• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Dream Job

football forums

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Mel81x said:

We're kind of in the same boat really. Spent my formative years learning guitar (classical) and bass but then I kind of lost interest in it along the way just because school and work got to be such an overload I gave it up. Gotten back into it over the last three years and I am now finding that while I do tend to like theory more than actual practical application the part of my post about the dream job of having a studio and help others achieve things is where I really think my interest has aligned. 

On a more serious answer than me getting paid to get high, something in a studio would be a dream job of mine. I used to dream of a career in music, first as a performer... but I doubt that will happen now lol. And I've got a friend in a few touring bands as a drummer, it's a cool life but it's very busy and hectic and has it's own challenges. I'm not sure I could live like that - he's only been home for 2 months. I used to love playing live in my shite thrash cover bands though - but it's not like I toured ever.

I've put together a bare bones home studio and I have no idea what I'm doing when I record/mix - but I loved the learning process and as soon as I'm able to, I'm going to get back into it. But a job where I could play a part in creating music & working with musicians create would really be ideal.

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

On a more serious answer than me getting paid to get high, something in a studio would be a dream job of mine. I used to dream of a career in music, first as a performer... but I doubt that will happen now lol. And I've got a friend in a few touring bands as a drummer, it's a cool life but it's very busy and hectic and has it's own challenges. I'm not sure I could live like that - he's only been home for 2 months. I used to love playing live in my shite thrash cover bands though - but it's not like I toured ever.

I've put together a bare bones home studio and I have no idea what I'm doing when I record/mix - but I loved the learning process and as soon as I'm able to, I'm going to get back into it. But a job where I could play a part in creating music & working with musicians create would really be ideal.

Music has varying levels of difficulty and when I first started working in the studio with someone else, learning the ropes, things were really really hard. Its rare that when you're performing or just playing by yourself that you see all the micro-mistakes you make with instruments. But, when you plug them into your DAW or work in a studio even the little things start to make a serious difference to the overall dynamics of a song. This morning we were practicing for a concert and its funny but the simple concept of using bass compression came up because we felt that the music wasn't really pushing itself high enough to be heard with the rest of the band and I'd never have as much of a deep understanding of it as I do now without studio time. 

All that said, it is a hard profession like any other. There are going to be days when you'll play for 6 hours straight only to listen to every single recording and think its utter garbage haha. I can't imagine how much time people spend on remastering stuff or even coming up with something original because that must take some kind of monster effort for both the guy running the DAW and the musicians who have to be able to recreate everything they've done on each take with improvements and changes. It also doesnt' really pay off in the beginning but if you stick with it the rewards can be great, both financially and mentally.

On 04/09/2018 at 14:01, RandoEFC said:

I'll be honest, I don't know how things are in Australia but certainly in England if you question your enjoyment of teaching and start having negative thoughts about the job then it can end up being a very difficult and surprisingly lonely career.

I've worked with some people who have been teaching for 20-30 years who used to love the job but are now trapped in a career they hate due to the mass changes in workload, meetings, responsibilities and expectations, but have a family to support so aren't in a position to go and risk their steady income on a career change in their 40s. They get so negative in some cases that you hear horror stories of people going up to 20 year old bright eyed trainees and say that you've got to be totally insane to go into teaching now and genuinely try and talk them out of what is a dream career for some of them.

You don't want that to be you, a lot of people say that you have to love teaching to commit your life to it. I think it's a wonderful job but it's not for everyone for a whole litany of reasons. If you have serious doubts having taught for as long as you have then there's a good chance that you're making the right call if you jack it in. This is just the opinion of an internet guy you've never actually met but those are my thoughts.

My mother was a teacher and managed to get out two years for the reasons you mentioned. Hradteachers became people that impressed the governers instead of people that impressed the parents, loved the children, worked for their staff etc. The whole obsession of impressing Ofsted and satisfying statistics instead of accepting a certain age group reacted better or worse than than the following really ruined her enjoyment and she was fortunately in a position to retire. 

I always found it quite telling that at secondary school all the teachers that taught me taught my father. Yet the teachers that taught my cousin weren't there when I left and I left for Uni when she joined year seven. A real telling sign of how the industry changed. I know three teachers and they all went Dubai as soon as they could when 20 years ago they probably would have taught at the school we all went too.

I guess that's the public secretary and modern times in general though. 

On 07/09/2018 at 16:39, Harry said:

Owning and managing an indoor football centre with a bar where everyone knows your name....

Move to England and manage a Goals centre mate, heaven. 5-a-side pitches, 7-a-side, (though all outdoor), a bar and multiple televisions with the football on.

Archived