talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League to Review Recent Transfers

11 hours ago, Stan said:

What are they even going to 'review'?

Just means they'll close the loophole. They can't undo the transfers, I imagine. 

As you said, they'll look to close a loophole. They need to look like they have some form of authority whilst the government are planning to introduce an independent regulator even though the horse has bolted.

A review would be pointless, how far back do you want to go, Man City selling several young players for high fees to Southampton? Bournemouth's bizarre valuation of Liverpool's players by a man who now works for Liverpool? The several deals between Udinese and Watford? 

Clubs have been doing this for years, it's just Chelsea have once again ruined it for everybody by paying a ridiculous fee for an Aston Villa player.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

As you said, they'll look to close a loophole. They need to look like they have some form of authority whilst the government are planning to introduce an independent regulator even though the horse has bolted.

A review would be pointless, how far back do you want to go, Man City selling several young players for high fees to Southampton? Bournemouth's bizarre valuation of Liverpool's players by a man who now works for Liverpool? The several deals between Udinese and Watford? 

Clubs have been doing this for years, it's just Chelsea have once again ruined it for everybody by paying a ridiculous fee for an Aston Villa player.

£20m for Kellyman is not ridiculous, he’s arguably top 5 prospect in this country. Villa have built this over 5 years, we have recruited aggressively at youth level and loaned players out to make them valuable and sell on as we knew the PSR is a glass ceiling, and we need to catch up with the “big 6” economically.  Nobody said anything last year when we flogged Carney for £20m & Ramsey for £20m etc 

We’ve also flogged Douglas Luiz for £30m plus two players to Juventus but nobody is talking about that one. 

Tim to Everton is fair at £9m he’s had a season in the championship where he did well and only got limited minutes at Villa last year, he’s not good enough for a CL side so he’s moved on. Bogarde is £4m again good potential young CB very combative. We have a stable of kids in our academy now. expect £30-£40m in sales every year it’s what it’s been designed for 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Hi Nick De Marco, welcome to the forum.

Seriously we raised about £60m last year, also all transfers have always been subject to PL processes, it’s a way of generating click bait that headline from the Mail. 

I can’t be bothered to go and grab all the athletic podcasts about Villa’s youth strategy since NSWE took over but Villa fans have known about this for 3-4 years it’s within the rules of the game. You can laugh about it all you like, Villa picked up Kellyman from an ailing Derby for £600k he’s 18 has played several games for us and an England U20 international. £19m is about right considering market values nowadays, he will be a top player.

1 hour ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Seriously we raised about £60m last year, also all transfers have always been subject to PL processes, it’s a way of generating click bait that headline from the Mail. 

I can’t be bothered to go and grab all the athletic podcasts about Villa’s youth strategy since NSWE took over but Villa fans have known about this for 3-4 years it’s within the rules of the game. You can laugh about it all you like, Villa picked up Kellyman from an ailing Derby for £600k he’s 18 has played several games for us and an England U20 international. £19m is about right considering market values nowadays, he will be a top player.

I haven't disputed that Aston Villa have built a good academy at the expense of EFL clubs. I said the 19m fee Chelsea are paying for a player they could have got for 600k two years ago is ridiculous.

24 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I haven't disputed that Aston Villa have built a good academy at the expense of EFL clubs. I said the 19m fee Chelsea are paying for a player they could have got for 600k two years ago is ridiculous.

So was £23.5m for Ryan Brewster, £80m for Anthony, this is the market, I agree it’s ridiculous and the top end pushing it higher prices out fans. I’m still for £10 a ticket and wage cap’s personally 

Edited by Fairy In Boots

9 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

So was £23.5m for Ryan Brewster, £80m for Anthony, this is the market, I agree it’s ridiculous and the top end pushing it higher prices out fans. I’m still for £10 a ticket and wage cap’s personally 

I also made the point that if the FA are going to review transfers they're going to have to look at historical deals.

It would be getting a bit beyond the ridiculous if they find genuine issue with things. The rules were set to protect the establishment. You can pay £100m+ for 1 Declan Rice or 10x Tim Iroegbunam. Or £50m+ on 1 Moussa Diaby or 2.5 Omari Kellyman's.

If there is anything to look at, there's, well, the bigger picture. Not just the area where Villa are looking to make it 3 seasons in a row to be ahead of Chelsea & Spurs. Why would Chelsea actively help Villa? They see a player to invest in. It's on their owners, but that's what they see. And maybe Everton are covering Onana in advance?

And it seems to be rolling over for Chelsea's magic accounting in the recent past that is causing questions. The x sale £'s straight in. The x purchase £'s costed over the contract length.

They made the rules. As far as I can see the club's are playing by them. And playing to win. Which is the part that is ruffling the feathers.

56 minutes ago, Spike said:

Villans, Toffees, and whatever the nickname for Chelsea fans is (Tories?), on damage control patrol.

No just pointing out the stupidity of the hysterical reaction. We’re within PSR when we sold Douglas Luiz for £30m and two players, last years £60m from 3 academy players put us to within £30m and we’ve planned for this. 

I think it's funny that it does seem certain clubs leaked "we're exploiting a loophole! fuck PSR!" to journos they're friendly with... and now they've got fans acting a little surprised the loophole is coming under quick scrutiny. Maybe loudly announcing you've found a loophole after being publicly against the PSR rules isn't the smartest strategy at avoiding scrutiny for these sorts of deals...

I dunno what the league can do, in all honesty. If you look at historical player valuations they're all over the place. How're they supposed to regulate something so subjective? I don't think they can.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

think it's funny that it does seem certain clubs leaked "we're exploiting a loophole! fuck PSR!" to journos they're friendly with... and now they've got fans acting a little surprised the loophole is coming under quick scrutiny

Which clubs have done that?

3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Which clubs have done that?

Pretty sure Chelsea, Villa, and Everton have all done that with the journos that actually have connections with the clubs. Paul Joyce is certainly a journo with good connections at both Merseyside clubs - and he's been covering this. Typically he's not reporting on bullshit, but rather something he's been told he can go public with by either club. So when he's saying something, he's basically an unofficial club mouthpiece for both of our clubs.

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Pretty sure Chelsea, Villa, and Everton have all done that with the journos that actually have connections with the clubs. Paul Joyce is certainly a journo with good connections at both Merseyside clubs - and he's been covering this. Typically he's not reporting on bullshit, but rather something he's been told he can go public with by either club. So when he's saying something, he's basically an unofficial club mouthpiece for both of our clubs.

That's a stretch. You made out like the clubs are boasting about it or at least actively advertising that they've found a way around the rules. There's an acceptance that these transfers have a "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" aspect to them. I don't think clubs are daft enough to ask journalists to get a "fuck PSR!" narrative out there on their behalf. Well maybe Chelsea are that daft. I doubt Everton and the others want to draw attention to it. Paul Joyce is well connected but that doesn't mean what he reports is the clubs' preferred version of events.

24 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

That's a stretch. You made out like the clubs are boasting about it or at least actively advertising that they've found a way around the rules. There's an acceptance that these transfers have a "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" aspect to them. I don't think clubs are daft enough to ask journalists to get a "fuck PSR!" narrative out there on their behalf. Well maybe Chelsea are that daft. I doubt Everton and the others want to draw attention to it. Paul Joyce is well connected but that doesn't mean what he reports is the clubs' preferred version of events.

Nah that's very much how journos like Paul Joyce stay connected - get too unfriendly or hostile with a club and those connections dry up. He's not going to risk losing those connections putting out a story in a light that Everton don't want the story coming out - he's a very safe journo & that's why he's reliable.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Nah that's very much how journos like Paul Joyce stay connected - get too unfriendly or hostile with a club and those connections dry up. He's not going to risk losing those connections putting out a story in a light that Everton don't want the story coming out - he's a very safe journo & that's why he's reliable.

Mate, there's no way that after last season, the way Everton wanted this story to be framed was "hey everyone, look at us exploiting loopholes, fuck PSR". That's just insane. Everton FANS will absolutely have wanted to interpret it that way so maybe that's where you're getting the idea from.

There's just no earthly way that any club would want to attract that negative attention to themselves after the penalties Everton and Forest were hit with last season.

While I know the premier league will actively search to close the loopholes, it does not preclude the PL from applying punishment if it feels the nature of the transactions are not within the spirit and purports of fair competition.   Whether they will is another issue.

• Subscriber

The energy the Premier League are putting into this after Everton and Aston Villa have done each other a (legal) £3m-£5m sized favour compared to how quickly Chelsea's £80m hotel scandal was just shrugged off tells you everything you need to know about whose interests they're acting in.

• Upvote 1