The better place to talk football.

Asian Cup 2019

football forum

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Well done Thailand! 

Think India may only need a draw to ensure qualifying because Thailand and UAE play each other next. Hope they don't go with that attitude though and go for the win... 

• Subscriber

Thailand looked very different from their opening game to me and I for one am glad we played them when we did. Not remotely worried about the UAE because even if we get a poor result I think we can overcome Bahrain to get through. But I really want us to smash the UAE and get out of the group as leaders.

• Subscriber

A big improvement in the second half and a deserved win in the end. Chanatip and Tristan Do made the difference for me, but it was in general great to see Thailand play bold attacking football at last. A very important win which makes this group even less predictable; hope India wins against UAE! 

• Subscriber

India with better chances but are  instead trailing by a goal at half time... Nice goal there by UAE though. That head clash just before the final whistle looked bad; a UAE player was stretchered off I think?

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Stan said:

Had Jordan to win and under 4.5 goals in the match which was weirdly priced at 9/4. Need BTTS and over 2.5 goals in the India match. 

Do we look like scoring @nudge

Yes... just hit the bar at exactly this moment too xD Seriously India has been a better team and create enough good chances; just need to actually convert them...

• Subscriber

Well that was a shit show and how many times do we need to hit a bar in a single match. While we can call ourselves unlucky there is no excuse for the second goal we conceded because that is just poor on our part to not have someone covering that kind of cross. Now the last game has become absolutely vital to us.

• Subscriber

I would have preferred a win for India as now it's even harder for Thailand to qualify... Can't really see them beating UAE and even if India somehow loses against Bahrain, Thailand will have a worse goal difference and head to head result. Very exciting group though for sure.

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'm hoping this will be less inconvenient for me to watch while I'm in China.

Time or coverage-wise? If that's the latter, all matches are on Fox Sports Asia so surely on cable TV in any hotel in China... 

11 minutes ago, nudge said:

Time or coverage-wise? If that's the latter, all matches are on Fox Sports Asia so surely on cable TV in any hotel in China... 

Time wise, I mean it should be... since I'll be in Asia... but I also don't really have any idea of what my schedule will be like.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Time wise, I mean it should be... since I'll be in Asia... but I also don't really have any idea of what my schedule will be like.

Matches start at 7pm, 9:30 pm, or 11pm in China,  so normally after working hours... Well at least at group stages; not sure what will it be for the knockouts but still late evening kickoffs I'd expect!

• Subscriber

Looking forward to the Philippines v China today... First win in the Asian Cup for the Azkals would be deserved after that encouraging performance against South Korea, and China is pretty woeful so hopefully that's 3 points tonight.

This Asian Cup has been more entertaining than the last Euros so far,  although quality wise even though many Asian teams have improved but real assessment will be the coming WCQs as a knock out tournament with a 24 team format isn't really a tough task compared to the rigorous qualifies especially in Asia where i think that Asian Cup isn't that much important for the so called bigger teams. 

Similar like Peru who did well in Copa America couple of times while struggle in the qualifiers.

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Azeem said:

This Asian Cup has been more entertaining than the last Euros so far,  although quality wise even though many Asian teams have improved but real assessment will be the coming WCQs as a knock out tournament with a 24 team format isn't really a tough task compared to the rigorous qualifies especially in Asia where i think that Asian Cup isn't that much important for the so called bigger teams. 

Similar like Peru who did well in Copa America couple of times while struggle in the qualifiers.

To be fair for me it's more entertaining than the last World Cup xD but that's probably mostly because I found the latter extremely low quality, underwhelming and just plain boring. Meanwhile, I only planned to watch Thailand's and Vietnam's matches in this Asian Cup but found myself watching almost all of them as it's been by far more entertaining than I expected it to be. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Azeem said:

I just like the unpredictability of it all. You could have won it a 100 times and then get totally flumoxed by a team that just got into it. Quite exciting stuff really and like @nudge I try and watch as many games as I can and there have been some crackers so far. I hope Iran and Japan don't meet each other till the finals.

1 hour ago, nudge said:

1-To be fair for me it's more entertaining than the last World Cup xD

Disagree

2-but that's probably mostly because I found the latter extremely low quality, underwhelming and just plain boring.

Part of the reason for that is that Germany sucked even if you don't admit and i think we all should get used to low quality, in these days why we all look forward to even the World Cup now is past glory and nostalgia.

3-Meanwhile, I only planned to watch Thailand's and Vietnam's matches in this Asian Cup

That's one of the reasons why i think Asian football will lag behind even African football longer than we think. Most Asians don't care about Asian football other than their own including the well known nations like East Asians and Australia specially. 

42 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I just like the unpredictability of it all. You could have won it a 100 times and then get totally flumoxed by a team that just got into it. Quite exciting stuff really and like @nudge I try and watch as many games as I can and there have been some crackers so far. I hope Iran and Japan don't meet each other till the finals.

Tournament bracket suggests otherwise unless one of them doesn't top their group

Archived