The better place to talk football.

England team for Croatia and Spain games released on Thursday

football forum

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
2 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

The big question is does James Maddison get in?

I don't think he will. Would be nice if he did but something tells me Southgate will stick with more trusted players. 

I've not been massively impressed with him though he's been good but he's done no worse than Dele or Lingard have so don't see why not.

Not been able to watch much Bundesliga this season but Jason Sancho has scored and grabbed a couple of assists, with Reus coming out and saying he's a weapon for them. Though I know he started the season coming on as a sub, but if he's good enough for Dortmund's bench!

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Danny said:

I've not been massively impressed with him though he's been good but he's done no worse than Dele or Lingard have so don't see why not.

Not been able to watch much Bundesliga this season but Jason Sancho has scored and grabbed a couple of assists, with Reus coming out and saying he's a weapon for them. Though I know he started the season coming on as a sub, but if he's good enough for Dortmund's bench!

Just out of interest, what would it take for you to be impressed with him? 

3 goals and 2 assists in 7 matches so far. 

6 minutes ago, Stan said:

Just out of interest, what would it take for you to be impressed with him? 

3 goals and 2 assists in 7 matches so far. 

I knew he'd scored a free kick but wasn't aware of the other goals! Just going off of what I've seen, hesitant to get excited about a youngster with good technical ability as it happens too often after a short amount of time.

But like I said I don't feel like Dele or Lingard have particularly played better than him.

If there's anything to be tried out these are the games and this is the period to do it in. Gareth Southgate would be doing a disservice to himself and what he's about coupled with repeating old sins past England coaches have committed if he didn't go along with what his coaching career has been all about to date.  It's easy to get drawn into the pressure and the tunnel vision of it all.  He has to be his own man!

You can get sacked for not providing results and at least if the inevitable does happen in the future, at least let it happen being true to yourself and at least providing a future platform for an evolution.

9 hours ago, Stan said:

I don't think he will. Would be nice if he did but something tells me Southgate will stick with more trusted players. 

I’m on the fence tbh. We have two competitive games against Croatia and Spain, where we must win at least one game. It’s not like usual competitive games for England where we’d have say Lithuania and Slovenia, these are two of Europe’s better nations and I don’t know about throwing him in to these games, given the meaning these games have for England  

I’d maybe be tempted to wait for November’s games where we have USA in a friendly.  

1 hour ago, Danny said:

Also, I think Daniel Sturridge has earned a call up. Been in great form so far this season, and obviously scoring that screamer against Chelsea.

Can see the usual three; Kane, Rashford and Welbeck (yeah, I know he’s crap but Southgate loves him) getting picked. I think it’s probably between Sturridge and Ings for the 4th striker position and I’d personally lean towards Sturridge and have him as an option from the bench. 

Who we having in the team then? Competitive games so I don't think the bulk of the team will change or the formation, as much as I'd like to see us try something different.

Sturridge to come off the bench, Maddison to start over Dele or Lingard? Potential call up for Sancho to make an inpact off the bench?

I feel like it's too soon for Foden though can see a call up coming soon, probably in the friendlies.

Sterling - Kane

Maddison ------------------ Lingard/Dele

Shaw -------- Henderson ---------- Walker

Maguire ------- Stones -------- Gomez

Pickford

It’s critical England win one of these two games to give themselves a chance of progressing from/staying in Group A of the Nations League, so I wouldn’t expect mass changes. Not that I’d expect them to make mass changes had they’d beaten Spain. 

Of the young players touted for a call-up, I’d probably say Jaden Sancho is closest. He’s playing Bundesliga football and Champions League Football regularly, whereas say James Maddison for example, he’s only played about seven games at Premier League level. 

3 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

It’s critical England win one of these two games to give themselves a chance of progressing from/staying in Group A of the Nations League, so I wouldn’t expect mass changes. Not that I’d expect them to make mass changes had they’d beaten Spain. 

Of the young players touted for a call-up, I’d probably say Jaden Sancho is closest. He’s playing Bundesliga football and Champions League Football regularly, whereas say James Maddison for example, he’s only played about seven games at Premier League level. 

I don't think they will progress unfortuantely. Just a case of not getting relegated

• Administrator

Sancho is a good shout and good to get him tied down to England duty in a competitive game before he chooses another nation (if he can?)

Happy for Maddison. Hit the ground running with us so based on form it's nothing but deserved. 

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Sancho is a good shout and good to get him tied down to England duty in a competitive game before he chooses another nation (if he can?)

Happy for Maddison. Hit the ground running with us so based on form it's nothing but deserved. 

Racist. Just because he’s brown. 

Happy that Sancho got in but calling up Mason Mount for doing well in the Championship...? He's obviously a talented young player but you'd hope a player would need to prove themselves at a decent level before getting a call up.

11 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Happy that Sancho got in but calling up Mason Mount for doing well in the Championship...? He's obviously a talented young player but you'd hope a player would need to prove themselves at a decent level before getting a call up.

Took this piss out of Lingard, Matic, and Herrera

Worth a call up but at this rate anyone can do well against those three. 

I'm happy with that squad, feel like we should play something like:

Rashford - Kane

Maddison ------------ Sterling

Henderson/Winks

Shaw - Maguire - Stones - Gomez - Walker

Pickford

Our midfield is well off the mark compared to Spain and Croatia, but we have a dangerous front line and good options at wingback so interesting to see how this lot turn out.

Hope to god Welbeck doesn't start.

Archived