talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(EL) Group E - Matchday 4 - Thursday 9th November, 2023

football forum

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

I think it's just another example of you going to the extreme. You don't think either are good enough alongside Van Dijk and other first choices against a bottom half side at home? I mean, both started in a 3-0 win against the side 5th in the league for a start.

Completely agree re the disallowed goal.

It’s not at all the extreme. Are they capable of a good performance? Yes, but I’d say that for most the defenders in the PL. Gomez has been absolute shite for ages now, with a couple of non shit performances sprinkled in. Not good enough for us, yet he’s only 25/26 and has not longed signed a new contract so he’s not going anywhere.

Matip out of contract in the summer, see what happens there. If he goes then we maybe will finally bring in a top CB, because neither Virgil or Konate should be nailed on either. Virgil isn’t the player he was and has past 30 and Konate blows hot and cold. 

7 minutes ago, Rick said:

It’s not at all the extreme. Are they capable of a good performance? Yes, but I’d say that for most the defenders in the PL. Gomez has been absolute shite for ages now, with a couple of non shit performances sprinkled in. Not good enough for us, yet he’s only 25/26 and has not longed signed a new contract so he’s not going anywhere.

Matip out of contract in the summer, see what happens there. If he goes then we maybe will finally bring in a top CB, because neither Virgil or Konate should be nailed on either. Virgil isn’t the player he was and has past 30 and Konate blows hot and cold. 

I think you're picking on the wrong squad players who played tonight for not being good enough. Gomez and Matip are fine as squad players. The keeper and the left back on the other hand..

I don't think Matip gets another contract, he'll be 33 by the time next season starts and obviously hasn't been reliable fitness wise throughout his time here and it would be a good time to bring someone in who is younger. And Liverpool will do that, as they've done with revamping the midfield and attack.

The narrative around Van Dijk puzzles me. He's still one of the best CBs in the league. No he's not the absolutely flawless player he was before the injury but he's almost underrated now.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Stan said:

It's such a weird thing to moan about. If Liverpool won would he have moaned :what:?

Maybe not but put any manager in that situation immediately after the game, especially the way it panned out, and they wouldn't be having a laugh and making jokes would they?

• The topic was unpinned