talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2024/08/liverpool-fc-transfers-fsg-jurgen-klopp-brendan-rodgers-ian-graham/

Think this just confirms what a lot of Liverpool fans suspected about Liverpool transfers under Rodgers. Still amazing he thought Benteke would be a good fit.

Holy shit, thank god we got Coutinho over Paul Ince xD - aside from Coutinho at his best being far better than Ince, who at best I think looked like a decent prospect honestly, that money from the sale to Barca got us some massive signings that helped us win a title and CL.

13 hours ago, LFCMike said:

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2024/08/liverpool-fc-transfers-fsg-jurgen-klopp-brendan-rodgers-ian-graham/

Think this just confirms what a lot of Liverpool fans suspected about Liverpool transfers under Rodgers. Still amazing he thought Benteke would be a good fit.

Classic Rodgers, and classic boomers thinking they know better than the data. 

• Subscriber

Are Liverpool going to sign anyone? I've read that they have the money and obviously plenty of headroom when it comes to PSR but also saw an article about US investment in the Premier League going "out of fashion" so FSG and some owners of other clubs not wanting to spend to their full capability.

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

Are Liverpool going to sign anyone? I've read that they have the money and obviously plenty of headroom when it comes to PSR but also saw an article about US investment in the Premier League going "out of fashion" so FSG and some owners of other clubs not wanting to spend to their full capability.

We have the money, but they’ve been especially weird the last few years when it comes to spending some of it. We’ve sold three promising youngsters, rather than loaning them out.

I have no idea what the game plan is, but I can’t say I’m very impressed with it. Signing a GK who isn’t going to be playing for us for another two years instead of spending that money on a #6 is just bizarre. Not long left of the window now, and I seriously doubt that we will do much of anything. 

16 hours ago, Rick said:

I’m hoping/expecting that by the end of this window we will have a new CB through the door. Can’t be selling Van den Berg & Gomez without bringing somebody in. 

Sounds like Gomez will stay based on what Slot said this morning

4 hours ago, Rick said:

We have the money, but they’ve been especially weird the last few years when it comes to spending some of it. We’ve sold three promising youngsters, rather than loaning them out.

I have no idea what the game plan is, but I can’t say I’m very impressed with it. Signing a GK who isn’t going to be playing for us for another two years instead of spending that money on a #6 is just bizarre. Not long left of the window now, and I seriously doubt that we will do much of anything. 

People laud Edwards and were happy to see him back and then are surprised when he and his people operate as they have done for years. Doesn't make much sense to me but there you go

5 hours ago, LFCMike said:

People laud Edwards and were happy to see him back and then are surprised when he and his people operate as they have done for years. Doesn't make much sense to me but there you go

Did Edwards have a summer where we signed literally nobody, though? I think people generally like Edwards because he got his transfers done with relatively little background noise - very little in the way of media leaks and long drawn out sagas (other than the Virgil Van Dijk saga)... and most of his signings turned out to be really great. Keita's probably the only one that I think was a genuinely bad deal and even then, he had some big moments for us.

Now he's not quite DOF, he's the DOF's boss - so I do think it's strange that with Hughes as DOF under him we had a mini-saga with Zubimendi that turned out to be a big throwback of our failure to land a big name midfielder last season (which is obviously going to disappoint people) & other than that we're apparently still making moves for that Valencia keeper that won't even play for us this season.

I think it's understandably frustrating when last season was a good season, that probably could have been a great season, had we had a bit more depth... and now this season we're going into the season with mostly the same squad - but with fewer players. It doesn't fill me with great optimism if we're hoping to compete with City and Arsenal for the title.

I fear we're just shooting for a top 4 finish... and the problem with that is if we miss our shot it's pretty bad for us. After last season, I'd argue FSG should be setting us up to shoot for going for the title all season long and not falling away at the end due to depth. That way if we miss, we can still have what could be considered a pretty decent season. If we miss top 4, I think all LFC fans will be pretty unhappy.

I think it's a bold move to not back a new manager in their first window and to see how the current squad gels, while also trimming some of the depth we've got in the squad. If the plan is to let him assess the squad until January... it's a gamble but maybe it pays off, but the danger there is the January market is usually more expensive than the summer market. I can't really see FSG being too keen on any big signing in January unless one of Hughes' top targets is suddenly available.

Couple that with basically no news on a new contract for Trent, Salah, and Virgil... and I think it's understandable that there's a lot of anxiety amongst the fans. Especially with regard to Trent's contract and the belief that Bellingham & Madrid are going to do all they can to lure him there once his contract is up.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Did Edwards have a summer where we signed literally nobody, though? I think people generally like Edwards because he got his transfers done with relatively little background noise - very little in the way of media leaks and long drawn out sagas (other than the Virgil Van Dijk saga)... and most of his signings turned out to be really great. Keita's probably the only one that I think was a genuinely bad deal and even then, he had some big moments for us.

Now he's not quite DOF, he's the DOF's boss - so I do think it's strange that with Hughes as DOF under him we had a mini-saga with Zubimendi that turned out to be a big throwback of our failure to land a big name midfielder last season (which is obviously going to disappoint people) & other than that we're apparently still making moves for that Valencia keeper that won't even play for us this season.

I think it's understandably frustrating when last season was a good season, that probably could have been a great season, had we had a bit more depth... and now this season we're going into the season with mostly the same squad - but with fewer players. It doesn't fill me with great optimism if we're hoping to compete with City and Arsenal for the title.

I fear we're just shooting for a top 4 finish... and the problem with that is if we miss our shot it's pretty bad for us. After last season, I'd argue FSG should be setting us up to shoot for going for the title all season long and not falling away at the end due to depth. That way if we miss, we can still have what could be considered a pretty decent season. If we miss top 4, I think all LFC fans will be pretty unhappy.

I think it's a bold move to not back a new manager in their first window and to see how the current squad gels, while also trimming some of the depth we've got in the squad. If the plan is to let him assess the squad until January... it's a gamble but maybe it pays off, but the danger there is the January market is usually more expensive than the summer market. I can't really see FSG being too keen on any big signing in January unless one of Hughes' top targets is suddenly available.

Couple that with basically no news on a new contract for Trent, Salah, and Virgil... and I think it's understandable that there's a lot of anxiety amongst the fans. Especially with regard to Trent's contract and the belief that Bellingham & Madrid are going to do all they can to lure him there once his contract is up.

The season we won the league we signed a back up keeper to replace the one that we sold. That was it. That was hardly strengthening the squad in terms of signings. There was plenty Edwards and his team got wrong early on.

I get that people want signings but it's hardly a disaster if we don't sign anyone. I don't buy the weaker squad thing either because we've lost two players who barely played last season. That is surely balanced out by young players being better a year on and maybe Slot gets something different out of one or two playing slightly different roles.

I don't think it's a case of not backing the manager. Clearly the money is there to spend, they'll just want to spend it on someone they're sure will be success.

Don't buy the 'they won't fancy buying in January'. Liverpool have made plenty of big signings in January and will do so if the opportunity presents itself. 

I just don't think there's any need for Liverpool to be forced into a panic buy or a short term solution.

It’s not a panic buy though? We are needing a DM. We can’t rely on Gravenberch there just because he had a good second half vs Ipswich. Slot clearly doesn’t think Endo can do that job either. We should have a backup option if Zumbimendi didn’t sign. He won’t come here full stop, so it’s not a case of eating it out like we did with Virj. Go and put in a big for #2 on the list. Put some big money on rather table for Wharton, he’d be ideal. 

11 hours ago, Rick said:

It’s not a panic buy though? We are needing a DM. We can’t rely on Gravenberch there just because he had a good second half vs Ipswich. Slot clearly doesn’t think Endo can do that job either. We should have a backup option if Zumbimendi didn’t sign. He won’t come here full stop, so it’s not a case of eating it out like we did with Virj. Go and put in a big for #2 on the list. Put some big money on rather table for Wharton, he’d be ideal. 

Maybe they have? Maybe whoever they want next is not available. There could be plenty of reasons why they haven't signed any one else yet. 

Wharton who hasn't even played half a season in the Premier League. I'm sure he'll need to do it over a longer period before any one commits to what will be a huge fee. 

4 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Maybe they have? Maybe whoever they want next is not available. There could be plenty of reasons why they haven't signed any one else yet. 

Wharton who hasn't even played half a season in the Premier League. I'm sure he'll need to do it over a longer period before any one commits to what will be a huge fee. 

Or maybe they are being tight cunts? Sick of these excuses about targets not being available. Every other team on earth manage to sign players, but we are the only club that struggle to sign their targets…not having it I’m afraid. 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Rick said:

Or maybe they are being tight cunts? Sick of these excuses about targets not being available. Every other team on earth manage to sign players, but we are the only club that struggle to sign their targets…not having it I’m afraid. 

This idea that Liverpool can't find a player that improves them doesn't seem to stack up when people point out that Arsenal and Man City, who were better than Liverpool last season, have managed to identify and sign targets to improve them.

I wouldn't panic but I think Liverpool have to be careful here. One or two apathetic or overly cautious transfer windows can kill you for a couple of seasons or more if you're trying to compete in the elite competitions.

I'd be a bit concerned if I was you. I just don't think Liverpool's owners are willing to be aggressive in the transfer market and that's what you'll need to stay close to Man City. There's still a week left to change the picture though. 

3 hours ago, Rick said:

What do you think they're doing with the money if they're not spending it? They made a very small profit last year and a loss the year before if I recall. Nothing to do with being tight cunts, everything to do with trying to make sure they don't make expensive mistakes.

11 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

What do you think they're doing with the money if they're not spending it? They made a very small profit last year and a loss the year before if I recall. Nothing to do with being tight cunts, everything to do with trying to make sure they don't make expensive mistakes.

Rando pretty much said everything above. If City and Arsenal can identify and sign players to improve their squads, then so can we. This inactivity is stupid as fuck, and if we do end up making signings it’ll still be stupid to leave shit this late. Not only do the players take time to gel with a new team, late buys cost you more. 

5 minutes ago, Rick said:

Rando pretty much said everything above. If City and Arsenal can identify and sign players to improve their squads, then so can we. This inactivity is stupid as fuck, and if we do end up making signings it’ll still be stupid to leave shit this late. Not only do the players take time to gel with a new team, late buys cost you more. 

Haha so whatever Liverpool do you'll never be happy. They just need to win the transfer window early to feed your addiction . 

I get it, you can't improve through coaching, you have to sign multiple players every summer

I imagine the manager change has had an impact. Only Chelsea seem totally ok with spaffing money around on players the current or next manager may or may not want.

And it is hard to argue Liverpool did not perform well for large parts of last season.

But nearly every Liverpool fan playing whatever football games is signing a number 6 & either a CB or another forward.

9 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Haha so whatever Liverpool do you'll never be happy. They just need to win the transfer window early to feed your addiction . 

I get it, you can't improve through coaching, you have to sign multiple players every summer

Load of bollocks. You happy with randomly trying to play Gravenberch in the #6. Telling me that there are no players out there available that can do that role better than him? You happy about having two very injury prone centre backs and a 19 year old lad as 3 of our 4 options? 

You just will not have anything at all negative said about this club, not a single thing and it’s fucking weird. It’s hardly the world that the fans want here is it? Just a couple of players to improve the squad, to keep up with the two teams who finished above us last season. Why is that so unreasonable to you? 

On 25/08/2024 at 00:43, Dr. Gonzo said:

Wtf is the point in signing him if Alisson plans to stay for years

Unfortunately Alisson does get injured quite a lot for a goalkeeper. 

On 25/08/2024 at 08:56, Rick said:

Load of bollocks. You happy with randomly trying to play Gravenberch in the #6. Telling me that there are no players out there available that can do that role better than him? You happy about having two very injury prone centre backs and a 19 year old lad as 3 of our 4 options? 

You just will not have anything at all negative said about this club, not a single thing and it’s fucking weird. It’s hardly the world that the fans want here is it? Just a couple of players to improve the squad, to keep up with the two teams who finished above us last season. Why is that so unreasonable to you? 

I used to be very critical of the way the club was being run but I don't see any need for that these days in terms of the football side. The super league stuff, ticket prices, copyright stuff yeah go for it and criticize them. They've got a lot right in terms of the football side though and I'm not sure you'd have the complaints you do had they not missed out three times to a club with 115 charges hanging over them. 

I think with FSG you have to take the good with the bad. The good is: they do actually care about us being competitive generally. The bad is: they are very complacent and if we’ve had what can be considered a pretty decent season, they’re not too motivated to reinforce the first team.

In previous seasons though, I think that’s led to us wasting seasons where we’ve had a genuinely world class manager with a couple genuinely world class players.

My big fear with us having Salah, Trent, and Virgil all on expiring contracts is… they might just let all 3 walk. It’s been a HUGE complaint Boston Red Sox fans have had about FSG - letting top players leave. FSG aren’t too popular with them because FSG’s ambition doesn’t seem to be consistent year-in-year-out.

For them it’s just business. For us it’s more important than that. It is what it is.

It’d obviously be easier to take if we weren’t competing against a gulf state’s board of tourism budget. But we are.

2 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Unfortunately Alisson does get injured quite a lot for a goalkeeper. 

I used to be very critical of the way the club was being run but I don't see any need for that these days in terms of the football side. The super league stuff, ticket prices, copyright stuff yeah go for it and criticize them. They've got a lot right in terms of the football side though and I'm not sure you'd have the complaints you do had they not missed out three times to a club with 115 charges hanging over them. 

The last part is a good point, but I also think we could have beaten them to titles another once or twice if FSG hadn’t sat on their laurels with the teams. They rightly had the believe in Klopp to compete with the best, but at times he had one hand tied behind his back. Can’t help but feel like it was a wasted opportunity at times. 

I think this team has some holes that can be plugged with a couple of player incomings. If you asked ten Liverpool fans, I’d say 8/10 of them would give you the same positions that they feel we need help with. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rick said:

The last part is a good point, but I also think we could have beaten them to titles another once or twice if FSG hadn’t sat on their laurels with the teams. They rightly had the believe in Klopp to compete with the best, but at times he had one hand tied behind his back. Can’t help but feel like it was a wasted opportunity at times. 

I think this team has some holes that can be plugged with a couple of player incomings. If you asked ten Liverpool fans, I’d say 8/10 of them would give you the same positions that they feel we need help with. 

I'm not sure we can be critical of the two seasons under Klopp where we finished second by a point and say if they'd spent more money we'd have won it. 18/19 we get 97 points, the summer before we'd signed Alisson, Fabinho and Keita for big money. It was just a ridiculous bar to win the league that season. 21/22 (92 points) we sign Diaz in the January which gives us a boost and we then go on a run that takes the title race to the final day. Klopp was part of that recruitment team and never gave the impression he was unhappy with how Liverpool were operating in the transfer market.

Arsenal have spent huge money over the last few years but still haven't broken the 90+ points needed to win the league. 

Anyway, this is the same conversation every summer and we're never going to agree are we...