talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2023/24 Gameweek 20 - 30th Dec-2nd January, 2024

football forum

58 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

The Diaz one is a clear penalty, not sure why there are questions being asked of that one. The Jota one isn't. It's bizarre that he didn't stay on his feet with an open net

Tbf I’ve only seen one person act like the Diaz one isn’t a stonewall pen (I guess other than Gary Neville)… and they’re an Evertonian so take it with a fuckin handful of salt because a pinch won’t do.

6 hours ago, Harry said:

Jota played it up but the keepers left elbow pretty clearly knocked Jota's right ankle as he ran past... 

I'd prefer to see that not be paid, basically in 100% of all situations when a player is just playing for contact, but there's no way you'd overturn it given the contact 

https://twitter.com/Ayanalysis/status/1741959882348142797?t=LPy9Ewu_uMGqE2hnuAuZPw&s=19

3 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

It wasn't "clearly" at all. The only thing that's clear is that the contact isn't enough to knock him over which makes it a clear dive. It's up there with the worst I've ever seen and you lot would be better served just admitting it. Also the rule has never been that contact is automatically a foul. Players wrestle the fuck out of each other in midfield and stay on their feet and a foul often doesn't get given. Then they get their sock brushed in the penalty area and they throw themselves down.

Players from all teams do it so I'd say this whether it was a Liverpool player, Everton player or any player. It's an awful piece of cheating from Jota. That's just a factual statement to anyone rational and honest. But ultimately, the officials are the problem because they refuse to stop rewarding that cheating so why wouldn't Jota or anyone else do that again?

Like I said earlier, the Diaz type of cheating is commonplace in football now, where it actually is a foul and the contact is enough to affect the player in his attack but not to knock him over, the player goes down to make the referee's decision for him because refs don't give it if you don't go down for some reason even when it is a foul, that's unfortunately become commonplace in football and we've all had to make our peace with it.

If dives like the Jota one become commonplace like that then I'm afraid that's another nail in the coffin of top tier football for me. Nobody wants to use words like disgrace or cheating when it comes to their own team but I have absolutely no doubt that we could all agree on it being a joke of a penalty if we were shown a video of that being given in a match between Thailand and Algeria or something that none of us had a vested interest in.

You’re both right to an extent. The keepers elbow does make contact with Jota’s ankle, but the problem is if its enough contact then he goes down as the keeper touches, but the keepers elbow lifts away from Jota almost as quickly as it made contact, making it minimal. If there was enough contacy he would lose balance stood on his right foot.

But he makes another step with the foot that initially makes the contact and then quite literally leaps to the ground. Stonewall yellow card for Jota tbh.

I hope Klopp gives Jota a bollocking for it. If Jota says he went down because he felt he wasn’t getting the ball, that’s one thing. I don’t agree with that sort of cheating, but that’s an explanation for his actions. He needs to just stay on his feet, and put the ball in an open net and not risk Salah or whoever else missing the pen.  

• Subscriber

These arguments always fall down on two things. 1) People not realising that a player can still dive even if contact is made and 2) People not realising that just because a player has dived doesn't necessarily mean anyone is saying it wasn't also a foul.

• Upvote 1

Could Diaz stay on his feet? Probably, but his attempt on goal after being knocked off balance by that tackle will be affected. So of course you want him to go down. Is it cheating? Not at all, it’s him making sure the inept bald cunt gives the foul. 

Jota’s is full blown cheating, contact or not. He can stay in his feet easily without his attempt on goal being affected by the contact from the keeper. Shocked that it stood. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Rick said:

Could Diaz stay on his feet? Probably, but his attempt on goal after being knocked off balance by that tackle will be affected. So of course you want him to go down. Is it cheating? Not at all, it’s him making sure the inept bald cunt gives the foul. 

Jota’s is full blown cheating, contact or not. He can stay in his feet easily without his attempt on goal being affected by the contact from the keeper. Shocked that it stood. 

Yeah I've learned to forgive players for doing what Diaz does. I've seen it enough times where the same stonewall foul just doesn't get given because the referee thinks "oh well he's not fallen down, it's not a foul." Players are basically forced to act in these situations - that's just how it is and at this point I've got no reason to assume the standard of refereeing will improve. So it's just the way it is - and honestly, the way it's always been.

With Jota, I don't even know why he's gone to ground after taking a step and I can't understand how VAR doesn't overturn it and how he doesn't get a yellow card.

• Upvote 1

• The topic was unpinned