talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Matchday Chat - Aug to Dec 2017/18 season archive

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Stan said:

was out for the game so only followed updates. One thing that grates on me in football is being gifted the chance to get back in the game and not take it i.e. having a penalty and missing. Frustrated me that we had a chance to go 3-3 and lost it.

Saw Coutinho's free-kick though and that was good. 

We've played Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal & Liverpool in our first 6 games.. Whilst it would have been nice to get more points than the 0 we have, they're not games we're expected to have won. (would have liked at least draws in the home games). Our next run of fixtures are Bournemouth, West Brom, Swansea, Leeds, Everton. After the tough run of fixtures, it's a good chance to build momentum now. Shakespeare has to add more variety to the tactics and formation though. We've become so predictable. 

he got a nasty eye injury last week hence missing the cup game and although he was on the bench, I doubt there was any plan to bring him on. There as he is our only left-footed defender other than Chilwell.

It's just one of those things different to a couple of years ago, we'd have scored that penalty two years ago I'm sure of it.

4 hours ago, Danny said:

Are there no Leicester fans wondering how Mignolet stayed on the pitch? Just watched Okazaki's goal and he's clearly pulled his shirt back to try and keep him from tapping it in. Clear foul, last man back and all that.

I thought there was as much of a case for a foul by us, and we actually scored so it didn't really make a difference.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Danny said:

But Mignolet fouled him in the process of scoring...play advantage, score goal, send off keeper for fouling attacker when no defenders were between him and the goal.

That's not how it works though. He's sent off, with no goal. Or no red and a goal. See Cech's foul on Milan Baros for Luis Garcia's "phantom goal" against Chelsea in the CL. Ref said he played advantage and if he didn't award the goal he'd have sent Cech off and award a penalty. Instead he played the advantage.

I didn't watch the Watford game again, but I heard a bit about Carrillos game. He got an assist and scored a disallowed goal. Heard he was great in the first half and then his lazy self in the second where he didn't show defensive capabilities and didn't run at defence. 

As far as away games go this is there for the taking. There's definite opportunities to score and at least create. Surprised with the ease we seem to have going forward. It's more than last season.

First half an hour was far too open, we were struggling with the width. Rafa spent the entire time trying to organise and get everyone right. Seemed to work as Brighton drifted out of the game in the last 10 minutes. 

The threat is there going forward for both teams.

• Administrator

Goal Brighton! a Gross free-kiick headed back across goal by Stephens and Hemed, with 3 Newcastle players around him, volleys in from close range.

Good start to the 2nd half. 1-0. 

44 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

good to see some of us actually watch the games 

Shocking, people on an english football forum watching a game in the english premier league. Didn't see that coming!

I know its hard to believe for you given you hardly any games.

Full time whistle goes and the groundsman comes on to shift the bus Brighton parked for the last half hour. We've never been great at breaking through bus parkers, we weren't last season. 

Slightly irritating that Rafa had sorted the worst of the open play vulnerabilities only for us to be undone by Mbemba landing on his arse for a set piece. Atsu and Ritchie had poor games which we can't afford.

Not that fussed right now. As away games go there's nothing to worry about. Still on track for safe mid table under Rafa's guidance. 

Liverpool at home and Southampton away next though so will probably fall down the table towards a must win area.

1 hour ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Full time whistle goes and the groundsman comes on to shift the bus Brighton parked for the last half hour. We've never been great at breaking through bus parkers, we weren't last season. 

Slightly irritating that Rafa had sorted the worst of the open play vulnerabilities only for us to be undone by Mbemba landing on his arse for a set piece. Atsu and Ritchie had poor games which we can't afford.

Not that fussed right now. As away games go there's nothing to worry about. Still on track for safe mid table under Rafa's guidance. 

Liverpool at home and Southampton away next though so will probably fall down the table towards a must win area.

Don't you think you should be though?? 

With respect to yourselves and Brighton you are probably not going to get many games which are going to be more winnable than teams that are roughly on your level in this league, as you have already pointed out your next run of games are not going to be any easier and slipping down the table is the worry.. 

You must be disappointed with the result today.. a draw given the chances would have been better and achievable.. 

36 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Don't you think you should be though?? 

With respect to yourselves and Brighton you are probably not going to get many games which are going to be more winnable than teams that are roughly on your level in this league, as you have already pointed out your next run of games are not going to be any easier and slipping down the table is the worry.. 

You must be disappointed with the result today.. a draw given the chances would have been better and achievable.. 

The reason I am not fussed is because of a comparison with experience of being shit, that could be naive of me I don't know. That wasn't a bad away performance by the standards Newcastle have given in the Premier League since Loic Remy left, it was above what the team's that had shitty league finishes primarily gave.

The only concern I have is that for all 3 away games we aren't good enough to turn up from the off as a force, instead we are winning the game management because of our superior manager, which is either too little too late or enough to nick it.

Archived