• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

First time From USA - Which Games to Attend?

Recommended Posts

Finally going to fulfill a bucket list item, seeing a Premier League game in person for my birthday, April 20. As there are a number of Championship games on April 19, and it's not exactly a short trip to the mother country, I would like to see one of those on the 19th as well. Logistically, the games should be sufficently close to each other by rail so I can safely make both. I am not a fan of any particular team, so the experience matters rather than the teams involved in the matches. So -- which pair of games should I choose? Opinions sought!

Also, how safe is it to get tickets on StubHub for these matches? For many, the secondary market would be the only option I can see. I've done well with StubHub in the US but no idea if there are issues using them for football in the UK.

Many thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd avoid StubHub for purchasing tickets, sometimes they get sold for way over face-value. Most fans forums have people who would sell for face value. I'm not sure how many games sell out either, so you could just buy from the official site for a General Sale ticket.

In terms of transport, if you're set on travelling by rail then you can get pretty much anywhere in the country within a couple of hours. London to Leeds for example probably few hours max.

Looking at the games on the 19th in the Championship, Birmingham vs Derby may be a good game. If you want a good atmosphere, Leeds vs Sheffield Wednesday could be good because Elland Road is rocking right now with Leeds top of the table. Bear in mind some games will get moved for TV coverage so be prepared to make adjustments to your plans if need be.

For the Premier League games on the 20th, Man City vs Spurs could be a good game but with that kind of game, the tickets will be more expensive.

It's Easter that weekend so there's bound to be games moved for TV across Friday to Monday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stan mentioned the TV games. I'd probably wait for them to be announced and plan around that. There will be certain grounds you won't have a problem getting a ticket for either so there will no need to go through any third party ticket sellers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DougBroda said:

Thanks... about when would the games being moved for TV be announced?

For April, you're looking around mid-Feb I reckon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since you’re calling it the mother country... do your mum and/or dad have a team they support? Because it might be a bit more special seeing a side you’ve got family ties to. Just something to consider, rather than just going for the experience itself. And if you don’t really care all that much & you’re going to be in London, London’s got a lot of clubs for you.

But yeah wait until they’ve announced how SkySports has decided to fuck with the fixture schedule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Hello @DougBroda welcome to the forum. I would go to an away game. Great apomosphere

Every game is an away game for one of the teams xD.

  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No relatives from the UK -- the English birthing the USA itself was the intended reference. :)

What I care about is stadium (and fans) with personality and history. For example, Anfield would have been an obvious choice, but Liverpool isn't home that weekend. 

Which raises one big question: If I see the Premier League game in London, with both home and no rooting interest, assuming tickets can be had, Arsenal or Chelsea?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, DougBroda said:

No relatives from the UK -- the English birthing the USA itself was the intended reference. :)

What I care about is stadium (and fans) with personality and history. For example, Anfield would have been an obvious choice, but Liverpool isn't home that weekend. 

Which raises one big question: If I see the Premier League game in London, with both home and no rooting interest, assuming tickets can be had, Arsenal or Chelsea?

Arsenal's probably easier to get tickets for.

But you said you wanted stadium with personality and history so no point going to Emirates :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Stan said:

Arsenal's probably easier to get tickets for.

But you said you wanted stadium with personality and history so no point going to Emirates :ph34r:

Knock Leicester off that list too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Danny said:

Knock Leicester off that list too

Agreed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, DougBroda said:

No relatives from the UK -- the English birthing the USA itself was the intended reference. :)

What I care about is stadium (and fans) with personality and history. For example, Anfield would have been an obvious choice, but Liverpool isn't home that weekend. 

Which raises one big question: If I see the Premier League game in London, with both home and no rooting interest, assuming tickets can be had, Arsenal or Chelsea?

I think the best stadium probably for personality and history in London would be Craven Cottage - but then the obvious concern is you'd be watching Fulham and they are shite. I'd advise against giving Roman Abramovich money if you're not a Chelsea fan, so I'd say swerve them... although Stamford Bridge does have history unlike the other bigger London sides stadiums. Palace have a nice little stadium, in terms of charm, as well.

The smaller and older stadiums are probably going to have a lot more character than what you're used to from an American stadium. The newer bowl style stadiums kind of all feel the same, I think, and you'd probably agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think the best stadium probably for personality and history in London would be Craven Cottage - but then the obvious concern is you'd be watching Fulham and they are shite. I'd advise against giving Roman Abramovich money if you're not a Chelsea fan, so I'd say swerve them... although Stamford Bridge does have history unlike the other bigger London sides stadiums. Palace have a nice little stadium, in terms of charm, as well.

The smaller and older stadiums are probably going to have a lot more character than what you're used to from an American stadium. The newer bowl style stadiums kind of all feel the same, I think, and you'd probably agree.

And Fulham have no atmosphere and clappers. But it’s a lovely stadium.

It’s a shame how many great stadiums have been lost now, Highbury, WHL, Upton Park.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Danny said:

And Fulham have no atmosphere and clappers. But it’s a lovely stadium.

It’s a shame how many great stadiums have been lost now, Highbury, WHL, Upton Park.

Yeah, The Dell too. At least FSG have committed to renovating Anfield rather than building a new stadium entirely - but it'll be a shame when Everton do finally move away from the shitpit, because it is another historic stadium. Their stadium move will be really good for the city though, so it's for the greater good. But it's also a shame to lose another football landmark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking north, any particular thoughts re Everton, Manchester City and Newcastle? Two have history of the older sense; Man City has that 2012 history, at least....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Every game is an away game for one of the teams xD.

You know what I ment you clever cunt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DougBroda said:

Looking north, any particular thoughts re Everton, Manchester City and Newcastle? Two have history of the older sense; Man City has that 2012 history, at least....

Both Everton and Man City in good games that weekend. Should be easy enough getting tickets too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t write off low tableteams because you never know what sort of game you could get. A bore draw with two giants playing or a 5-5 relegation battle. I reckon you could just flip a coin!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

Both Everton and Man City in good games that weekend. Should be easy enough getting tickets too

Where are you guys coming from that its easy to get tickets? I don't think it is at all. Or at least that wasnt my experience in coming over from Australia. 

The tickets for the season are released in two halves. That for April will have already gone on sale two months ago and I suspect if you looked up club websites you'd see then indicating no more tickets available in most cases. 

I'd be genuinely surprised if you could go and buy tickets for an arsensl game now. Maybe you could pay money to sign up to the arsenal FC forums as CD find someone with a season ticket that they werentt intending to use that day but it's pulling teeth.

One thing I would try though is looking through the club websites for hospitality tickets. Those are overpriced premium tickets offered by the clubs which normally include a stadium tour and a meal in the club restaurant before or after the game MC'd by a former player. These seem to most about 3 or 4 times the standard match ticket price which is about the same as Black market second hand standard tickets from scalping agencies... 

A lot of the time you can get hospitality tickets through local travel companies and include a nights accommodation somewhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DougBroda said:

Looking north, any particular thoughts re Everton, Manchester City and Newcastle? Two have history of the older sense; Man City has that 2012 history, at least....

Everton are a pack of dickheads :ph34r: - historic stadium though BUT I think Goodison’s still got those shite wooden seats. And Evertonians aren’t that bad I just called them dickheads because I’m a Liverpool fan.

Manchester City’s stadium is a soulless bowl with no atmosphere.

Newcastle have some of the best fans in the country and a great stadium. But right now a lot of the atmosphere is likely about how much of a colossal pile of shit Mike Ashley is, since he’s drained all ambition from the club and is basically using it as an advert for SportsDirect.

Out of those 3, it’s between Newcastle and Everton. And treat yourself to a nice night out on the town in 1 of those 2 great cities after

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Harry said:

Where are you guys coming from that its easy to get tickets? I don't think it is at all. Or at least that wasnt my experience in coming over from Australia. 

The tickets for the season are released in two halves. That for April will have already gone on sale two months ago and I suspect if you looked up club websites you'd see then indicating no more tickets available in most cases. 

I'd be genuinely surprised if you could go and buy tickets for an arsensl game now. Maybe you could pay money to sign up to the arsenal FC forums as CD find someone with a season ticket that they werentt intending to use that day but it's pulling teeth.

One thing I would try though is looking through the club websites for hospitality tickets. Those are overpriced premium tickets offered by the clubs which normally include a stadium tour and a meal in the club restaurant before or after the game MC'd by a former player. These seem to most about 3 or 4 times the standard match ticket price which is about the same as Black market second hand standard tickets from scalping agencies... 

A lot of the time you can get hospitality tickets through local travel companies and include a nights accommodation somewhere. 

Of course it's not the case at a lot of clubs but I think it's well documented about Man City's struggle to sell out games which is what I was talking about here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Of course it's not the case at a lot of clubs but I think it's well documented about Man City's struggle to sell out games which is what I was talking about here

Yeah but of the London clubs I'd think Chelsea and d arsenal would be very tough and spurs at WHL normally as bad leaving maybe Fulham, west ham and palace none of which excites. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yeah but of the London clubs I'd think Chelsea and d arsenal would be very tough and spurs at WHL normally as bad leaving maybe Fulham, west ham and palace none of which excites. 

I agree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yeah but of the London clubs I'd think Chelsea and d arsenal would be very tough and spurs at WHL normally as bad leaving maybe Fulham, west ham and palace none of which excites. 

West Ham's unpredictability is somewhat exciting - the atmosphere less so.

Fulham is a decent day out. Been there a couple of times for a home game and away game and both were worth it. Tickets fairly cheap too. Nice pubs nearby too.

Palace I've never been but it does have that reputation for having a decent atmosphere - there was a bit of discussion about moving the singing section or making it bigger and locating other fans elsewhere but @The Palace Fan can elaborate more no doubt. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should've come to Germany. Cheaper, good beer, better atmosphere :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends what you want. I've ranked them in the order I would choose if I was visiting from abroad:

Chelsea - Well recognised stadium, good football, better atmosphere than Arsenal but not good. Good places to go before games.

Arsenal - Very impressive stadium, good football but no atmosphere. Good places to go before games.

Crystal Palace - Ground is a dump, football often shit but great atmosphere. No good places to go before games.

Fulham - Nice little small family club in a nice area of London, but football is shit and there's no atmosphere. Good places to go before games.

West Ham - New stadium with no history, average football, no atmosphere, poor before games.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Harry said:

And spurs?

Their new stadium won't be ready in time for April so it'll be Wembley against Brighton for the weekend that he's here. Will be very easy to get tickets for that I imagine? @Storts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement