The Guardian's Best Shows of 2023

football forum

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, nudge said:

Happy to see Silo, Deadloch, and Reservation Dogs on the list... 

I need to continue watching The Bear at some point.

I struggled to stick with Silo...been keen to watch Reservation Dogs but keep forgetting it exists lol

Just now, Danny said:

been keen to watch Reservation Dogs but keep forgetting it exists lol

Same. xD

Sad to see Bodies is not on the list. I'm three episodes in, and so far I think it is brilliant. But I heard that the "conclusion" might be a real let down. But people said that about Lost, and I loved that too. 

I've chucked a top 10 together...was really easy and hard at times, I've watched a lot of shows from previous years this year and not as much from 2023 as I thought!

1. Andor

2. The Last of Us

3. The Witcher S3

4. Loki S2 

5. White Lotus S2

6. Foundation

7. Yellowstone

8. For All Mankind S4

9. Ghosts S5

10. The Lovers

Edited by Danny

• Subscriber

38 minutes ago, Danny said:

I struggled to stick with Silo...been keen to watch Reservation Dogs but keep forgetting it exists lol

I can kinda understand struggling with Silo, it's a bit of a slow burner, but I thought it is very well executed and the story keeps you guessing.

And oh man, I love Reservation Dogs! The last season was a bit weaker, at least at the beginning, but they wrapped it up nicely, Season 1 is a true masterpiece, and Season 2 is a great continuation of the story. It might be a totally different culture, but I related so much to the friendship dynamics and the general circumstances of that coming of age story. Also the humour is hilarious.

45 minutes ago, nudge said:

I can kinda understand struggling with Silo, it's a bit of a slow burner, but I thought it is very well executed and the story keeps you guessing.

And oh man, I love Reservation Dogs! The last season was a bit weaker, at least at the beginning, but they wrapped it up nicely, Season 1 is a true masterpiece, and Season 2 is a great continuation of the story. It might be a totally different culture, but I related so much to the friendship dynamics and the general circumstances of that coming of age story. Also the humour is hilarious.

I feel like the best shows are the one that manage to get in touch with the local community/culture and make the humour relatable without weaking it to try and make it understandable for an audience that are sort of globalised now through social media. Derry Girls for example done a really good job of it and you relate to them without even directly relating to what they're going through.

5 minutes ago, Danny said:

As in you can’t watch it?

It is a tiring watch, I watched it all in one mainly just to watch those two lol. A comedy series about Tom and Greg would be great tbh

I got through about one and a half episodes and I just can't bring myself to watch anymore. I hate all the characters, they're all unlikeable and unrelatable. I'm sure that's by design because of who they're meant to be, so credit to them for that... but I can't be arsed watching it. It's a slow burn with people that are so easy to dislike.

• Subscriber

I am trying to do my top 10, but it's hard...so here they are, but in no particular order.

Reservation Dogs S3
For All Mankind S4
Deadloch S1
Silo S1
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds S2
Warrior S4
Never Have I Ever... S4
Hello Tomorrow! S1
Ted Lasso S3
The Mandalorian S3

On 20/12/2023 at 16:16, Danny said:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/dec/01/the-50-best-tv-shows-of-2023

Succession at #2...never has a show relied so heavily on two supporting actors so much as this has. Without Cousin Greg and Tom it would not be watchable.

Succession is a brilliantly written show in my opinion. Every character has layers.

24 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Succession is a brilliantly written show in my opinion. Every character has layers.

It’s a shame they don’t explore those layers. The only characters given an interesting arc are Tom and Greg. They tried to do it with Kendall at the end of series 1 but everything became repetitive and they never really explored the kids death as much as they could have for Kendall.

I felt half the storytelling was just quick witted jokes and vague cultural reference points dressed up as plot development. 

Edited by Danny

On 20/12/2023 at 19:35, nudge said:

I am trying to do my top 10, but it's hard...so here they are, but in no particular order.

Reservation Dogs S3
For All Mankind S4
Deadloch S1
Silo S1
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds S2
Warrior S4
Never Have I Ever... S4
Hello Tomorrow! S1
Ted Lasso S3
The Mandalorian S3

That reminds me that I need to get back on track with Ted Lasso. Watched all the first season but only watched the first episode or two of the second season.