• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Ex footballers and brain damage

Recommended Posts

I haven't got round to watching it but apparently there was a brilliant documentary on the beeb last night with Alan Shearer concerning this subject. Seems to finally becoming an integral subject to research in football. What do people think can be done to improve the matter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I haven't got round to watching it but apparently there was a brilliant documentary on the beeb last night with Alan Shearer concerning this subject. Seems to finally becoming an integral subject to research in football. What do people think can be done to improve the matter?

yep I've got it on record and plan to watch it this week. 

There's talks about banning heading the ball at school level - whilst I understand the concept, it might make it worse in the long-term if they don't learn to head the ball correctly. 

Wonder if the types of football will change to help combat it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Joking aside I do think that the way in which kids are taught to head the ball in school is a big factor. I can remember being scared to head the ball in primary school because it hurt my head (I used to head the ball with the crown of my head, not my forehead) whereas if I'd been taught the correct way would probably have been more open to the idea. 

I do think that's it's a bit of a whingy subject from the snowflakes though. If you don't want to head the ball then don't play football, it's quite simple really. You don't see me making documentaries about the dangers of scrums in Rugby do you? If you want a non contact sport take up snooker.

There's a lot of research into the effects different sport can have on people, there may not be a documentary but I'd imagine there's research. Sports change with the times, when scrums in the NFL caused deaths back when it first started hey adjusted it so it's the singular pushing contest it is now.

If there's a large amount of brain damage being caused to a lot of footballers from heading then there will be a hange to the sport, suggesting people are being snowflakes because they're concerned with the results doctors and those investigating are coming up with is a bit extreme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cannabis said:

4ycms3NjE6WSx7vBVDVGjA9KiUc26lNp.jpg?201

Living proof that it exists.

I'm sure some of skys pundits are there just to make us laugh. I mean Paul merson seriously. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Danny said:

There's a lot of research into the effects different sport can have on people, there may not be a documentary but I'd imagine there's research. Sports change with the times, when scrums in the NFL caused deaths back when it first started hey adjusted it so it's the singular pushing contest it is now.

If there's a large amount of brain damage being caused to a lot of footballers from heading then there will be a hange to the sport, suggesting people are being snowflakes because they're concerned with the results doctors and those investigating are coming up with is a bit extreme.

The biggest issue with CTE (Chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a neurodegenerative disease which is the "brain damage" they are talking about here) is the fact that you can only identify it post-mortem, thus making any research or screening very complicated. Repetitive head injuries seem to be the culprit, but at this point, it's unclear if it's only repetitive concussions or also subconcussive blows to the head that might trigger it. The whole thing is very muddy, heading the ball properly (as Martin mentioned) shouldn't do any damage as it doesn't produce enough concussive force, at least not in adults, but it's a very long way to go until the whole mechanism will be properly researched.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nudge said:

The biggest issue with CTE (Chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a neurodegenerative disease which is the "brain damage" they are talking about here) is the fact that you can only identify it post-mortem, thus making any research or screening very complicated. Repetitive head injuries seem to be the culprit, but at this point, it's unclear if it's only repetitive concussions or also subconcussive blows to the head that might trigger it. The whole thing is very muddy, heading the ball properly (as Martin mentioned) shouldn't do any damage as it doesn't produce enough concussive force, at least not in adults, but it's a very long way to go until the whole mechanism will be properly researched.

The current consensus is that subconcussive hits do contribute, and are in fact more harmful than concussions because of their much greater frequency and the fact that they tend to be ignored.

You're right, heading a ball in the correct way is unlikely to cause any problems (especially as they're padded these days), but footballers do sustain other blows (blocking a shot with the head, head collisions with another player's head/elbow/the post) and I wonder if they happen frequently enough to add up to something serious over the course of a career.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched Shearer today. Interesting hour, one I believe pointed the finger at those who made a living out of the game in the 50's n 60's, or the backend of the old leather balls which became heavy once they became wet as being the guys most likely to suffer. I guess seeing Chris Nicholl with what only be called the symptoms of the disease, after years of attacking the ball with his head would say there is a case for players after the leather ball too. Probably as they say, needs more research and obviously funding.

Just want to point out something sad. While talking about Jeff Astle they showed footage of him singing on the Baddiel & Skinner show (Cant remember what it was called). One of the others singing with him was Peter Bonetti, a goalkeeper, who I am very sad to say is also suffering from a form of Dementia. I very much doubt he headed the ball often enough to cause what some are suggesting has caused many ex pro's to suffer this terrible disease.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't seen it yet but Big Al was the local radio today saying they desperately need funding to do more research.

With the amount of money in the game it should be made available immediately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement