talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Formula One - General Chat

football forum

• Subscriber
34 minutes ago, Stan said:

Kubica is in a no-lose situation here really.

Bet he's loving being back on the grid regardless after all he's been through and anything that goes wrong can just be blamed on Williams being absolute shithouses anyway xD 

I can see your point, but I'd personally say that driving a bad car which is being a few seconds a lap slower than everyone else without any hope of improvement throughout the season is extremely frustrating and no racing driver would be happy with it whatsoever... The only thing that would be worth it is getting picked up by some other team next season but it's going to be hard to impress anyone in a car which once again seems to be undrivable. Russell at least has an opportunity to impress by performing better than Kubica.

32 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Proper laughed at that when watching the press conference, he's right though nobody can deny it. 

I'm really worried about Russell though, he's such a talent and don't want him to be lost to the abyss because of an inevitable poor season with Williams.

Yeah, that's definitely a concern. The only thing that might play into his cards is the fact that there are no real extraordinary supertalents (compared to the likes of Leclerc, Verstappen, Russell, etc. in recent years) in F2/F3 at the moment so even with the inevitably poor season with Williams he should be alright I think. Even more so if he manages to keep up with or even outperform Kubica.

• Administrator

Did anyone else ever play F1 2000 on PlayStation? 

One of my first racing games I had on the console and used to play it endlessly with my brother. Having a bit of nostalgia and this song was on it so giving it an airing :x

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

The Grand Prix games from 1998-2002 were well ahead of their time. It took until the Codemasters third or fourth attempt at a game to really take over.

I used to have loads of GP4 mods. Such a brutally challenging game, sometimes I just put on a full AI race and let it run its course because the way reliability, weather changes, driver performance and mistakes were programmed in, while very simplistic, made it a very believable race experience. The only downside was that AI drivers would lap with pretty much constant performance all the way through.

4 minutes ago, nudge said:

I can understand about every 10th word he's saying :4_joy:

I think in the Netflix show it's okay. But probably because I use English subtitles anyway. I remember when the commentators were talking to him on TV, while he was sitting at the pit wall. "dksfskdfskdfskdfkjdsfkjkj very good"  - "Thanks, Cyrill". 

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I think in the Netflix show it's okay. But probably because I use English subtitles anyway. I remember when the commentators were talking to him on TV, while he was sitting at the pit wall. "dksfskdfskdfskdfkjdsfkjkj very good"  - "Thanks, Cyrill". 

I find subtitles distracting so I avoid them whenever possible... The bolded part is exactly how it sounds most of the time in the show for me xD 

• Subscriber

Halfway through the series and I'm loving it so far; great job there by Netflix. So much "behind the scenes" coverage. Didn't expect it to be that good to be fair, and I'm also glad Ferrari and Mercedes denied access to the filming team as they'd surely steal the spotlight and now it really manages to keep things interesting with other stories of other teams. 

9 minutes ago, nudge said:

Halfway through the series and I'm loving it so far; great job there by Netflix. So much "behind the scenes" coverage. Didn't expect it to be that good to be fair, and I'm also glad Ferrari and Mercedes denied access to the filming team as they'd surely steal the spotlight and now it really manages to keep things interesting with other stories of other teams. 

My favourite scene is in Episode 4. When it's announced that Red Bull leaves Renault, and Horner and Cyrill meet for the first time after that. When Horner stares at Cyrill and Cyrill doesn't know where to look and looks up in the sky before cracking up :4_joy:

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

My favourite scene is in Episode 4. When it's announced that Red Bull leaves Renault, and Horner and Cyrill meet for the first time after that. When Horner stares at Cyrill and Cyrill doesn't know where to look and looks up in the sky before cracking up :4_joy:

That was extremely awkward; both obviously felt uncomfortable :7_sweat_smile:  Cyrill's remark ala "now you need an engine and a driver" was a bit cuntish though...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

Cyrill's remark ala "now you need an engine and a driver" was a bit cuntish though...

Na, it was great. Horner dishes out A LOT, so he should be able to take it as well. Cyrill went up a big notch in my book because of that remark xD

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Na, it was great. Horner dishes out A LOT, so he should be able to take it as well. Cyrill went up a big notch in my book because of that remark xD

I really dislike Renault as a brand, their engine has been very problematic in recent years and Cyrill is like a French caricature of Mr. Bean to me so I'm definitely taking sides here but I thought it was a blow below the belt there haha xD 

Renault coming back as a works team was a bad idea in my opinion. Due to their budget they will struggle, they should have stayed as an engine supplier. that way they could have poured all their resources into the engine, and RB would pour money into car development. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Why? :o 

And Cyrill makes quite a competent and nice impressions to me, so I don't get the Mr. Bean thing either :4_joy:

Just a personal preference; I always found their cars extremely ugly and they also used to lack reliability badly (not sure how it is now as I haven't had anything to do with their cars in the last 10 years haha) so I just developed a distaste for it.

Cyril comes across as a self-righteous annoying arrogant wanker most of the time to me and on top of that he and his body language is also awkward af hence the Mr. Bean comparison xD 

Just now, nudge said:

Just a personal preference; I always found their cars extremely ugly and they also used to lack reliability badly (not sure how it is now as I haven't had anything to do with their cars in the last 10 years haha) so I just developed a distaste for it.

Cyril comes across as a self-righteous annoying arrogant wanker most of the time to me and on top of that he and his body language is also awkward af hence the Mr. Bean comparison xD 

Oh, I see. I don't mind Renault at all. 

Hmm, maybe I can relate with the awkward body language and that's why I like him so much :D But yea nah, he's a good bloke. Hats off to him for standing up against a bully like Red Bull Horner. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Oh, I see. I don't mind Renault at all. 

Hmm, maybe I can relate with the awkward body language and that's why I like him so much :D But yea nah, he's a good bloke. Hats off to him for standing up against a bully like Red Bull Horner. 

I think this is a good example of how different people can see things :D 

• Upvote 1

Want some races this year where it is raining, full wets having to be used for a full race. We not had this since Brazil 2016, we had light rain in a race and also rain in qualifying. But not during a race.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Want some races this year where it is raining, full wets having to be used for a full race. We not had this since Brazil 2016, we had light rain in a race and also rain in qualifying. But not during a race.

Spa in heavy rain would be my dream. But it would probably be red-flagged anyway.

The last race I've seen that had extreme rain was Daytona 24 hours earlier this year (non F1 obviously); it got red-flagged at some point but they were out for hours and it was way too much; water standing on track, pretty much no visibility and the cars aquaplaning on every corner...

• Administrator
31 minutes ago, nudge said:

Has anyone read the new "Secret Aerodynamicist" column on BBC? Pretty informative.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/47527705

Yep, very insightful and the amount of depth they go in to is superb, but at the same time you don't lose interest through misunderstanding or it being too complicated.

Looking forward to seeing what else they produce throughout the season, and hopefully not just focus on Mercedes & Ferrari even though they pull in the biggest audience.

And of course not to mention all the conspiracy theories or rumours throughout the season as to who this person may work for xD 

• Upvote 1