talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2023/24 Gameweek 20 - 30th Dec-2nd January, 2024

football forum

• Administrator
Just now, RandoEFC said:

Disgrace that's been given as a penalty even by today's standards.

One of them that doesn't get given at the other end. 

1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

Not sure why Jota's not staying on his feet there with an open goal

The only reason is that he believes he’s put too much on the touch around the keeper, but it didn’t look like he did. Puzzling decision, and I was surprised it stood. 

1 minute ago, Rick said:

The only reason is that he believes he’s put too much on the touch around the keeper, but it didn’t look like he did. Puzzling decision, and I was surprised it stood. 

Ah well, fuck it. That Manc bastard has given so much against us and not given us so many things we should have had tonight. 

Liverpool have been excellent tonight, no way should it have been as close at it was for so long. 

• Subscriber

Liverpool deserved to win that and Newcastle were lucky to still be in it. 

But I'm sorry, if Jota is getting a penalty for that and VAR has signed off on it then no player should be booked for simulation ever again.

I think we've all accepted that diving is a part of football now and the type of dive Diaz did in the first half where there's contact enough for it to be a foul and he's chosen to take that rather than play on is consistently allowed. Referees are so bad at making decisions that you need to do that in those scenarios to make the decision for them.

There needs to be a line somewhere though and it's worrying that a team of officials can look at multiple replays of that incident and agree yeah that's a penalty.

• Upvote 2

I just don't understand how someone's actually reviewing that VAR call of Jota's and still thinks "Nah, there's not enough there for me to recommend overturning it".

Terrible call, however that shouldn't be the main talking point from what was an excellent game. Liverpool deserved it.

Jota played it up but the keepers left elbow pretty clearly knocked Jota's right ankle as he ran past... 

I'd prefer to see that not be paid, basically in 100% of all situations when a player is just playing for contact, but there's no way you'd overturn it given the contact 

https://twitter.com/Ayanalysis/status/1741959882348142797?t=LPy9Ewu_uMGqE2hnuAuZPw&s=19

The result was not unexpected,  it will have to be a Villa like run from February to the end of the season if we are to get top 5 but right now top 7 would be a recovery of note.

the window is key but so will trying to get players back as without any rotation this team is flat after 60 minutes.

big decisions will need to happen in the summer though

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Harry said:

Jota played it up but the keepers left elbow pretty clearly knocked Jota's right ankle as he ran past... 

I'd prefer to see that not be paid, basically in 100% of all situations when a player is just playing for contact, but there's no way you'd overturn it given the contact 

https://twitter.com/Ayanalysis/status/1741959882348142797?t=LPy9Ewu_uMGqE2hnuAuZPw&s=19

It wasn't "clearly" at all. The only thing that's clear is that the contact isn't enough to knock him over which makes it a clear dive. It's up there with the worst I've ever seen and you lot would be better served just admitting it. Also the rule has never been that contact is automatically a foul. Players wrestle the fuck out of each other in midfield and stay on their feet and a foul often doesn't get given. Then they get their sock brushed in the penalty area and they throw themselves down.

Players from all teams do it so I'd say this whether it was a Liverpool player, Everton player or any player. It's an awful piece of cheating from Jota. That's just a factual statement to anyone rational and honest. But ultimately, the officials are the problem because they refuse to stop rewarding that cheating so why wouldn't Jota or anyone else do that again?

Like I said earlier, the Diaz type of cheating is commonplace in football now, where it actually is a foul and the contact is enough to affect the player in his attack but not to knock him over, the player goes down to make the referee's decision for him because refs don't give it if you don't go down for some reason even when it is a foul, that's unfortunately become commonplace in football and we've all had to make our peace with it.

If dives like the Jota one become commonplace like that then I'm afraid that's another nail in the coffin of top tier football for me. Nobody wants to use words like disgrace or cheating when it comes to their own team but I have absolutely no doubt that we could all agree on it being a joke of a penalty if we were shown a video of that being given in a match between Thailand and Algeria or something that none of us had a vested interest in.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

It wasn't "clearly" at all. The only thing that's clear is that the contact isn't enough to knock him over which makes it a clear dive. It's up there with the worst I've ever seen and you lot would be better served just admitting it. Also the rule has never been that contact is automatically a foul. Players wrestle the fuck out of each other in midfield and stay on their feet and a foul often doesn't get given. Then they get their sock brushed in the penalty area and they throw themselves down.

Players from all teams do it so I'd say this whether it was a Liverpool player, Everton player or any player. It's an awful piece of cheating from Jota. That's just a factual statement to anyone rational and honest. But ultimately, the officials are the problem because they refuse to stop rewarding that cheating so why wouldn't Jota or anyone else do that again?

Like I said earlier, the Diaz type of cheating is commonplace in football now, where it actually is a foul and the contact is enough to affect the player in his attack but not to knock him over, the player goes down to make the referee's decision for him because refs don't give it if you don't go down for some reason even when it is a foul, that's unfortunately become commonplace in football and we've all had to make our peace with it.

If dives like the Jota one become commonplace like that then I'm afraid that's another nail in the coffin of top tier football for me. Nobody wants to use words like disgrace or cheating when it comes to their own team but I have absolutely no doubt that we could all agree on it being a joke of a penalty if we were shown a video of that being given in a match between Thailand and Algeria or something that none of us had a vested interest in.

The bold describes the MO of many players since 2005.

Yesterday's call is par for the course in that context, in terms of things that have been given as penalties for decades that I would not pay myself. And whilst there is VAR now, with there being clear contact between the elbow of the falling keeper and the ankle I think it's unrealistic to expect VAR to overturn that as being a clear and obvious error.

It's a typical situation of "yeah there was contact then the player went down, therefore penalty". In most cases where you hear a commentator making that argument the call was soft, the attacking player could have stayed up, and the player has been in control of how much contact to draw. 

A shit penalty of course but among the worst of all time seems a stretch.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Harry said:

The bold describes the MO of many players since 2005.

Yesterday's call is par for the course in that context, in terms of things that have been given as penalties for decades that I would not pay myself. And whilst there is VAR now, with there being clear contact between the elbow of the falling keeper and the ankle I think it's unrealistic to expect VAR to overturn that as being a clear and obvious error.

It's a typical situation of "yeah there was contact then the player went down, therefore penalty". In most cases where you hear a commentator making that argument the call was soft, the attacking player could have stayed up, and the player has been in control of how much contact to draw. 

A shit penalty of course but among the worst of all time seems a stretch.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I'm afraid I could quite comfortably bet a month's wages on you being unable to find another penalty that's been awarded that you can convince me is a worse and more clear dive than that.

If penalties getting given like that becomes "par for the course" then I'm afraid I'll be going to WWE before the Premier League if I want to watch an actual sporting spectacle.

• Administrator

It's the fact he takes an extra step then decides to fall over. That should have been the biggest clue of all for any official looking at it. 

33 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I'm afraid I could quite comfortably bet a month's wages on you being unable to find another penalty that's been awarded that you can convince me is a worse and more clear dive than that.

If penalties getting given like that becomes "par for the course" then I'm afraid I'll be going to WWE before the Premier League if I want to watch an actual sporting spectacle.

I feel most penalties awarded to Raheem Sterling would mirror and mostly exceed this one. That's from Liverpool, city and England matches. Gerrard and Coutinho had worse. Ronaldo, Robben, Ashley Young, to name a few.

It's obviously subjective what "worst dive" is but for me the worse ones are not only blatantly theatrical but also ones which are decisive in terms of the result, and those where there is next to no chance of scoring a goal. I.e. half a foot inside the box, near the byline, or like the Jota situation but where the player completely fluffs their first touch nearly out of play, leaving them with no chance to score. 

Jota is an idiot for not staying on his feet. I'm fairly confident he would have scored if he had.

• The topic was unpinned