talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Asian Cup 2019

football forum

2 minutes ago, Azeem said:

Iran should win the Asian Cup comfortably !

They probably should but they are serial bottlers. And Azmoun is only good against bad sides imo, against Japan he’ll be anonymous.

And if he proves me wrong, cool. But that’s what I’ve noticed watching him. And if he proves me wrong, then maybe Iran will.

Iran hasn’t won anything in international football since before the revolution (no surprise there...)

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

They probably should but they are serial bottlers. And Azmoun is only good against bad sides imo, against Japan he’ll be anonymous.

And if he proves me wrong, cool. But that’s what I’ve noticed watching him. And if he proves me wrong, then maybe Iran will.

Iran hasn’t won anything in international football since before the revolution (no surprise there...)

Qualified consecutively for the WC for the first time and almost reached the round of 16 is quite an achievement 

Just now, Azeem said:

Qualified consecutively for the WC for the first time and almost reached the round of 16 is quite an achievement 

Yeah I suppose, but pre-revolution they actually won a couple trophies.

Its also a bit of a loser mentality to say almost progressing in a tournament is an achievement. But comparatively in the World Cup, Iran’s mostly made up of players that I would call pretty shit - even if they’re good in Asia.

Japan’s the best Asian team, even if they’ve coasted this tournament.

Prove me wrong Iran!

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah I suppose, but pre-revolution they actually won a couple trophies.

Its also a bit of a loser mentality to say almost progressing in a tournament is an achievement. But comparatively in the World Cup, Iran’s mostly made up of players that I would call pretty shit - even if they’re good in Asia.

Prove me wrong Iran!

Two of them on home ground contested by 8 teams out of which Korea was the only real competitor

Lol losers mentality, its about performing more than expectations 

5 minutes ago, Azeem said:

Two of them on home ground contested by 8 teams out of which Korea was the only real competitor

Lol losers mentality, its about performing more than expectations 

You’re not wrong, and Iran’s group put them in an almost impossible situation.

I still think Iran are big bottlers though, and I will unless they win this.

I don’t like Mehdi very much as a player.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Marc said:

Vietnamese football hasn’t had an amazing year. Incredible scenes out there for these games and their U23 teams sucess.

Lam tot Viet Nam.

And AFF Suzuki Cup title.

• Subscriber
27 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Japan have been a little lackluster for me in this tournament and for the most part they've required some luck to get to the place they have now. Their defense is the weakest thing going for them and with the intensity Iran play with they might actually spend more time defending than attacking. This team isn't the same team that went to Russia and capitulated due to poor game management its a weirdly different composition and they may get to the final but I am still reserved on how good they will be when it actually counts against stronger opposition.

26 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Japan have been a little lackluster for me in this tournament and for the most part they've required some luck to get to the place they have now. Their defense is the weakest thing going for them and with the intensity Iran play with they might actually spend more time defending than attacking. This team isn't the same team that went to Russia and capitulated due to poor game management its a weirdly different composition and they may get to the final but I am still reserved on how good they will be when it actually counts against stronger opposition.

Sounds good for Iran:D 

• Subscriber
Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Sounds good for Iran:D 

When the tournament started I really thought Japan were in a good position to be quite good (they still might be) but as its progressed they seem to be grinding out wins instead of actually stamping their authority on games. Is this an indicative of how much progress there has been in Asia since the last tournament? I think so. Does it mean they won't win it? I don't think anything is indicating a clear favourite yet so its one game at a time and see who can last longer. As long as Australia come nowhere near the trophy I'll be content. I call either Iran or Japan to lift it out of everyone I have seen so far.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

You and I tend to have widely different views on football tbh

Ha, sometimes its good to disagree with others. Especially when it's the likes of you who puts in logic. Creates debate.

This game has been fun if you ask me. Every 2 or 3 minutes there is a dangerous counter that is usually wasted horribly but it does get me off my seat.

5 minutes ago, Blue said:

Ha, sometimes its good to disagree with others. Especially when it's the likes of you who puts in logic. Creates debate.

This game has been fun if you ask me. Every 2 or 3 minutes there is a dangerous counter that is usually wasted horribly but it does get me off my seat.

It’s been open, which is fun, so I see where you’re coming from. But so low on quality, which I think you see where I’m coming from in mentioning they keep wasting chances horribly.

The wastefulness is pissing me off tbh.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It’s been open, which is fun, so I see where you’re coming from. But so low on quality, which I think you see where I’m coming from in mentioning they keep wasting chances horribly.

The wastefulness is pissing me off tbh.

Pro tip: if you don't want to watch wasteful teams, South Korea is the last side you want to watch xD

On the other hand, Qatar are a lot better than I gave them credit for. 

5 minutes ago, Blue said:

Pro tip: if you don't want to watch wasteful teams, South Korea is the last side you want to watch xD

On the other hand, Qatar are a lot better than I gave them credit for. 

I mean based on your view of Rodgers I’m gonna make my own decisions, but yeah I don’t rate South Korea at all at present.

1-1, finally this game really comes to life. Wait VAR takes it away. Still 1-0 Qatar

Ruled out!

I'll be honest: I had a feeling Qatar would take it. They've been very good in the tournament and in the friendlies beforehand that I knew they had something about them. First time proper watching them and I've not been unimpressed. 

South Korea on the other hand, have been totally reliant on Son since he arrived.

10 minutes left til I get my prediction right.

I normally like to cheer for Australia, as they're just English people with funny accents that had criminal ancestors we sent to go live on the world's arsehole... but I'm hoping for an all Middle Eastern final now.

And an Iran win please

These commentators are so annoying. They keep harping on about how big a shock this is, how it's the biggest shock in Asian Cup history and that South Korea beat Germany at the World Cup.

"Not many could have predicted this" well I did because I've actually watched Korea enough to know they were going to lose.

Archived