talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

I have a bigger question. Why is Klopp in that pic?

Think it's originally a pic from when Ward was announced as our new DoF when Edwards was stepping down.

With Edwards and Ward both back so quickly after the news Klopp is leaving, it does make me wonder if part of the reason they left has something to do with him having increased power at the club. The thing is, while Edwards proved to be incredible at his job over time, there is the fact that both Edwards and Ward were at the club before Klopp was there and didn't quite enjoy the same success. Although tbf, Rodgers hated the transfer committee and resented their signings. And with players like Firmino, Rodgers simply couldn't get the best out of that Edwards signing... even though I think he's absolutely one of the best transfers we've made in modern history.

7 hours ago, Stan said:

Yeah Nunez seems to miss the more gilt-edged close-range chances. 

Their conversion rate is skewed as well because of the type of shots they'll both take, as well. A mitigating factor so to speak.

Diaz' shot conversion rate this season is 12.90%

Nunez' is 12.79%. 

According to Footystats:

Screenshot_20240510-135439.png

Screenshot_20240510-135501.png

I think I'd rather keep Diaz than Nunez, if it came down to having to pick one to stay and one to go. They've both been outrageously frustrating though and with Slot coming in, I do wonder if we'll see Gakpo play more on the left side of a front 3 - which is apparently his preferred position. And if that's the case, it makes me wonder how either Diaz or Nunez would actually fit in with us.

I think in the off season we should probably try to bring in a CB we can count on to start most matches for the long term as well as another striker, ideally one that's actually clinical and not someone like Nunez. I'd also say we should probably go for a CDM... but Endo's been pretty handy and we've got Morton coming back from loan at Hull where Hull fans seem to think he's great - might be worth giving him a shot at earning a place in the side.

But up front I think is where our biggest issues lie, but there's also some definite truth to the fact we could do to shore up our defense a bit. It's actually absurd how many matches we've conceded the first goal and honestly considering how long that's been an issue for us, it's no wonder our title race faltered at the last second. We've been putting pressure on our attacking players all season by constantly having to chase matches. Although apparently Slot's teams are also comeback kings so maybe the shaky defensiveness is "part of the plan" - certainly makes it hard to compete with the likes of City though.

I feel like people have gone way overboard on their criticism of Liverpool the last few weeks. It was always meant to be a transitional season but the desperation to win the title and more in Klopp's last season has skewed opinions I feel. 

11 hours ago, LFCMike said:

I feel like people have gone way overboard on their criticism of Liverpool the last few weeks. It was always meant to be a transitional season but the desperation to win the title and more in Klopp's last season has skewed opinions I feel. 

I feel like you’re still looking at the season with the same glasses as you had on in August, prior to it starting. Things change, and the team got itself into a position where the title was entirely possible. Getting bombed out of Europe by an inferior team (credit to Atalanta, but we should have been in the final of the cup) then losing at home to palace, being embarrassed by Everton & then giving up two points to West Ham in the space of a fortnight is a total collapse.

The players get credit for the work they put in, but that credit is zapped away quite quickly when you look at the last 6 weeks. It’s not just the results and points dropped, it’s the performances which have been really concerning and at times, downright unprofessional. Some of the defending in the Everton game…fuck me, that was a disgrace. Against your city rivals…that’s not on. 

16 hours ago, LFCMike said:

I think it’s just the nature of how fickle narratives in football can be. It’s a long, gruelling 38 game season with 3 Cup competitions thrown in too. You were so good in 2023 and mostly because you had a strong starting eleven that was rarely injured. But then you accrue injuries to Salah, Jones, Trent, Allison, sure some others too, but your best players are suddenly out at different points, have to come back and build up form and confidence in the hardest part of the season. You’re then expecting players like Mac Allister, Szobslai and Endo to step up even though it’s the first season at the club, in a new aggressive style with 2/3 having never played in England before.

I think you were always going to struggle if you suffered injuries to key players at key times because you don’t have the squad depth, and then on top of that last season City and Arsenal were competing for a title whilst you finished outside the top 4. It’s a massive jump to make. And I’ve not even mentioned the jeopardy of Klopp leaving.

On 12/05/2024 at 17:01, Danny said:

I think it’s just the nature of how fickle narratives in football can be. It’s a long, gruelling 38 game season with 3 Cup competitions thrown in too. You were so good in 2023 and mostly because you had a strong starting eleven that was rarely injured. But then you accrue injuries to Salah, Jones, Trent, Allison, sure some others too, but your best players are suddenly out at different points, have to come back and build up form and confidence in the hardest part of the season. You’re then expecting players like Mac Allister, Szobslai and Endo to step up even though it’s the first season at the club, in a new aggressive style with 2/3 having never played in England before.

I think you were always going to struggle if you suffered injuries to key players at key times because you don’t have the squad depth, and then on top of that last season City and Arsenal were competing for a title whilst you finished outside the top 4. It’s a massive jump to make. And I’ve not even mentioned the jeopardy of Klopp leaving.

I think we coped well with the injuries in January/February time. We were getting through games while having to play a few fringe players. But like you say it was those injured players coming back at the hardest part of the season and maybe some were rushed back too. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

I saw a sky news article that liverpool will be letting Matip and Thiago go.   I actually thought Thiago had already go, talk about a passenger.

Played 5 minutes this season I think then got injured again. Shame about the injuries because he's a great player on his day. Obviously not contributed as much as we'd hoped when he signed but I don't think he's the failure some will make out. Liverpool's best run post league win was during 21/22 when Thiago and Fabinho were key in midfield. 

Shame Matip's time with us ended how it did. One of Klopp's earliest signings and a very good player for us, playing his part alongside Van Dijk in our very best period under Klopp

32 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Played 5 minutes this season I think then got injured again. Shame about the injuries because he's a great player on his day. Obviously not contributed as much as we'd hoped when he signed but I don't think he's the failure some will make out. Liverpool's best run post league win was during 21/22 when Thiago and Fabinho were key in midfield. 

Shame Matip's time with us ended how it did. One of Klopp's earliest signings and a very good player for us, playing his part alongside Van Dijk in our very best period under Klopp

Yeah, I share the same feelings for both. Really shame that both couldn’t end the season fit, but it’s pretty much summed up their time here. Both quality players, but unfortunately really injury prone. 

7 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

I saw a sky news article that liverpool will be letting Matip and Thiago go.   I actually thought Thiago had already go, talk about a passenger.

Some birds that were on the pitch when we played Brentford (I think) got more time on the pitch this season than Thiago did. Great player, but ultimately a luxury signing that didn't really help us because of how injury prone he is - so not really a great signing. Gutted about Matip though, was one of our best free agent signings of all time despite his own injury woes. Gave us many great moments.

Hope they'll be replaced with players that are close to as good as they are (or better, that's obviously more ideal) - but also with players that are nowhere near as close to injury prone as they both are.

Had to wipe my eyes a few times today. Gutted is an understatement. Given us everything in the last 9 years, leaves an absolute legend and the most important man in football for me in my life time. 

7 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Where do you guys think Klopp ranks compared to other managers like Paisley, Shankley and Hodgson?

I know it's different times and the likes, but just curious.

Behind the first two, maybe just ahead of Woy. 

That was a very nice leaving do for Klopp. It’s not always gone as planned for Liverpool but he’s won everything he could win which is all you can ask for really. Made a massive impact on the league as a whole, I hope his next club is an interesting one. Would love to see him manage in Spain at some point.

Also, Darwin can fuck right off. Firstly wanted to have a barney with Sa towards the end of the game. Then he clapped for all the players and staff, except for Klopp. Then looked completely uninterested when he was making his final dressing room speech. Get to fuck. 

Spat his dummy out because he was dropped for being wasteful in front of goal. No chance he starts over Salah, Diaz & Gakpo in the last few weeks, yet he still acts like a spoilt kid. Fuck him off for some decent money. 

4 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Where do you guys think Klopp ranks compared to other managers like Paisley, Shankley and Hodgson?

I know it's different times and the likes, but just curious.

Probably right behind Paisley & Shankley

3 hours ago, Rick said:

Also, Darwin can fuck right off. Firstly wanted to have a barney with Sa towards the end of the game. Then he clapped for all the players and staff, except for Klopp. Then looked completely uninterested when he was making his final dressing room speech. Get to fuck. 

Spat his dummy out because he was dropped for being wasteful in front of goal. No chance he starts over Salah, Diaz & Gakpo in the last few weeks, yet he still acts like a spoilt kid. Fuck him off for some decent money. 

https://x.com/_pauljoyce/status/1792586251683447203?t=2Knj6ggv8xKEdxl-t3Jk7A&s=19

If it's from Paul Joyce, it's basically from the club - so Darwin's most likely not going anywhere. Unless we get a bid where we just can't say no... but I can't see that happening. Which is a shame because if we're going to sell anyone - I'd imagine it'd at least be one of Diaz/Nunez/Gakpo. And I'm sure we're going to sell someone - my guess is of those 3, Diaz is the most likely to go - and out of those 3, he's the one I think I'd prefer we keep the most. Nunez would be the one I want to see go the most because I'm just tired of watching him miss chances he should be putting away, and then just grinning that grin.

He's a polarising player, because I love his workrate and I love the crazy shit he's done which has resulted in goals. But holy fuck is it irritating when he's routinely failing to put the ball into the back of the net from what seem like gilded opportunities.

Chris Bascombe, who's also a club connected journo, saying we're likely to be making contract extension offers to Virgil, Trent, & Mo as they're seen as vital for the transition to playing under Slot.

17 hours ago, Rick said:

And yet there he was dancing with Klopp and the rest of the team at the after party. Maybe people read too much into things?