talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Legends Of Each Country

I'm just trying to kill some time here as I'm waiting for something in a about an hour. Going to include up to 2 legends amongst the best each country has seen. I'll see just how cultured I truly am.

Peru

Teofilo Cubillas

Hector Chumpitaz

Ecuador

Alex Aguinaga

Alberto Spencer

Argentina

Diego Maradona

Lionel Messi

Brazil

Pele

Garrincha

Uruguay

Luis Suarez

Obdulio Varela

Venezuela

Salomon Rondon

Juan Arango

Colombia

James Rodriguez

Carlos Valderrama

Chile

Alexis Sanchez

Arturo Vidal

Paraguay

Jose Luis Chilavert

Arsenio Erico

Bolivia

Victor Ugarte

Platini Sanchez

Germany

Toni Kroos

Franz Beckenbauer

Spain

Andres Iniesta

Xavi

England

Bobby Charlton

Kevin Keegan

France

Kylian Mbappe

Michel Platini

Portugal

Cristiano Ronaldo

Eusebio

Netherlands

Johan Cruyff

Marco Van Basten

Mexico

Hugo Sanchez

Chicharito

USA

Landon Donovan

Christian Pulisic

Canada

Alphonso Davies

Dwayne De Rosario

Croatia

Davor Suker

Luka Modric

Poland

Robert Lewandowski

Grzegorz Lato

Ukraine

Andriy Shevchenko

Oleg Blokhin

Japan

Shinji Kagawa

Kaoru Mitoma

South Korea

Son Heung Min

Cha Bum Kun

Australia

Mark Viduka

Tim Cahill

New Zealand

Wynton Rufer

Chris Wood

Nigeria

Jay Jay Okocha

Mikel John Obi

Ivory Coast

Didier Drogba

Yaya Toure

Algeria

Riyad Mahrez

Rabah Madjer

Egypt

Mohammed Salah

Mohamed Abu Trika

Scotland

Kenny Dalglish

Denis Law

Italy

Paolo Maldini

Roberto Baggio

10 minutes ago, Spike said:

Best players or most important? Because it’s Johnny Warren and Harry Kewell.

I think Tim Cahill earned it more than Kewell. Maybe he wasn't more talented but for the Australian NT he achieved more while being the star player for many more years including in an Asian Cup win (uncomparable because Kewell played more time in Oceania but it's about the principle). Fair enough on Johnny Warren. He was not better than Mark Viduka, Kewell or Cahill but his influence was stronger for the rest of time.

I think legends might not be the right word here.  Not sure every country has a player ot two who should be considered a legend

Northern Ireland

George Best

Pat Jennings

Hungery 

Fernec Puskas

Sandor Kocsis 

USSR

Lev Yashin

Oleg Bloklhin 

Edited by Redcanuck

@Goku de la Boca How comes people from Spanish speaking countries are tending to think playing or having played with Real would constitute a German legend?😄

Toni Kroos is far from being one, I'd even say players you have likely never heard of like eg Karl Heinz Körbel are much more of a German legend than him.

Edited by Rucksackfranzose

18 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

I think legends might not be the right word here.  Not sure every country has a player ot two who should be considered a legend

Probably not legends in a world football sense, but legends in that country. Like for Iran, probably nobody's going to give a shit about the two players I listed. But for Iranians, Ali Daei's a legend because he scored so many fucking goals for Iran - he held that top international goalscorer record for a very long time. Sure he played in Asia so some of his opponents were terrible, but you can only beat what you're up against and other players haven't even really come close to Daei. Plus he's the first Iranian to play for an absolutely massive club in European football.

He's basically a God in Iran - even when he made several anti-government statements last year, they couldn't do what they normally do to dissenting voices and just arrest/torture him into compliance; his punishment was having his passport (and his immediate family's too) confiscated. They feared the public backlash of going down as hard on him as they have to other dissenting voices, including other footballers who've represented the national team

And the other one I listed is just a player who was very good for a long time in Europe and during what was the best period of Iran's national team in my lifetime he was such an important player. But I'm pretty sure in terms of legend status in Iran, Ali Parvin... who's way before my time... is probably #2 next to Ali Daei.

• Administrator

Keegan?! Why xD

Banks, Hurst, Moore or any of that 66 World Cup winning side are way ahead of Keegan. Even the likes of Gazza (his legacy), Rooney or Kane for the goalscoring records? 

Japan have had legends more so than Mitoma. Keisuke Honda,  Nagatomo, Yoshida or Okazaki based on appearances at least. 

I love Baggio as well for Italy, but again, there are probably bigger legends than him - Dino Zoff, Nesta, Cannavaro, Totti, Del Piero, Buffon, Meazza, Riva, Baresi... 

Beckham and Gazza would probably be the most iconic of English players, regardless of success or ability.

Surely Rush and Bale for Wales?

37 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think Souness belongs on the list for Scotland alongside Dalglish.

When I think of Scotland I think of Law, Dalglish, or Souness.

18 minutes ago, Stan said:

Keegan?! Why xD

Tbf Keegan's an absolute legend. He's my dad's all time favourite player. Won the Balon d'Or twice in the Cryuff & Beckenbaur era - so he was one hell of a player. I think his legacy is probably greater than Gazza's

6 minutes ago, Stan said:

Keegan?! Why xD

Banks, Hurst, Moore or any of that 66 World Cup winning side are way ahead of Keegan. Even the likes of Gazza (his legacy), Rooney or Kane for the goalscoring records? 

Japan have had legends more so than Mitoma. Keisuke Honda,  Nagatomo, Yoshida or Okazaki based on appearances at least. 

I love Baggio as well for Italy, but again, there are probably bigger legends than him - Dino Zoff, Nesta, Cannavaro, Totti, Del Piero, Buffon, Meazza, Riva, Baresi... 

I'm not saying he'd be in the top two for England but it's hardly a laughable suggestion. I'm obviously too young to have seen him play but know how highly thought of he was in football at that time. Incredible at Liverpool and might have been even more highly thought of at Liverpool had his replacement not been Kenny Dalglish. Then went to Hamburg and won the Ballon d'Or in back to back years.

It depends how we're defining this though I suppose. Is it what they achieved for their country or overall? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Goku de la Boca said:

I think Tim Cahill earned it more than Kewell. Maybe he wasn't more talented but for the Australian NT he achieved more while being the star player for many more years including in an Asian Cup win (uncomparable because Kewell played more time in Oceania but it's about the principle). Fair enough on Johnny Warren. He was not better than Mark Viduka, Kewell or Cahill but his influence was stronger for the rest of time.

No. Without Johnny Warren the sport wouldn’t exist in Australia, and Harry Kewell was the very first Australian player to be even remotely close to a star or a household name, which he still largely wasn’t. Tim Cahill, I love him but reaped rewards for being around longer and played when the sport had more exposure. Harry Kewell was the reason people were talking about the World Cup in 2006, I don’t think I had even watched a single game of the sport before then, because it wasn’t on TV, the A-League literally started the year before, and it was barely spoken of on the news; you may have gotten a quick Premier League score on the morning news once a week.

Just now, Spike said:

TBH Keegan has become kind of a forgotten player compared to his contemporaries; despite winning the Balon d’Or twice.

Bit fucked tbh, he's one of the greatest English players of all time.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Bit fucked tbh, he's one of the greatest English players of all time.

Yeah, I dunno why some people develop personality cults while others don’t. You can’t criticise certain players like Zidane, while being an obvious icon of the sport has montages on youtube that show him doing absolutely pointless tricks in games like doing a Cryuff turn unmarked lmao

7 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I'm not saying he'd be in the top two for England but it's hardly a laughable suggestion. I'm obviously too young to have seen him play but know how highly thought of he was in football at that time. Incredible at Liverpool and might have been even more highly thought of at Liverpool had his replacement not been Kenny Dalglish. Then went to Hamburg and won the Ballon d'Or in back to back years.

It depends how we're defining this though I suppose. Is it what they achieved for their country or overall? 

This, my dad has spoken wonders of him.

1 hour ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

@Goku de la Boca How comes people from Spanish speaking countries are tending to think playing or having played with Real would constitute a German legend?😄

Toni Kroos is far from being one, I'd even say players you have likely never heard of like eg Karl Heinz Körbel are much more of a German legend than him.

He’s definitely not a legend which may have been a mistake given the title of the thread but he was a motor for Real Madrid in a three peat of the CL and also important in a World Cup win. I think he deserves a bit more credit than he gets to be honest,

Just now, Spike said:

When I think of Germany I think of Beckenbauer and Mattaus

As would most, I suppose the 2014 generation will be seen as legends as time goes on. From 2006-2014, they were the most consistent World Cup team and did manage to eventually win it.

Just now, Spike said:

Yeah, I dunno why some people develop personality cults while others don’t. You can’t criticise certain players like Zidane, while being an obvious icon of the sport has montages on youtube that show him doing absolutely pointless tricks in games like doing a Cryuff turn unmarked lmao

I think it's wild he was sort of laughed off while Gazza was suggested for his legacy. Not saying Gazza was a bad player, not at all... but isn't his legacy mostly being incredibly talented... but never really living up to his potential? When you look at Keegan's record and his impact on the sides he joined - I think it's hard not to consider him a legend.

And look at who was winning Balon d'Ors at the time he won 2 back to back. They're regarded as some of the best names to have ever been involved in the sport. Which means at his best, Keegan was right up there as one of the best players in the world. I think he's the only English player to have won it more than once.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think it's wild he was sort of laughed off while Gazza was suggested for his legacy. Not saying Gazza was a bad player, not at all... but isn't his legacy mostly being incredibly talented... but never really living up to his potential? When you look at Keegan's record and his impact on the sides he joined - I think it's hard not to consider him a legend.

And look at who was winning Balon d'Ors at the time he won 2 back to back. They're regarded as some of the best names to have ever been involved in the sport. Which means at his best, Keegan was right up there as one of the best players in the world. I think he's the only English player to have won it more than once.

It’s because Gazza played in the Premier League and had more exposure to a wider audience I suppose, with the game being ‘more professional’. You’d have to think if Keegan had played in the 90s he’d be the biggest star in the world, but nah he has a terrible 70s perm and fucked off to Germany for a couple of years.