talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

AFC World Cup Qualifiers

football forum

Some Iranian sources saying Taremi is being called back up to the Iran squad. Which is good, he's clearly their better players and if they want to have Iran's best ever world cup performance and actually get out of a group in the tournament they'll need players with quality like him.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Azmoun (our best player) and Hajsafi (captain) tested positive with lateral flow tests. Their PCR's came back negative though - but Zenit is refusing to release Azmoun, which is a shame because missing a player like him against Iraq is a shame. Hajsafi hasn't been officially ruled out and is joining the team in training.

If Australia lose to japan they can't qualify in 2nd. 
If they draw, then need to beat group leaders Saudi Arabia in the middle east in the final game. 
If they beat Japan, they'll still likely need a win in the final game. 

@Spike @Toinho Looks like Australia finally gonna miss out on one. Not that they can win a fucking game at one anyway. 

4 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

If Australia lose to japan they can't qualify in 2nd. 
If they draw, then need to beat group leaders Saudi Arabia in the middle east in the final game. 
If they beat Japan, they'll still likely need a win in the final game. 

@Spike @Toinho Looks like Australia finally gonna miss out on one. Not that they can win a fucking game at one anyway. 

They are pretty shit

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I'm going to Aus vs Jap on thursday boys @Toinho @Spike I am a true patriot. 

Good lad!

I am nervous, definitely think we are not qualifying automatically (obviously), can't see us defeating Japan with our incredibly mediocre squad (no Mooy among a few others but even that won't automatically make us win it), and having to defeat the Saudi's in their hellhole, make me think we are at best off to the qualifiers.

Predictions:

Australia 1-2 Japan (optimistic)

Saudi Arabia 2-2 Australia (optimistic)

1 hour ago, Toinho said:

Good lad!

I am nervous, definitely think we are not qualifying automatically (obviously), can't see us defeating Japan with our incredibly mediocre squad (no Mooy among a few others but even that won't automatically make us win it), and having to defeat the Saudi's in their hellhole, make me think we are at best off to the qualifiers.

Predictions:

Australia 1-2 Japan (optimistic)

Saudi Arabia 2-2 Australia (optimistic)

I don't think your predictions are overly optimistic, but I do agree, Australia are bound for 3rd. They'd need a meltdown not too. Either way, I dont think they're going to the world cup. 

49 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I don't think your predictions are overly optimistic, but I do agree, Australia are bound for 3rd. They'd need a meltdown not too. Either way, I dont think they're going to the world cup. 

Yep, such a shame but I cannot see this group of players coupled with our manager being good enough to get through any playoffs.

1 hour ago, Toinho said:

Yep, such a shame but I cannot see this group of players coupled with our manager being good enough to get through any playoffs.

Let's face it, as much as I think Arnie is bang average, in 2014 WC they only qualified by the skin of their teeth, with a last minute goal to put them through in 2nd. They won 0 games that world cup. 

Then in 2018, finished 3rd, miraculously beat fucking SYRIA in extra time of play off 1, then beat honduras 0-0 and 3-0, very lucky to play off against such a weak team. Lots had to go right to qualify. Then they won 0 games that world cup 

This time there probably won't be such luck. And it's been coming. This goes way deeper than Arnold. The A-League has stopped young aussie teens going overseas early. So instead of players like Cahill, Schwarzer, Kewell and Neil learning the game at academy's with good coaches and playing higher level football at a young age, you learn your trade off donkeys in the a- league, ply your trade against donkeys and only the absolute most outstanding young guys are worth a european club picking up. 

26 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Let's face it, as much as I think Arnie is bang average, in 2014 WC they only qualified by the skin of their teeth, with a last minute goal to put them through in 2nd. They won 0 games that world cup. 

Then in 2018, finished 3rd, miraculously beat fucking SYRIA in extra time of play off 1, then beat honduras 0-0 and 3-0, very lucky to play off against such a weak team. Lots had to go right to qualify. Then they won 0 games that world cup 

This time there probably won't be such luck. And it's been coming. This goes way deeper than Arnold. The A-League has stopped young aussie teens going overseas early. So instead of players like Cahill, Schwarzer, Kewell and Neil learning the game at academy's with good coaches and playing higher level football at a young age, you learn your trade off donkeys in the a- league, ply your trade against donkeys and only the absolute most outstanding young guys are worth a european club picking up. 

You're right, It's been a while without much quality and performance on the international stage. I would say the 2014 side was decent though. The qualifying wasn't amazing and 0 points at the WC, but don't forget we were in a group with Netherlands, Chile and Spain.

I think the a-league point re: teens is true. There are some decent players and coaches in the a-league at the moment, some of the imports are definitely a higher quality than most of our homegrown players, but yep, I really think we are not creating players who are good enough nor willing to fight and learn in tougher enviroments. Throw in, those like Boyle, Mooy taking the money in bang average leagues (China, Saudi Arabia, etc), it all affects the national team.

10 hours ago, Toinho said:

You're right, It's been a while without much quality and performance on the international stage. I would say the 2014 side was decent though. The qualifying wasn't amazing and 0 points at the WC, but don't forget we were in a group with Netherlands, Chile and Spain.

I think the a-league point re: teens is true. There are some decent players and coaches in the a-league at the moment, some of the imports are definitely a higher quality than most of our homegrown players, but yep, I really think we are not creating players who are good enough nor willing to fight and learn in tougher enviroments. Throw in, those like Boyle, Mooy taking the money in bang average leagues (China, Saudi Arabia, etc), it all affects the national team.

Seems weird to me when Iran's got more players (or a similar number of players) playing in Europe than Australia does. And the current Iran squad is also missing a lot of the normal starters who do play in Europe.

• Administrator

How the fuck is this game still 0-0 xD 

On an absolute bog of a pitch as well, there could have been goals aplenty. Minamino could have realistically had 3 of them - hit the bar twice and just had a shot cleared off the line.

I didn't wake up early enough to watch the match, but what I'm hearing is that Skocic had us set up with the most defensive XI and tactics of his time as Iran manager, which is fair considering we've got some of our better players missing.

But the defense is absolutely the weakest part of the squad. So we had a defensive setup but a bad defensive performance and it was supposed to be Iran's worst performance under Skocic... I didn't see it so I can't verify it. But I think it's his first loss in a competitive match as Iran manager... so that sounds about right.

But on the flip side, South Korea's obviously the best opponent there is in the group with some very good players, so a bad performance against good players and only losing 2-0 isn't so shit. And we've already qualified so it doesn't really matter.

Iran's defense at this World Cup is gonna be total dogshit though. 2 Qatari league players at CB, a backup player at Dyamo Zagreb at RB, and an IPL player at LB (and tbf... I think he's the best of the 4).

Think they'll end up looking dogshit without Carlos Queiroz setting us up to be the ultimate shithousing team xD - don't get me wrong, I like that Skocic sees that our best players are our strikers and tries to get them as many opportunities as possible. But pretty much anyone we get matched in a group with will be MILES better than our normal opponents.

Archived