Jump to content
talkfootball365
  • Welcome!

    Tired of Kevins and Karens on Facebook and other social media platforms?

    Our forum is completely focused on football and moderated to keep discussions civil. Sound good? Sign up!

EFL Cup 3rd Round Match Chat - 19-20th September 2017


football forum
 Share

Recommended Posts

Tuesday 19th September, 2017
Aston VIlla vs Middlesbrough
Bournemouth vs Brighton
Brentford vs Norwich
Bristol City vs Stoke
Burnley vs Leeds
Crystal Palace vs Huddersfield
Leicester vs Liverpool
Reading vs Swansea, 20.00
Tottenham vs Barnsley, 20.00
West Ham vs Bolton
Wolves v Bristol Rovers

Wednesday 20th September, 2017
Arsenal vs Doncaster
Chelsea vs Nottm Forest
Everton vs Sunderland
Man Utd vs Burton, 20.00
West Brom vs Man City

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sign up to remove this ad.

It is ridiculous how many times we have drawn the same fixture we have in the league that weekend in the cup. Happened a couple of years ago when we had Spurs away and happened a few times in the Championship too.

It's also ridiculous how many times we get sides from our own league. Convinced no-one in the country has had it more in the last ten years.

Now I've got that out the way... well to be honest I expect we'll go out. An experimental side to show some initial promise but ultimately be done by the fact Liverpool's depth is better than ours.

Expect Dragovic, Chilwell, Gray, Iborra and Iheanacho to all start.

Vardy unlikely to play. Fuchs out. Silva obviously out.

I do hope we go through though. Not making any excuse of focusing on the league if we go out. Liverpool are a better side but they have more fish to fry than us. We're the kind of club that should be having a serious go at both this and the FA Cup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Dan said:

It is ridiculous how many times we have drawn the same fixture we have in the league that weekend in the cup. Happened a couple of years ago when we had Spurs away and happened a few times in the Championship too.

It's also ridiculous how many times we get sides from our own league. Convinced no-one in the country has had it more in the last ten years.

Now I've got that out the way... well to be honest I expect we'll go out. An experimental side to show some initial promise but ultimately be done by the fact Liverpool's depth is better than ours.

Expect Dragovic, Chilwell, Gray, Iborra and Iheanacho to all start.

Vardy unlikely to play. Fuchs out. Silva obviously out.

I do hope we go through though. Not making any excuse of focusing on the league if we go out. Liverpool are a better side but they have more fish to fry than us. We're the kind of club that should be having a serious go at both this and the FA Cup.

I think it'll be:

Schmeichel

Amartey
Huth
Dragovic or Maguire
Chilwell

Gray
James (if fit to start)
Iborra
Albrighton

Okazaki
Iheanacho or Slimani

 

Not expecting to go through but then that is dependent on what kind of squad Liverpool will put out. I suspect they'll rest players like Firmino, Salah, Coutinho, Henderson for Saturday's game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think we've seriously got to look at trying another system. I think Saturday highlighted that even the less fancied sides are wising up to it. It was dreadful football at the weekend.

Although I will say that we've beaten Liverpool at home the last two times fairly comfortably.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Dan said:

I think we've seriously got to look at trying another system. I think Saturday highlighted that even the less fancied sides are wising up to it. It was dreadful football at the weekend.

Although I will say that we've beaten Liverpool at home the last two times fairly comfortably.

I don't think we have the squad depth to try that until we get cover for Simpson, as a RB or RWB and extra midfielders (hopefully Silva is sorted out soon). Probably another CB too if we're gonna try the 3-5-2 or 3-4-3.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, FOYM said:

I want the younger lads to be given a chance in the cup, especially any defenders and Ward in nets. See if they could be in with a shout of breaking into our shitey first choice back line. 

Expect a draw tonight. 2-2

Aaaaannnd whos going to take it in extra time or penalties? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It won't happen but I want us to play as strong a team as possible. I don't give a fuck if it hinders our plans for league games because we aren't winning the league and I'd rather win a Cup, even if it's at the expense of top four. 

Football is about glory, pots and pans, not about finishing 2nd, 3rd or 4th in the league. 

Obviously I want us to do as well as we possibly can in the league but I also don't want us to be resting all our best players in the cups and risk getting knocked out early, especially against a decent side like Leicester who have had our number recently at theirs.  

Pick the best team and let's progress I say. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Dan said:

I'd honestly start Musa over Ulloa. I don't rate Musa but at least they might have to adjust to his pace. Ulloa's been a liability in every game he's played this calendar year. Nowhere near good enough anymore.

I'd date to even since the end of last season that Ulloa's been useless. Should have got rid of him in summer for sure. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Stan said:

I'd date to even since the end of last season that Ulloa's been useless. Should have got rid of him in summer for sure. 

I was excluding the Stoke away game where he came on and scored. Other than that he comes on and just gives free-kicks away.

It's a shame it's gone a bit sour with him after his comments last season.

Would've been in everyone's interests for him to have moved on this summer. For all I think Musa's looked awful he at least offers pace and has something to prove.

Will be interested to see Dragovic and Iborra though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Dan said:

I was excluding the Stoke away game where he came on and scored. Other than that he comes on and just gives free-kicks away.

It's a shame it's gone a bit sour with him after his comments last season.

Would've been in everyone's interests for him to have moved on this summer. For all I think Musa's looked awful he at least offers pace and has something to prove.

Will be interested to see Dragovic and Iborra though.

first touch is terrible as well. For a hold-up player/target man, need to have a good first touch to give time for other players to join attacks. 

Happy for him to prove me wrong and get on the scoresheet today but even then I don't hold much hope for him doing so. 

As you say though, glad to see Dragovic and Iborra given some game time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, LFCMadLad said:

Typical Liverpool really. Totally dominate, create numerous chances but fail to capitalise. 

Fully expect the traditional defensive brain fart in the second half that costs us the game. 

I'm thinking it will come in the most weirdest of circumstances too. We should have put atleast one of Robertson's crosses away but its just not meant to be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Typical Liverpool really. Totally dominate, create numerous chances but fail to capitalise. 

Fully expect the traditional defensive brain fart in the second half that costs us the game. 

you're fine. we're not getting close to your goal so this won't happen. 

This is comfortably the worst I've seen us in a while. No cohesion or any creativity. We're getting nowhere near the Liverpool midfield and Coutinho is given so much time to attack us. Robertson as well.

How Liverpool haven't scored is beyond me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I'm thinking it will come in the most weirdest of circumstances too. We should have put atleast one of Robertson's crosses away but its just not meant to be.

Yeah Robertson has probs been our best player so far followed by Coutinho. Ox looked totally knackered after half an hour in his first start which suggests he's really not used to hard work. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For Liverpool to lose this it would require us having an attacking threat. We have literally Demarai Gray on his own running at them. Any defence who can't contain Ulloa and Slimani on the counter has no business even in this league let alone top four.

I'm sad to say Shakespeare looks absolutely clueless at the minute. I'm not expecting us to go and beat Liverpool but Liverpool's finishing is the sole reason we aren't about 3 down here.

Shit system. Changes needed immediately. Get Okazaki on for Ulloa so we actually have a player within 50 yards of a centre forward. I'd get Amartey off too but we have no way of doing it without keeping players out of position.

Dreadful. Utterly dreadful half.

Edited by Dan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The topic was unpinned

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

football forum
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...