• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Fallout - Prime Video

football forum

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll have a look at my prime today.

So far I'm holding moderate hope of it being good, from the trailers the costumes look cheap as fuck and the guns Yeesh.   Of all the assault rifles in fallout franchise history, they chose the worst version of it for the series, the abomination that fallout 4 brought that no sane gamer hasn't mod replaced with something more Fallout.

R91 - FN FAL (fallout 1-3)

Chinese assault rifle (Fallout 1-3)

BAR, Combat rifle, Carbine (New Vegas)

Edited by OrangeKhrush

First episode is fantastic, real 9/10 stuff. Second episode is good too, but does drop a little. All of the characters are great apart from the BOS Knight who's a massive pain in the arse, hoping that he perhaps moves into the background as the series progresses (but expect it'll be the latter). 

The Ghoul and Vault Dweller are absolutely superb, if it were just the two of them (with side characters) it'd be faultless.

3 hours ago, Whiskey said:

First episode is fantastic, real 9/10 stuff. Second episode is good too, but does drop a little. All of the characters are great apart from the BOS Knight who's a massive pain in the arse, hoping that he perhaps moves into the background as the series progresses (but expect it'll be the latter). 

The Ghoul and Vault Dweller are absolutely superb, if it were just the two of them (with side characters) it'd be faultless.

Like you said on Discord, it's relieving that it's so good after Halo's show was such a steaming pile of shit.

Having said that though, Fallout > Halo as a game... so I'm not surprised Fallout > Halo as a show.

Pros:

Good story

Good main characters in Lucy and Cooper Howard (I am guessing that was a easter egg to Todd Howard)

Sound track is perfect

The violence is on point

Looks very fallout even if it means absolutely god awful guns that are comically oversized.  That being said you can look at them and say,  that is so Fallout. 

Dogmeat

Cheesy stimpacks heal everything,  that is very fallout. 

Cons:

Maximus is terrible in support.

No fallout vintage mutations like Deathclaws, Supermutants or Radscorpions

Episode 7 Thaddeus thing,  when you see it you will know,  think it very stupid and needless. 

Gulpers don't exist in the NCR,   exclusive to Far Harbor. 

Don't think the brotherhood of steel were done well enough,  they seem technologically not advanced for a faction that has spent 150 odd years expropriating tech for themselves, no gatling lasers, laser rifles just that god awful assault rifle and some gun that would fit well with robo cop. Thought Nolan could have put far more time into backstories and done a much better job making the BOS a technologically advanced paramilitary faction. 

Watched it all over the weekend and really loved it. I’ve played about five minutes of Fallout 4 beforehand so I went in fresh really. The tone, the leads (maximus should be better in s2) and the world are all great.

1 hour ago, Rick said:

Watched it all over the weekend and really loved it. I’ve played about five minutes of Fallout 4 beforehand so I went in fresh really. The tone, the leads (maximus should be better in s2) and the world are all great.

I thought the story to Fallout 4 was better but think the shows set 10years after the game. i enjoyed the show too. you should finish the game, it's getting a next gen update soon

Edited by Happy Blue

I think the pace of the series should have been slower and focused a bit more or building characters and plot, the rushed nature led to it feeling like a bit of speed run.   

It is not a complete butchering of a franchise so i have hope in subsequent series turning it into something appealing but I stand by initial assessment that there were some holes.

7 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

I think the pace of the series should have been slower and focused a bit more or building characters and plot, the rushed nature led to it feeling like a bit of speed run.   

It is not a complete butchering of a franchise so i have hope in subsequent series turning it into something appealing but I stand by initial assessment that there were some holes.

I thought the pacing was pretty good for an 8 episode series tbh. And I think they did quite a good job of taking various playstyles you can approach the different games and using different characters to reflect them. Lucy - the newbie, Maximus - chaotic but leaning good, Cooper - the callus bounty hunter, Norm - the playthrough where you read everything on every terminal (a slut for the lore).

Even minor characters, like Knight Titus, did things every Fallout player has done. He went exploring off his main mission, tired of his Brotherhood radient quests (look at his reaction to finding a toaster oven lol), and came across an enemy he wasn't ready to fight - something that's probably happened to every Fallout player. Then he says "fuck" a number of times and blames his companion for not doing anything. I think that's also something that's happened to every Fallout player.

I think it was pretty far from a complete butchering of a franchise. I think the worst can be claimed about it is they've moved Shady Sands from it's original location to within LA... and considering how Bethesda's sort of really avoided going back to the story of Fallout 1 and 2 for such a long time, and even with some refusal of acknowledgement of New Vegas, long time fans can at least be happy that: 1.) they're re-touching on places from the very beginning; 2.) we're getting a new NCR storyline.

I also thought it was cool seeing Robert House.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I thought the pacing was pretty good for an 8 episode series tbh. And I think they did quite a good job of taking various playstyles you can approach the different games and using different characters to reflect them. Lucy - the newbie, Maximus - chaotic but leaning good, Cooper - the callus bounty hunter, Norm - the playthrough where you read everything on every terminal (a slut for the lore).

Hide contents

Even minor characters, like Knight Titus, did things every Fallout player has done. He went exploring off his main mission, tired of his Brotherhood radient quests (look at his reaction to finding a toaster oven lol), and came across an enemy he wasn't ready to fight - something that's probably happened to every Fallout player. Then he says "fuck" a number of times and blames his companion for not doing anything. I think that's also something that's happened to every Fallout player.

I think it was pretty far from a complete butchering of a franchise. I think the worst can be claimed about it is they've moved Shady Sands from it's original location to within LA... and considering how Bethesda's sort of really avoided going back to the story of Fallout 1 and 2 for such a long time, and even with some refusal of acknowledgement of New Vegas, long time fans can at least be happy that: 1.) they're re-touching on places from the very beginning; 2.) we're getting a new NCR storyline.

I also thought it was cool seeing Robert House.

As I said it wasn't a butchering,  I just didn't feel the NCR or Brotherhood of steel at all and that ghoul vape was a bit excessive.   I am just very picky and think some things needed a slower burn to get into story lines expand it a bit.    

I will definitely watch season 2,  I will be more critical of season 2 but at least it isn't going to be complete shit like Ashoka

37 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

As I said it wasn't a butchering,  I just didn't feel the NCR or Brotherhood of steel at all and that ghoul vape was a bit excessive.   I am just very picky and think some things needed a slower burn to get into story lines expand it a bit.    

I will definitely watch season 2,  I will be more critical of season 2 but at least it isn't going to be complete shit like Ashoka

I'd love a slower burn if we got more episodes per season. Are we only getting 8 because there was that Hollywood writers strike? Because I really really hope the next season features more.

Honestly a bit cruel to have the show be that good in this era of bingewatching... and now that it's over, I'm all out of new Fallout content. At least remake Fallout 3/NV in the Fallout 4 engine or something like that, Bethesda.

12 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'd love a slower burn if we got more episodes per season. Are we only getting 8 because there was that Hollywood writers strike? Because I really really hope the next season features more.

Honestly a bit cruel to have the show be that good in this era of bingewatching... and now that it's over, I'm all out of new Fallout content. At least remake Fallout 3/NV in the Fallout 4 engine or something like that, Bethesda.

I was hoping it would be like the old days where you get one episode a week.  I loved the anticipation of waiting for the next episode of prison break as an example, you had the whole week to debate what will happen next.

It looks like season 2 is all but guaranteed by Amazon so that's awesome news, Ella Purnell kind of spilled the beans when asked whether the cast stole or took props which apparently was not allowed as they are still in use. 

On a side note I downloaded the fo4 series vault suit retex which makes it like the series with the back pack.  The fallout 4 modding community is as energized as ever, the quality of mods released is high level.