talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What TV Series Are You Watching?

football forum

1 hour ago, nudge said:

The series is apparently an adaptation of the book by Dan Simmons, that's where the supernatural aspect comes from. But yes, I felt that it wasn't at the center of the story anyway, so can't complain, and as you said, somehow it doesn't even feel too far fetched. Glad you liked it so far! 

Have you watched all of it yet? 

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Yes, finished it last week :) 

In that case... I was doing a little digging and came across this article about it.. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/12/hms-terror-wreck-found-arctic-nearly-170-years-northwest-passage-attempt

Having only seen one episode and having read the article I am sure there are some spoilers in there for me now.. xD I doubt it will take anything away from the series though.. One other thing, The one I watched had subtitles so not sure if they will all be like that or not? I actually think the subtitles added a little something to proceedings... 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

In that case... I was doing a little digging and came across this article about it.. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/12/hms-terror-wreck-found-arctic-nearly-170-years-northwest-passage-attempt

Having only seen one episode and having read the article I am sure there are some spoilers in there for me now.. xD I doubt it will take anything away from the series though.. One other thing, The one I watched had subtitles so not sure if they will all be like that or not? I actually think the subtitles added a little something to proceedings... 

Fascinating read, thank you for sharing! Not that many spoilers in there, hehe - certainly nothing to make any impact on your further watching experience...

Mine didn't have any subtitles, but sometimes I wish it had... I always watch Westworld with subtitles on as it's easy to miss some parts of the dialogue otherwise...

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

So I just binged-watched all 10 episodes of Cobra Kai, the series-sequel of the original Karate Kid, and it's great! Didn't really expect it to be, but somehow, it works. Having the same actors from the original movie really makes it really feel like a continuation of the story after 34 years, that was a brilliant idea by the producers. First two episodes are available on youtube, if anyone's interested - pretty sure those who loved Karate Kid back in the 80s will love this, too :D 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nudge said:

So I just binged-watched all 10 episodes of Cobra Kai, the series-sequel of the original Karate Kid, and it's great! Didn't really expect it to be, but somehow, it works. Having the same actors from the original movie really makes it really feel like a continuation of the story after 34 years, that was a brilliant idea by the producers. First two episodes are available on youtube, if anyone's interested - pretty sure those who loved Karate Kid back in the 80s will love this, too :D 

When you binge you proper binge don't you.. no half measures.. xD

I am beginning to think you like your tv shows they way you like your alcohol... 8 hours straight where possible.. B|

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
Just now, Bluewolf said:

When you binge you proper binge don't you.. no half measures.. xD

I am beginning to think you like your tv shows they way you like your alcohol... 8 hours straight where possible.. B|

In my defence, those are only 30 minute episodes :P but yeah, I kind of got carried away there a bit xD 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Thought they might have been longer than that... 

Are you kidding, the new teen audience has an attention span of a goldfish, they wouldn't manage to focus on something longer than half an hour... :D 

1 hour ago, nudge said:

What's that?

Just thinking the same thing myself..... If you have to interrupt us in the future @Stan can you make sure you come with something worthwhile please... 

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Are you kidding, the new teen audience has an attention span of a goldfish, they wouldn't manage to focus on something longer than half an hour... :D 

xD Yea I forget about that... I am so out of touch with the modern youth.. 

On 5/4/2018 at 11:02, nudge said:

The series is apparently an adaptation of the book by Dan Simmons, that's where the supernatural aspect comes from. But yes, I felt that it wasn't at the center of the story anyway, so can't complain, and as you said, somehow it doesn't even feel too far fetched. Glad you liked it so far! 

Just finished episode 5 and it's all turning a bit ugly now... first real close up glimpse of the beast bear as well.. that's a proper monster, fairly gory in parts and just reminds you of how tough it must have been to try and survive out there with all those things stacking up against them.. really good watch

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
43 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Just finished episode 5 and it's all turning a bit ugly now... first real close up glimpse of the beast bear as well.. that's a proper monster, fairly gory in parts and just reminds you of how tough it must have been to try and survive out there with all those things stacking up against them.. really good watch

When you're done watching it all, read this interview: https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-terror-inside-the-making-of-tvs-most-terrifying-new-show (potential spoilers, so avoid it before you're done :) ) gives a nice look at the story of the monster, among some other things.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, nudge said:

When you're done watching it all, read this interview: https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-terror-inside-the-making-of-tvs-most-terrifying-new-show (potential spoilers, so avoid it before you're done :) ) gives a nice look at the story of the monster, among some other things.

Thanks... I will steer clear then until I am finished

On 5/5/2018 at 20:58, nudge said:

Well... just 2 to go now

What the hell is that thing!!... I was under the impression it was just some kind of polar bear that was just being blown out of proportion into some kind of unworldly creature until you get a good look at it's face and realize it's not just an ordinary bear.. now I have just watched it tearing through the camp ripping everyone to shreds and it's like some kind of mutant creature.. 

It's all falling to pieces now... some nasty goings on 

• Upvote 1

I loved The Karate Kid. One of my favourite childhood films. I was so hyped for Cobra Kai and begging it didn't do a disservice...and it bloody well didn't! 

Brilliant series. It's great how they have done it. Interesting plot story which no doubt will develop further into another season, interesting characters especially Miguel's journey and the change in Johnny, and plenty of references to the past film which go down a treat.

Like the 80's music they add in as well, kinda like Stranger Things, just to relate to older viewers.

The only problem was literally how short it was. 30min episodes, you burn through them like there's no tomorrow.

Very impressed though.

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

• Subscriber
32 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I loved The Karate Kid. One of my favourite childhood films. I was so hyped for Cobra Kai and begging it didn't do a disservice...and it bloody well didn't! 

Brilliant series. It's great how they have done it. Interesting plot story which no doubt will develop further into another season, interesting characters especially Miguel's journey and the change in Johnny, and plenty of references to the past film which go down a treat.

Like the 80's music they add in as well, kinda like Stranger Things, just to relate to older viewers.

The only problem was literally how short it was. 30min episodes, you burn through them like there's no tomorrow.

Very impressed though.

I stumbled upon it by accident and didn't really have any expectations at all, but was blown away by how good it actually is! Can't wait for Season 2, especially after that cliffhanger :o 

2 hours ago, nudge said:

I stumbled upon it by accident and didn't really have any expectations at all, but was blown away by how good it actually is! Can't wait for Season 2, especially after that cliffhanger :o 

I know, so many possibilities where they can take it now. I literally didn't want it to end. Had you watched the original Karate Kid before?

I just love the way they have took the story so far, flipping it on it's head so that you literally don't know how you feel about certain particular characters given their current allegiances. 

I reckon they might get a couple more old characters back for another series. Elisabeth Shue would be interesting for the story.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Lucas said:

I know, so many possibilities where they can take it now. I literally didn't want it to end. Had you watched the original Karate Kid before?

I just love the way they have took the story so far, flipping it on it's head so that you literally don't know how you feel about certain particular characters given their current allegiances. 

I reckon they might get a couple more old characters back for another series. Elisabeth Shue would be interesting for the story.

Oh sure, watched it as a kid growing up in the late 80s hehe. 

Also absolutely agree, the story and character development is brilliant, I personally found myself rooting for Johnny (quite a change from the original movie haha), but I love it how they chose to show all sides and angles of the story; that's probably the main reason why the show really works for me. 

Great news - I just read that the show is officially renewed for Season 2! Bad news - we'll have to wait until next year for it ¬¬

Just now, nudge said:

Oh sure, watched it as a kid growing up in the late 80s hehe. 

Also absolutely agree, the story and character development is brilliant, I personally found myself rooting for Johnny (quite a change from the original movie haha), but I love it how they chose to show all sides and angles of the story; that's probably the main reason why the show really works for me. 

Great news - I just read that the show is officially renewed for Season 2! Bad news - we'll have to wait until next year for it ¬¬

Yeah Johnny is the man, Danile Larusso comes across such a prick at the start but get's a bit more likable. It's Miguel for me who I find interesting. He is essentially the Daniel Larusso at the start and then more like Johnny was originally by the end. And yet, I still find him likable. I don't know whether they are going to make him one of the bad guys or not next year but I'm pretty sure they'll have him competing against Larusso's daughter haha.

Yeah that's a long wait. I actually wonder whether someone like a Netflix or someone else will try and get the rights for the next series. There doesn't seem much else going for YouTube Red besides Cobra Kai.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Yeah Johnny is the man, Danile Larusso comes across such a prick at the start but get's a bit more likable. It's Miguel for me who I find interesting. He is essentially the Daniel Larusso at the start and then more like Johnny was originally by the end. And yet, I still find him likable. I don't know whether they are going to make him one of the bad guys or not next year but I'm pretty sure they'll have him competing against Larusso's daughter haha.

Yeah that's a long wait. I actually wonder whether someone like a Netflix or someone else will try and get the rights for the next series. There doesn't seem much else going for YouTube Red besides Cobra Kai.

To be honest, I didn't even know YouTube Red existed until I found Cobra Kai... 

As for Miguel, I'd be disappointed if they made him a villain...I think his transformation towards the end of the season made sense, partly because of Johnny's karate teaching methods, but also because of Miguel's own daddy issues; he doesn't strike me as a douchebag so it would be quite a bit out of character, I think. I also hope that Cobra Kai crew will still be the main protagonists, and that the writers will not try to push the Larusso/Robby narrative as the new Mr. Miyagi/Daniel story instead. Kind of have a feeling that Larusso and Johnny might have to team up against the you-know-who (don't want to spoil it for someone else, hehe).

The best overall transformation must be Hawk, hands down xD 

• Upvote 1

@nudge

I have finished the whole season of 'The Terror' now, Watched the last episode in the quiet early hours of the morning but had to be up for work early and with my eyelids feeling like they had a couple of crows perched on them I thought I would leave my thoughts until tonight. I have also taken the opportunity to read through the article you provided so cheers for that... B|

What a great series!! loved the whole thing from start to finish, I think they managed to capture the adventure and atmosphere of the period really well, They also handled the despair and downward spiral of the expedition with as much care as they probably could have done given what they knew of the actual events that took place. Such a barren and cold landscape to navigate in a ship let alone on foot.. The Bear/Creature was a good touch overall and didn't make the whole thing seem unbelievable and did add a lot to events as they unfolded. The acting was brilliant, Not at anytime did I hear anything that seemed out of place for the period and you could really feel the despair that they were all in about their situation and how they went about trying to keep it all together despite the odds being firmly stacked against them. 

As the episodes and time progressed it showed you how quickly sides can be taken when the fear and uncertainty starts setting in and certain individuals start thinking of the few rather than the many and how quickly that became their undoing as a whole group and lessened their chances of survival overall. That Hickey turned out to be a right nasty piece of work and was wholly instrumental in the division of the camp preparing to sacrifice all before him for his own selfish gain.. 

As this was based on actual events we witnessed 2 sides of the technology coin here... The ships being state of art for their time but the canning/food that accounted for so many lives being sub standard.. Even if they had been successful in their endeavors a lot of them would not have made it anyway and those that did would have been near or not far from death as a result of that alone.. I am sure had they made it that their deaths may have been linked to some sort of cursed expedition or something along those lines.. It was doomed before it even started just on that simple thing alone.. 

I personally found it strange that despite knowing the historical outcome of their situation that they did a fantastic job of having you keep rooting for at least some of them to survive the whole thing in the end ( daft as though it may sound ) which is a great credit to the believability of each of the actors involved throughout... 

I have always enjoyed shows that take you back through time which is probably why I tend to like things like 'Ripper Street' and the more recent 'The Alienist'  and even though 'The Alienist' subject matter is a bit odd it does grab the time period very well... 

From that article it seems as though there may be something more in the future.. not sure how they might work that in or where they would draw their material from but as a standalone series of 10 it was just right.. 

Edited by Bluewolf
  • Like 1

• The topic was pinned