talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Germany National Team Discussion

7 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Than byou believe something wrong. Source: http://statista.com/statistics/275359/largest-cities-in-the-united-kingdom/

Comparison: Dortmund has an inhabitance of 593K Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dortmund

Those particular statistics might support your argument but I know for a fact that the city of Borussia is a lot smaller than say, a small town in England such as Swansea

• Haha 1

@Michael Have to admit you were right with your prognosis of Brandt being omitted. Seeing the midfield squad I'm wondering who should had been left out for him. Pavlovic perhaps? Possibly Groß, since I don't follow English football and therefore can't tell how good he has been? Genuine question. As for the others I had reservations to nominate Brandt at their expense.

• Subscriber
50 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

@Michael Have to admit you were right with your prognosis of Brandt being omitted. Seeing the midfield squad I'm wondering who should had been left out for him. Pavlovic perhaps? Possibly Groß, since I don't follow English football and therefore can't tell how good he has been? Genuine question. As for the others I had reservations to nominate Brandt at their expense.

Yeah its interesting. Pavlovic obviously plays a very different position though so you wouldnt think they would be competing for spots. Goretzka being left out is interesting too and probably the right decision overall. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Yeah, it's a shame that Brandt has been dropped in my opinion. Who would I have dropped in order to keep Brandt in the squad? Well Nagelsmann has named 27 players, meaning he will still have to drop 1 player for the Euros to make it a 26 man squad. I am assuming it will be one of the 4 keepers that he drops, it's mad to take that many keepers for a short competition like the Euros. I'd also keep the defenders he's selected, as he's named 5 central defenders, 2 right-backs and 2 left-backs. The selection in defence seems balanced to me. But yeah, Pavlovic would probably be the first player I would replace with Brandt. Pavlovic hasn't been capped once yet for Germany and he is still young and quite inexperienced, despite his huge talent potential. I think there are plenty of players who could currently cover for him in the squad anyway.

Gross has been Brighton's best player this season in the Premier League. He is not flashy, but he is a real workhorse, who does the dirty work in midfield. But he is a late bloomer really and he was only capped recently at the age of 32. So yeah, they are the 2 I'd consider replacing with Brandt. Although Brandt plays in a different position to those 2 we've mentioned, he is much more experienced at international level and he has just had an excellent season with Dortmund, where he has been one of the most creative players in Europe. 

Of the forwards I might potentially replace with Brandt, you might find this shocking, but I'd say Undav. Although Undav has scored a lot of goals for high flying Stuttgart this season, he is also highly inexperienced playing for Germany. He only has one international cap to his name that he recently picked up. Moreover, he is not the quickest of forwards and he is also not great in the air. He is a natural penalty box finisher and he has shown himself to be great at that this season, but does not have the all-round abilities the other forwards in the team have in my view. It wasn't long ago he was really struggling at Brighton.

Beier and Fullkrug for example, have a much more rounded game from what I have seen. Fullkrug for example, is much better in aerial duels than Undav. Havertz has to be selected because of his great season at Arsenal and the impressive talent that he has, while Thomas Mueller has that vital experience for Germany. He has been there and done it so many times, he is just the kind of experienced player that one should take to a tournament like this.

Edited by Michael
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Germany drew 0-0 with Ukraine in Nurnberg today. Neither side gave much away, but it was Germany and Beier in particular who had more chances. Beier hit the crossbar with a shot from a tight angle in the 2nd half. Moments later, a Beier attempt at goal, saw Trubin make another very good save. Fuhrich also forced a great save from Trubin later on in the 2nd half.

For Ukraine, they had several efforts on target themselves. Yaremchuk forced Neuer into a great block after a powerful shot at goal and then later on, Yaremchuk had another shot on goal saved by Neuer. Neuer also made another impressive save late in the match from a Yarmolenko effort.

For Germany, Beier, Musiala, Gross, Andrich, Mittelstadt and Neuer had very good games in my opinion, while for Ukraine, Yaremchuk, Tsygankov, Zinchenko, Zabarnyi, Matviyenko and Trubin impressed.

Germany 0-0 Ukraine

Edited by Michael