talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Formula One - General Chat

football forum

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, Cannabis said:

McLaren still shit then? 

Well apparently their latest issues have been caused by a bad batch of batteries supplied by Renault who took full responsibility (Red Bull also had some issues with that). However, McLaren also had a hydraulic leak that led to loss of hydraulic pressure yesterday too, it's unclear what's the reason for that, could be bad design/manufacturing. They appeared to have some cooling issues during the first test week, and even had to cut engine cover for more air (and that's although it was damn cold and snowing!) and well, they also lost a wheel due to failed wheel bolt or nut xD 

• Subscriber

They're just so fucking hopeless. Overheating, oil leak, now they're changing the engine.

Cooling is a big problem, it's a clear pattern with chassis/engine integration issues even with a new supplier now. Will have to make changes to the bodywork for sure, at the very least to the engine cover; they have by far the smallest inlets from all the cars on the grid and it's obviously not working, even with added cooling holes during Week 1. 

• Subscriber

So that's the second engine change in just three days for them. Looks very reliable :ph34r:

On a positive note, it looks like the midfield will be extremely close this season. Renault seem to have hugely improved too, I see them as a kind of a dark horse. Also, I've been surprised with Toro Rosso so far, they look to have a pretty fast, reliable car, even if it is said to struggle a bit in low speed corners but makes up for it on the exits. Force India are not impressing, but it's not surprising considering they went testing with a simpler version of the car and will introduce a big update package for the first race of the season. McLaren is definitely fast, so if they can sort themselves out, they'll surely be there leading the upper midfield too. 

The way I see it at the moment (based purely on testing):

Mercedes

Red Bull
Ferrari

Renault
McLaren* (if they sort themselves out)

Toro Rosso
Force India
Williams

Haas
Sauber

Edited by nudge

4 hours ago, nudge said:

The way I see it at the moment (based purely on testing):

Mercedes

Red Bull
Ferrari

Pffft, please. Day 4 results:

1vdtof1urrk01.jpg

The oppression of Mercedes will never return! 

• Subscriber
29 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Pffft, please. Day 4 results:

1vdtof1urrk01.jpg

The oppression of Mercedes will never return! 

I think Ferrari is definitely closing the gap, but I still expect Mercedes to be upfront. Also, Red Bull look to be extremely close to the top two, I definitely see them in the same ballpark with Ferrari, or veeeeery close to them at the very least. I'm actually quite excited that we might just have a three horse race this season, and the competition in midfield might turn out to be the tightest in recent years. I probably underestimated Haas in my previous post too, they seem to have made huge improvements, and might be just in a position to lead the midfield, although I kinda suspect they might be struggling with developments as the season progresses. At any case, all of this is surely just speculation, as it's impossible to know all variables, and as always, the general picture from the pre-season testing can be very misleading. I think the only thing that's clear is that Sauber will be the last car on the grid, sadly, even with the improved car :( 

Here's the final conclusion of the two weeks of testing:

1520617468-global-test-driver.png

like all the previous years, i can't trust the results of the testing.   It's only on the 3rd or 4th race of the calendar that we can see the true pace and reliability of the cars.

but fack man ... this halo bullshit is nothing but a hindrance for the drivers.  I understand that they need to protect the drivers but if their aim is to prevent deaths like that one of Jules ( RIP ) then they're just wasting their time.   How can that thin piece of carbon fiber be able to hold out when you're doing 160 MpH and hitting a crane ??   It'll be only a hindrance when  you're driving at 180-200 miles per hour and you have something disturbing your CENTRAL vision.   That nonsense contraption will either cause accidents or make the drivers go slower.

Image result for formula one 2018 halo

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, bozziovai said:

like all the previous years, i can't trust the results of the testing.   It's only on the 3rd or 4th race of the calendar that we can see the true pace and reliability of the cars.

but fack man ... this halo bullshit is nothing but a hindrance for the drivers.  I understand that they need to protect the drivers but if their aim is to prevent deaths like that one of Jules ( RIP ) then they're just wasting their time.   How can that thin piece of carbon fiber be able to hold out when you're doing 160 MpH and hitting a crane ??   It'll be only a hindrance when  you're driving at 180-200 miles per hour and you have something disturbing your CENTRAL vision.   That nonsense contraption will either cause accidents or make the drivers go slower.

Image result for formula one 2018 halo

Absolutely, and the drivers' vision will be particularly affected in certain situations, such as parts of circuits with elevation changes, so mainly Spa and COTA. Magnussen already said that it could be very problematic in Eau Rouge; that corner is already very dangerous (RIP Stefan Bellof :( ), and now with halo blocking the view, it could lead to serious accidents. 

Edited by nudge

• Subscriber

Would love to see McLaren be competitive again and I was hoping to put their struggles down to Honda as a lot of good feedback was given on their chassis especially towards the end of 2017. Looks like I'll be hoping for another year...

On 3/10/2018 at 18:01, nudge said:

Absolutely, and the drivers' vision will be particularly affected in certain situations, such as parts of circuits with elevation changes, so mainly Spa and COTA. Magnussen already said that it could be very problematic in Eau Rouge; that corner is already very dangerous (RIP Stefan Bellof :( ), and now with halo blocking the view, it could lead to serious accidents. 

this might be outdated but just look at these figures.

for Canada ::

2015 Fastest Race Lap – 1’16.987 (Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari)

2005 Fastest Race Lap – 1’14.384 (Kimi Raikkonen, McLaren)

1995 Fastest Race Lap – 1’29.174 (Michael Schumacher, Benetton)

for Monaco

2015 Fastest Race Lap – 1’18.063 (Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull)

2005 Fastest Race Lap – 1’15.842 (Michael Schumacher, Ferrari)

1995 Fastest Race Lap – 1’24.621 (Jean Alesi, Ferrar

so ... for the first race.   australia ... 

here are the stats of last year ....

pole position by Hamilton with a time of --  

1'22''188 

fastest lap by kimi of ferrari with ---

1'26''538 

now, let's see for this year what will be their speeds ....

Edited by bozziovai

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Haha, Toto Wolff wanting to cut the bloody thing off with a chainsaw is class xD 

I think at some point in the future we're just going to have completely closed cockpits in F1.

that's going to be facking ugly.

for you f1 fans here ... what car do you consider the sexiest/classiest ??

coz mine's the 2004 ferrari --

Image result for ferrari 2004 f1

• Upvote 1