talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

AFC World Cup Qualifiers

football forum

Turkmenistan defeated Lebanon 3-2. This would've assured them a second place finish had North Korea not withdrawn. They are out now.

Makes things easier for others hoping for a second place finish. A point will be enough now if Lebanon don't beat South Korea

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Eco said:

Iran vs Cambodia tomorrow...should be a proper thrashing.

@Dr. Gonzo - Send me the link you use to watch the match. I'd love to check it out.

Yeah I’ll PM you in a sec pal

I hope we can match the 14-0 lol. Although because of North Korea dropping out, goal difference won’t be considered for the matches between 2nd place and 5th place.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah I’ll PM you in a sec pal

I hope we can match the 14-0 lol. Although because of North Korea dropping out, goal difference won’t be considered for the matches between 2nd place and 5th place.

Why did North Korea leave?

Oh some good news for Iran is that Vahid Amiri, who was one of the best players alongside Ghoddos and Azmoun in the match against Bahrain, will be available for the matches against Cambodia and Iraq.

I think he’ll probably be rested against Cambodia - but it’s probably very important to have him against Iraq

9 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Oh some good news for Iran is that Vahid Amiri, who was one of the best players alongside Ghoddos and Azmoun in the match against Bahrain, will be available for the matches against Cambodia and Iraq.

I think he’ll probably be rested against Cambodia - but it’s probably very important to have him against Iraq

Has Azmoun been good? He had a very solid year in the RPL.

1 hour ago, Eco said:

Has Azmoun been good? He had a very solid year in the RPL.

I didn’t find the link I’ve found to watch these games until this batch of qualifiers, starting with the Hong Kong match - so I can only really talk about the last two matches.

Against Hong Kong, Azmoun & Taremi both looked pretty rusty tbh. They both had lots of chances and they didn’t really take them. Which isn’t really the best…

But on the flip side, if your main strikers are going to be rusty… you’d rather they still get into good positions and take good shots. Which they did, especially Azmoun (Taremi’s finishing against HK was really bad lol).

Tbh the first half of that Bahrain game was sort of similar from them. But Iran didn’t play well in that first half or make as many chances as they did in the second half. In the second half, Iran shifted up a gear or two and started looking by far the better side.

And Azmoun benefited big time from us playing better, two well taken goals and he very nearly had a hat trick 

Azmoun and Amiri are rested, which I think was to be expected. Also gives the goalkeeper who was in the Portuguese team of the year alongside Taremi a chance to play - which I think is nice because imo he's a better keeper.

Jahanbakhsh gets a chance to play too, after finding himself out of favour with the national team because he's not getting enough play time at Brighton.

Stronger lineup than I expected.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Azmoun and Amiri are rested, which I think was to be expected. Also gives the goalkeeper who was in the Portuguese team of the year alongside Taremi a chance to play - which I think is nice because imo he's a better keeper.

Jahanbakhsh gets a chance to play too, after finding himself out of favour with the national team because he's not getting enough play time at Brighton.

Stronger lineup than I expected.

10 minutes in without a goal...time to panic?

1 minute ago, Eco said:

10 minutes in without a goal...time to panic?

I think we're the only side that spanked them as badly as we did the last time they met. They only lost 3-0 to Bahrain. I think a more "normal" scoreline should be expected tbh.

And Bahrain's one of our bogey teams - so they're pretty decent for this level... and is another reason why the last match was such a good result.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think we're the only side that spanked them as badly as we did the last time they met. They only lost 3-0 to Bahrain. I think a more "normal" scoreline should be expected tbh.

And Bahrain's one of our bogey teams - so they're pretty decent for this level... and is another reason why the last match was such a good result.

They lost 0-8 to Bahrain just a few days ago 😂

But either way, my spell seems to be working. I even got my shirt out and all... 

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

They lost 0-8 to Bahrain just a few days ago 😂

But either way, my spell seems to be working. I even got my shirt out and all... 

Oh, who did the “only” lose 3-0 to recently? I thought it was Bahrain?

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Oh, who did the “only” lose 3-0 to recently? I thought it was Bahrain?

Google says they lost 2-0 to Hong Kong. Not really a memorable result, but it's the closet to 3-0 in recent times.

1 minute ago, Eco said:

Google says they lost 2-0 to Hong Kong. Not really a memorable result, but it's the closet to 3-0 in recent times.

Yeah or that, because the Iraq game was a while back. Although tbh I don’t think Hong Kong are that great at football.

2-0 :D

Archived