talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Formula One - General Chat

football forum

I knew Bottas had some problem with his new car, but Jesus Christ! This is not the most technically demanding track and Mercedes should still be faster than Ferrari, although the gap is not as big as last season. Dog shit performance from Bottas. 

Edited by BartraPique1932

• Subscriber
22 minutes ago, BartraPique1932 said:

I knew Bottas had some problem with his new car, but Jesus Christ! This is not the most technically demanding track and Mercedes should still be faster than Ferrari, although the gap is not as big as last season. Dog shit performance from Bottas. 

What? Hamilton couldn't keep up with Ferrari either. They were just faster today. If Mercedes have the race pace tomorrow he could easily take the victory.

35 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I think it was pretty clear all weekend that Ferrari have the edge at least over a single lap.

Hamilton topped Kimi on yellow tires in Q2.

Mercedes still have more engine power, but the halo might affect them more in a negative way than Ferarri, because both cars have a fundamentally different areo design.

• Subscriber

Lol, such rhetoric.

Bottas is no elite driver but he gets all this flak when he did better than Kimi last year.

Also last week people were saying Bottas not good enough for Mercedes because he crashed in qualifying. Didn't hear a peep about Max pointing his car the wrong way for the second weekend running.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

I was going to go into detail about the whole grid like I usually do but have a thumping headache so am calling it a day. 

To be in the elite as Bottas is then you have to get poles and win races, Valtierri just doesn't seem able to do that. 

Like I said I'm not saying he's in the elite but I just find it weird people are getting on his back today when he couldn't have done more. Qualified within a tenth or two of the Ferraris who were both driving what was clearly a superior car to the limit.

Bottas did get a couple of poles and a couple of decent wins last year. He lost his way in the second half of the season while Hamilton was in a class of his own. He's the perfect second driver for Mercedes, allowed Hamilton to canter to the championship last season whilst outperforming Kimi comfortably to bring home the Constructors title.

If you're asking whether he's good enough to take over when Lewis leaves Mercedes that's a different question. I wouldn't rule it out depending on when that time comes but there are plenty of doubts for the time being and many drivers who will be gunning to replace him if the pecking order remains similar to what it is now.

• Administrator

@RandoEFC some great footage there.

1) - that move at 2mins is superb from Markelov and equally so by Sette Camara to just about avoid the side-swiping on the back of Markelov and take back 2nd. 

2) - that foreign co-commentator is hilarious. he needs to take a breath sometimes though xD 

3) - how many of these drivers will realistically make it in to F1? Does it even work like that, like a feeder system? 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Stan said:

@RandoEFC some great footage there.

1) - that move at 2mins is superb from Markelov and equally so by Sette Camara to just about avoid the side-swiping on the back of Markelov and take back 2nd. 

2) - that foreign co-commentator is hilarious. he needs to take a breath sometimes though xD 

3) - how many of these drivers will realistically make it in to F1? Does it even work like that, like a feeder system? 

Almost all of the current grid came through F2, most of them were in there when it was called GP2 though but it was essentially the same thing.

I went to the British GP in 2010 and 2011. I can't remember which year it was but we watched all of the feeder series including GP2 (featuring Sergio Perez and Pastor Maldonado), GP3 (featuring Esteban Gutierrez) and Formula BMW (featuring Carlos Sainz Jr).

Lewis Hamilton came into F1 as a GP2 champion, as did Maldonado and Hulkenberg if I remember correctly. Jolyon Palmer and Charles Leclerc more recently.

The main exception are the Red Bull academy drivers who seem to take different routes through the feeder series before getting a chance at Toro Rosso. However the FIA have set it up nicely now that there is a clear route through GP3 and F2 to get to Formula 1, with both of those series attached to most F1 race weekends. It's also good that Sky Sports F1 have the rights and show all of the qualifying and races if you're minded to watch the up and comers.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Also worth mentioning that both Formula 2 and Formula 3 are spec series, so the teams have very limited changes they can make to the car, making the racing very competitive. Due to smaller performance gaps between cars, the focus is primarily on individual skills of the driver, making it a very good system for a feeder series/talent identification, in my opinion.

16 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

This was the battle in the F2 race earlier for 2nd place between the Brazilian Sette Camara and Russian Markelov who started the race from the pitlane after stalling on the starting grid.

when they both saw the pit lane banner FINAL LAP ...... those two say elvis's  it's now or never ...  very nice.

back to f1.    i hope kimi will make a good start and take the lead on the first lap until the last :P  :P