agree with the rest though, The rules, regs, technology and such has ruined it as a competitive sport... Might as well have a crash test dummy in the seat going round and round... Scalextrics for adults... 

Edited by Bluewolf

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

You say that but that Hamilton fella seems alright though.... :ph34r:

Agree with the rest though, The rules, regs, technology and such has ruined it as a competitive sport... Might as well have a crash test dummy in the seat going round and round... Scalextrics for adults... 

Only if you appreciate bad sense of dressing and social media obsession :ph34r: 

• Haha 1

• Subscriber

Bottas took his time getting through the field in what was the fastest car. Goes to show how difficult it is to overtake these days as cars get more grippy and the amount of wiggle room in each braking zone continues to shrink.

The feeling of Hamilton chasing down Vettel when he was clearly faster but knowing that he couldn't overtake unless Vettel made a significant mistake reminded me of Monaco.

We've had dull opening races though in previous seasons which have been followed up by classics. Today was pretty boring but I'm not ready to make the sweeping statements many people like to start making about the state of the sport these days.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Bottas took his time getting through the field in what was the fastest car. Goes to show how difficult it is to overtake these days as cars get more grippy and the amount of wiggle room in each braking zone continues to shrink.

The feeling of Hamilton chasing down Vettel when he was clearly faster but knowing that he couldn't overtake unless Vettel made a significant mistake reminded me of Monaco.

We've had dull opening races though in previous seasons which have been followed up by classics. Today was pretty boring but I'm not ready to make the sweeping statements many people like to start making about the state of the sport these days.

isn't it difficult to overtake in Melbourne anyway?

• Subscriber

Bahrain up next, a power circuit, it will be even harder for Ferrari (and Red Bull) to keep up with Mercedes' PU advantage, so they definitely have work to do. The circuit should at least provide more genuine overtaking opportunities, so more race action, hopefully. One thing I definitely expect from this season is a tight midfield battle though, McLaren, Renault, Haas all looking good.

• Subscriber

I'd disagree, it's certainly easier to overtake in some tracks than in some others as they usually offer more opportunities due to either a lot of long straights, or a long straight combined with a tight turn/heavy braking zone. Baku, Shanghai, Bahrain, COTA, Monza, Spa have more overtaking opportunities for that reason, many of them were designed by Tilke the way they are for that reason specifically. Australia, Barcelona, Singapore, Monaco are very difficult to overtake.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, nudge said:

I'd disagree, it's certainly easier to overtake in some tracks than in some others as they usually offer more opportunities due to either a lot of long straights, or a long straight combined with a tight turn/heavy braking zone. Baku, Shanghai, Bahrain, COTA, Monza, Spa have more overtaking opportunities for that reason, many of them were designed by Tilke the way they are for that reason specifically. Australia, Barcelona, Singapore, Monaco are very difficult to overtake.

You can't put Melbourne in the same bracket as those other tracks? Turn 1, turn 3 and the corner after the high speed chicane are all better overtaking opportunities than anywhere at those other three circuits apart from perhaps Barcelona turn 1 and Singapore turn 7.

Baku, Shanghai, even Spa and Monza have straights where you generally see one car cruise past another with DRS which I don't personally class as overtaking, just one car driving past another. COTA has one long straight like that but generally is one of the new circuits that makes for some decent wheel to wheel action.

If you look through the archives at Melbourne you'll find a lot more "classic" races than you would at most other venues that have been around a similar amount of time such as Hungaroring, Barcelona, Kuala Lumpur. Granted many of these are due to the nature of the first race of the season being more susceptible to drama and people making mistakes.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

You can't put Melbourne in the same bracket as those other tracks? Turn 1, turn 3 and the corner after the high speed chicane are all better overtaking opportunities than anywhere at those other three circuits apart from perhaps Barcelona turn 1 and Singapore turn 7.

Baku, Shanghai, even Spa and Monza have straights where you generally see one car cruise past another with DRS which I don't personally class as overtaking, just one car driving past another. COTA has one long straight like that but generally is one of the new circuits that makes for some decent wheel to wheel action.

If you look through the archives at Melbourne you'll find a lot more "classic" races than you would at most other venues that have been around a similar amount of time such as Hungaroring, Barcelona, Kuala Lumpur. Granted many of these are due to the nature of the first race of the season being more susceptible to drama and people making mistakes.

The straights in Melbourne are not long enough, there are a lot of 90 degree corners and the track is flat and quite narrow in general, Turn 3 is the only decent place for overtaking, in my opinion. It might be easier in terms of overtaking than Barcelona, Singapore or Monaco, but it still much harder than many others. Meanwhile, Shanghai, Bahrain, COTA, Spa are wide tracks with a lot of runoff, long sweeping corners, heavy braking zones, wide apexes, medium-speed corners followed by straights, all of which allows diverse racing lines and provides opportunities for overtaking. As you said before, overtaking is very difficult in these F1 cars either way; mostly due to new regulations as the cars struggle to follow each other in dirty air and barely any overtakes happen if you don't count DRS, but a track layout still makes a difference nevertheless. Maybe it's more noticeable in other series than F1 though.

Personally, the only classic race I remember from Melbourne was when Ralf Schumacher flew over Barrichello, forcing at least a handful of other cars to retire as well xD I'm sure where were more, but that's honestly the only one I recall from otherwise "boring" track (in my personal opinion).

• Upvote 1