talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Europa League 2023/24 - FINAL - Atalanta 3-0 Bayer Leverkusen - Wednesday 22nd May, 2024

• Administrator

Kick-off 20.00 (BST)

Venue - Aviva Stadium, Dublin

Live on BT Sport

1200px-AtalantaBC.svg.png       VS      1200px-Bayer_04_Leverkusen_logo.svg.png

REFEREE - Istvan Kovacs
VAR - Pol Van Boekel

ATALANTA - Road to Dublin
Group Stage - 1st
Round of 16 (1st Leg) - Sporting Lisbon 1-1 Atalanta
Round of 16 (2nd Leg) - Atalanta 2-1 Sporting Lisbon
Quarter-Finals (1st Leg) - Liverpool 0-3 Atalanta
Quarter-Finals (2nd Leg) - Atalanta 0-1 Liverpool
Semi-Finals (1st Leg) - Marseille 1-1 Atalanta
Semi-Finals (2nd Leg) - Atalanta 3-0 Marseille

Top Scorer - Gianluca Scamacca - 6

BAYER LEVERKUSEN - Road to Budapest
Group Stage - 1st

Round of 16 (1st Leg) - Qarabag 2-2 Bayer Leverkusen
Round of 16 (2nd Leg) - Bayer Leverkusen 3-2 Qarabag
Quarter-Finals (1st Leg) - Bayer Leverkusen 2-0 West Ham
Quarter-Finals (2nd Leg) - West Ham 1-1 Bayer Leverkusen
Semi-Finals (1st Leg) - Roma 0-2 Bayer Leverkusen
Semi-Finals (2nd Leg) - Bayer Leverkusen 2-2 Roma

Top Scorer - Patrick Schick / Victor Boniface - 5

Team History in Europa League

ATALANTA
Last Europa League Final - None
Times Won - 0
Runners-Up - 0

BAYER LEVERKUSEN
Last Europa League Final - 1988 - Bayer Leverkusen 3-3 Espanyol (Leverkusen won 3-2 on penalties)
Times Won - 1
Runners-Up - 0

A chance to see history made as Leverkusen look to become the only team (I believe?) to actually have gone undefeated. Crazy.

With that said, I still want Atalanta to win.

The line-ups are out and I have to say I am surprised that Adli and Palacios start in what is probably Leverkusen's most important match of the season. I would have thought that Andrich would have had to have started and that Schick or Boniface would start ahead of Adli. But hey, Alonso has done so well this season, who am I to question his judgement. I hope that Leverkusen win the trophy today and maintain their unbeaten record.

Atalanta are pressing hard and always seeking to pressure Leverkusen. I honestly think that Leverkusen should bring on the robust Andrich, whose toughness and energy should counter Atalanta's play. While sooner or later, Leverkusen will have to bring on one of their focal point centre-forwards, Schick or Boniface. 

Posted (edited)

Leverkusen have to go for it now! Bring on Schick or Boniface up front and bring on Andrich in midfield! Take Adli and Palacios off!

Edited by Michael

I will say, it’s very strange not to play a striker in this final. Especially with the two quality players they have. It’s hard to question Xabi this season, but I think he’s made a mess of the starting lineup. 

2 minutes ago, Rick said:

I will say, it’s very strange not to play a striker in this final. Especially with the two quality players they have. It’s hard to question Xabi this season, but I think he’s made a mess of the starting lineup. 

I said it from the start, he should have started one of his main strikers for this match. Their midfield destroyer Andrich is also being missed in this match in my opinion, they need tenacity in midfield, they need to bring him on as well.

I can’t see a turnaround here. Leverkusen have been wasteful going forward. Grimaldo has just been subbed off as well which just seems strange. I hope they do it, but Atalanta look way more on it tonight. 

Posted (edited)

Lookman has been a beast tonight. Leverkusen have absolutely fucked it tonight though. They’ve been as bad as we were against Atalanta. Fair play to the Italians, they’ve been class. 

Xabi not doing something about Tapsoba up against Lookman is poor. He’s murdered him all night. 

Edited by Rick

• Administrator
45 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Is that the Leicester City Lookman?

Yep. Could have bought him. Didn't. Bad decision as I think he did well for us. Very well suited for this system. 

Gasperini has aued a blinder. 

1 hour ago, Rick said:

What is going on with Leverkusen? 

Bad starting formation. Decision not to play a striker is odd. Not sure if it's something they did regularly in Bundesliga but to not play at least one of Boniface or Schick was surprising. 

Plus they haven't been able to cope with Atalanta's high and aggressive pressing. Gasperini tactics spot on and credit to the players for sticking with it for so long as many teams tire with this level of press high up the pitch. 

Alonso has had an absolute mare tonight. His starting lineup was questionable. Such a weak midfield when you’re playing such a high intensity team is just suicide. They’ve had no control and I think him taking off Grimaldo so early was really poor as well. His players haven’t matched the energy of Atalanta either. 

It’s a good job they have the cup final in a few days because this performance would have been a wet fish of an ending to the season. They’ve all let themselves down. 

Shame Leverkusen fails at the last hurdle.  Can't believe it's Lookman doing all the damage.  Is he having a breakout out year or just a fluke season in a career of mediocrity?  Thought he was quite useless every time I saw him play in England. 

Leverkusen had an unreal season,  but to lose the last game is going to be an absolute kick in the nuts and undermines the hard work.   Sure they won the Bundesliga,  but winning the Europa would have been worth a lot more. 

Atalanta were brilliant,  Koopmeiners is a boss. 

• Facepalm 1

Shame for Leverkusen. They just didn’t show up tonight. 

Atalanta were superb. Every single player on the pitch was flawless. A proper team performance, highlighted with a stunning hat trick. Well deserved.