talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Holiday Thread

football forum

football forum
1 hour ago, Stan said:

Anyone ever been to Mallorca?

If so, any recommendations on villas or best places to stay? (No-one say Magaluf xD, it's a family holiday). Have been looking at Palma and nearby areas as well as East of the island near Manacor and Pollensa.

Been years ago when I was a kid, couldn't remember anywhere specific though. Nice little place for a cheap break if the weather is right 👌

I was about 15 when I went to Mallorca. I went with my mam and dad as a family holiday, although once I got there, I bumped into mates from back home and ended up doing our own thing all holiday. It was Alcudia I went to. I'd say it was a great place to go for both family holidays or if a few lads went, although you'd have to go in the summer as it would be like a deserted island in the winter/autumn I bet.

Edited by The Rebel CRS
  • Upvote 1

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Been years ago when I was a kid, couldn't remember anywhere specific though. Nice little place for a cheap break if the weather is right 👌

49 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

I was about 15 when I went to Mallorca. I went with my mam and dad as a family holiday, although once I got there, I bumped into mates from back home and ended up doing our own thing all holiday. It was Alcudia I went to. I'd say it was a great place to go for both family holidays or if a few lads went, although you'd have to go in the summer as it would be like a deserted island in the winter/autumn I bet.

Cheers. We've booked for October so expect it to be quieter which I think we all prefer considering we'll have my baby niece with us!

Will check out Alcudia...

4 hours ago, nudge said:

And your internet connection is working! At least now we know we're not blocked in China... xD 

We aren't forbidden by the great firewall! But my work email uses gmail servers... so I've had to run a VPN in any case. I wonder how many Chinese people are doing the same thing - I know our clients use a VPN for business purposes (otherwise they probably wouldn't have responded to any of my emails ever).

On 19/01/2019 at 02:32, ...Dan said:

Atlasglobal or Pegasus? I don't like flying with airlines I'm not familiar with, they all seem to have some shocking reviews.

Edit - or Turkish Airlines

I didn’t see this but... most airlines have terrible reviews because they’re all substantially the same service and largely speaking if you aren’t in business class or first class (I’ve NEVER flown in anything better than coach/cattle class, idk why they call it business class if none of my business trips are business class - but that’s a personal gripe). And a lot of the good reviews for airlines that go in depth about why they’re a good airline I’ve seen are mostly rich people saying it’s a great flying experience in business class.

So I don’t put too much stock into airplane reviews. I go mostly with personal experience... which obviously isn’t the best, because what was true for me isn’t necessarily the same as the others.

So in my personal experience I’ve never flown atlasglobal ever. I flew Pegasus once and they lost my checked in bag, then mailed it to the wrong address, then I finally got my fucking bag once I was back at my parents house.

So out of those 3 I’d choose Turkish Airlines

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I didn’t see this but... most airlines have terrible reviews because they’re all substantially the same service and largely speaking if you aren’t in business class or first class (I’ve NEVER flown in anything better than coach/cattle class, idk why they call it business class if none of my business trips are business class - but that’s a personal gripe). And a lot of the good reviews for airlines that go in depth about why they’re a good airline I’ve seen are mostly rich people saying it’s a great flying experience in business class.

So I don’t put too much stock into airplane reviews. I go mostly with personal experience... which obviously isn’t the best, because what was true for me isn’t necessarily the same as the others.

So in my personal experience I’ve never flown atlasglobal ever. I flew Pegasus once and they lost my checked in bag, then mailed it to the wrong address, then I finally got my fucking bag once I was back at my parents house.

So out of those 3 I’d choose Turkish Airlines

Haha wow I'll try to avoid Pegasus then. So you have flown with Turkish Airlines? 

• Subscriber
On 19/01/2019 at 01:32, ...Dan said:

Atlasglobal or Pegasus? I don't like flying with airlines I'm not familiar with, they all seem to have some shocking reviews.

Edit - or Turkish Airlines

Turkish Airlines for sure. Haven't even heard of the other two... Flew Turkish once, and my father used to use it regularly in the past. It's very good unless something changed dramatically in recent years. 

• Thanks 1

I'm flying with FlyBe in 3 week tomorrow. I've never flown with them before(they also nearly went out of business recently, which would have been my luck xD), but to be honest, it doesn't really matter when you're only on it for just over an hour. It was cheap as fuck as well. Easyjet is usually the one. They are nothing special of course, but they are spot on for short flights and have nice hand luggage size restrictions.

@Dr. Gonzo do you always fly business class on your long haul flights, or even done any in economy?

13 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

I'm flying with FlyBe in 3 week tomorrow. I've never flown with them before(they also nearly went out of business recently, which would have been my luck xD), but to be honest, it doesn't really matter when you're only on it for just over an hour. It was cheap as fuck as well. Easyjet is usually the one. They are nothing special of course, but they are spot on for short flights and have nice hand luggage size restrictions.

@Dr. Gonzo do you always fly business class on your long haul flights, or even done any in economy?

I’ve never flown business class - only economy. The trick is you get fairly drunk before getting on, but not drunk enough to where they won’t let you board (although I didn’t know that was a thing until it happened to a friend), then get a few more drinks on the plane. I think there’s something about being drunk in high altitude that makes you more drunk. Then I’m able to sleep for at least 7 hours of a long haul flight, which makes it much more bearable.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Easyjet are definitely the one for short-haul flights. We used to do Monarch when I was a bit younger for the slightly longer flights (3-4 hours to south of Spain) but then they started charging more and Easyjet came in to prominence and now obviously Monarch out of business.

I've flown Ryanair once and it was fucking disgusting. Plane looked like it hadn't been cleaned, you get much less space than Easyjet planes and obviously they charge you for hand luggage. They're both budget airlines which I can totally accept but the difference between the two is still quite significant.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I’ve never flown business class - only economy. The trick is you get fairly drunk before getting on, but not drunk enough to where they won’t let you board (although I didn’t know that was a thing until it happened to a friend), then get a few more drinks on the plane. I think there’s something about being drunk in high altitude that makes you more drunk. Then I’m able to sleep for at least 7 hours of a long haul flight, which makes it much more bearable.

Agreed. I've never flown business or first class even on long-haul. Best flight I've ever been on was when I went SA via Dubai a couple years ago; the plane wasn't full so we had a whole row to ourselves, therefore 3 seats to ourselves to lie down and make more room for ourselves. Plus drinks and food was complimentary so you obviously take the piss out of that. It somewhat helps (or prolongs) the inevitable jetlag when you land xD. That was on an Emirates flight and even for economy you still get treated so well.

1 minute ago, nudge said:

A hangover on the plane is bloody awful though xD If I drink too much onboard I wake up completely dehydrated and that's about the worst thing on a long-haul flight :/

Never had a hangover on a plane, mainly because I can't sleep on planes for a long time so the hangover can't set in! Dehydration and cold air is never a good combination, though. I always end up getting a dry throat because of the constanct supply of AC on-board.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Stan said:

Never had a hangover on a plane, mainly because I can't sleep on planes for a long time so the hangover can't set in! Dehydration and cold air is never a good combination, though. I always end up getting a dry throat because of the constanct supply of AC on-board.

I had a pretty bad one when I was flying from Helsinki to Bangkok years ago; was seriously wondering if they'd let me into the country xD Nah wasn't that bad, but I really felt like crap. Too much whisky, dry cabin air, dehydration, high altitude... It sucks. So I only drink beer on planes ever since then.

That said, I have no trouble sleeping on planes (or anywhere else, for that matter), whether sober or not.

16 minutes ago, nudge said:

A hangover on the plane is bloody awful though xD If I drink too much onboard I wake up completely dehydrated and that's about the worst thing on a long-haul flight :/

This is true, the one time I got hungover on a plane I wanted to fucking die.

Just ask for some water with every drink though and you probably won’t get hungover you’ll just be needing to piss a lot. Which I don’t mind because it gets me out of my seat and means my knees won’t be right up against the seat in front of me for a bit.

So I tried to upload a photo from where I’ve just been (well 4 hours ago)... but the upload keeps failing.

But this might be the best business trip I’ve ever been on because I’ve just been to the Great Wall. Never thought that would happen. Also it turns out the Chinese food in China is the best Chinese food I’ve ever had.

• Upvote 2

Price for 3 days in Barcelona over the Easter Weekend(that would have been ideal due to not having to blag a few days off work so soon, it would also be vs Real Sociedad):-

2MDuSkZ.png

Price if it was end of March(which would actually be a better game since it's the Barcelona derby vs Espanyol):-

I4jyUnU.png

No brainer. I'll have to blag it off as I'm already blagging 3 days off in February and I only started on this job in January. Fuck them though, if you're a sub-contractor, you can take time off when you want within reason and I wouldn't need anymore time off until the last week of August when I go down south.

It's more expensive at weekends compared to through the week for flights and decent hotels in the centre, but Easter weekend is just ridiculous.

49 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

If you could blaze for the whole journey then it wouldn't actually be that bad as you would just chill out eating and watching films before sleeping. It certainly help a lot in curing the boredom and help you sleep.

Edited by The Rebel CRS
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

This is true, the one time I got hungover on a plane I wanted to fucking die.

Just ask for some water with every drink though and you probably won’t get hungover you’ll just be needing to piss a lot. Which I don’t mind because it gets me out of my seat and means my knees won’t be right up against the seat in front of me for a bit.

So I tried to upload a photo from where I’ve just been (well 4 hours ago)... but the upload keeps failing.

But this might be the best business trip I’ve ever been on because I’ve just been to the Great Wall. Never thought that would happen. Also it turns out the Chinese food in China is the best Chinese food I’ve ever had.

What a surprise! xD 

Which part of the Wall did you go to? I'm thinking going to Mutianyu when I'm in Beijing...

6 minutes ago, nudge said:

What a surprise! xD 

I mean the best Mexican food I’ve had wasn’t in Mexico, it’s been in California and Texas, so you never know!

But yeah the food I had today was fucking great.  Beijing noodles are incredible.

Tomorrow morning I’m flying out to Harbin to meet some other clients and freeze my balls off. Completely unprepared for being somewhere that cold, so that’ll be interesting. 3 days out there and then back to Beijing, which is good because I want to see the Forbidden City & Temple of Heaven if I can manage to make the time for it.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I mean the best Mexican food I’ve had wasn’t in Mexico, it’s been in California and Texas, so you never know!

But yeah the food I had today was fucking great.  Beijing noodles are incredible.

Tomorrow morning I’m flying out to Harbin to meet some other clients and freeze my balls off. Completely unprepared for being somewhere that cold, so that’ll be interesting. 3 days out there and then back to Beijing, which is good because I want to see the Forbidden City & Temple of Heaven if I can manage to make the time for it.

I was under impression it is CalMex and TexMex though; not authentic Mexican food as such? :P  Like all this Chinese or Indian or Thai food in the West that is just adapted to the taste of westerners and while it surely tastes amazing it doesn't really represent traditional cuisine of a country that well...

Oh and you have to eat Beijing Duck!!!

14 minutes ago, nudge said:

I was under impression it is CalMex and TexMex though; not authentic Mexican food as such? :P  Like all this Chinese or Indian or Thai food in the West that is just adapted to the taste of westerners and while it surely tastes amazing it doesn't really represent traditional cuisine of a country that well...

Oh and you have to eat Beijing Duck!!!

Yeah I think that’s true, burritos come from Texas originally - then California perfected them. San Diego has lots of Tijuana-style Mexican food though that costs a couple dollars more than it does south of the border but tastes twice as good. And you’re much less likely to shit yourself after eating it - a major plus in my books. I think that’s a difference to say me coming to China and learning nobody here eats the Chinese food I thought they would.’

Yeah I’m planning on that famous duck once I’m back in Beijing. Been wanting that since I knew I’d be flying out.

Went to Beijing back in 2000 and 2001. Actually quite liked it and the culture change, though was with my dad's work colleagues most of the times.

Main part I remember was going to a restaurant and they brought out a duck with its head still on the plate. It was positioned staring at my 8 year old sister at the time. xD

• Haha 2