talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

AFC World Cup Qualifiers

football forum

2 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

They barely scrapped past Syria last time. Also, will probably be iraq. Not UAE. 

Could also VERY easily be Uruguay or less likely Chile. 

I've not watched Australia play in a long time, but I've watched Iraq play a few times recently and... I suspect Australia can beat them.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I've not watched Australia play in a long time, but I've watched Iraq play a few times recently and... I suspect Australia can beat them.

Australia started a player from the japanese 2nd division, who has 0 goals in 5 games. 

Things have changed.

2 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Australia started a player from the japanese 2nd division, who has 0 goals in 5 games. 

Things have changed.

I would've started JMAC or even Bruno ahead of him. I get some of the logic for starting him vs Japanese opposition. He just doesn't score many goals and that's a problem for a fucking striker!

I didn't get to watch much of the second half -which was a blessing in disguise.

We need a reshuffle of Australian Football, let's start with Arnold and then clean out the whole system.

6 minutes ago, Tommy said:

How did Vietnam manage to pull that off? :D

Unbenannt.png

Yeah I watched some of the match and it was one way traffic as the stats suggest. However the Japanese had rested many key players for this game as they had already qualified. Had Japan fielded their best players, I suspect that they would have put away their chances and scored several goals.

On 24/03/2022 at 16:02, Gunnersauraus said:

Looks like it will be australia v Peru in the play offs. I would expect Australia to beat U.A.E

Australia will beat both the UAE or Iraq, whichever one they play. The Aussies have a much better team than either of those other two teams and Australia are particularly good on home soil, so you'd expect them to definitely win at home. 

Playing Peru in the play-offs however would be a much trickier task. 

UAE beat South Korea, so Australia will be facing them in the playoffs. I think that's a bit shit for Australia, as I think Iraq would be a much easier opponent for them to face.

Iran finish their group top after beating Lebanon 2-0. After seeing how Iran's done in this second round, as much as I like Ghoddos... he's not done enough for club and country for me to think he should be starting at the world cup. Nourallahi plays in Dubai... but in this qualification campaign he's done so much that demonstrates he should be in that starting spot ahead of Ghoddos. I think Skocic feels the same way, so I hope that's how the midfield goes.

Lotta interesting question marks for Iran ahead of this world cup - what players deserve to be in the first XI, how will Iran do on the world stage without Queiroz's shithousing, which of our crap CBs play alongside our decent CB, which of our keepers should start...

Guess there's a lot of time for Skocic to find the answers to those questions though.

9 hours ago, Michael said:

Australia will beat both the UAE or Iraq, whichever one they play. The Aussies have a much better team than either of those other two teams and Australia are particularly good on home soil, so you'd expect them to definitely win at home. 

Playing Peru in the play-offs however would be a much trickier task. 

Could very easily be Columbia too. 

Australia 'particularly good oh home soil'? Maybe 15 years ago. They couldn't beat Japan or Saudi Arabia on Aussie soil. And there's no chance they beat whoever they play from south America. None. 

35 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Could very easily be Columbia too. 

Australia 'particularly good oh home soil'? Maybe 15 years ago. They couldn't beat Japan or Saudi Arabia on Aussie soil. And there's no chance they beat whoever they play from south America. None. 

Yeah, it could be Colombia, who in my opinion are even stronger than Peru on paper. 

Australia are good on home soil against 95% of Asian sides. Japan and Saudi Arabia are two of the best on the continent, so obviously it was going to be a lot tougher against them. They would certainly have beaten Iraq on home soil and even the UAE. However, I've just noticed that that the play-off match against the UAE will be played in Doha, Qatar, which is bound to suit the UAE more than Australia. Australia should still prevail though.

5 hours ago, Michael said:

Yeah, it could be Colombia, who in my opinion are even stronger than Peru on paper. 

Australia are good on home soil against 95% of Asian sides. Japan and Saudi Arabia are two of the best on the continent, so obviously it was going to be a lot tougher against them. They would certainly have beaten Iraq on home soil and even the UAE. However, I've just noticed that that the play-off match against the UAE will be played in Doha, Qatar, which is bound to suit the UAE more than Australia. Australia should still prevail though.

Yep it is in Doha.

Honestly, if we still have Graham Arnold as coach and the likes of Mooy and Rogic don't play, we are not beating the U.A.E. I never bloody thought I would type that. Harry Souttar doing his ACL last year has severely impacted our hopes to qualify IMO.

Interestingly the Peru game is in Doha too, 6 days or so later. I think it will be a miracle if we qualify and I will be super proud and happy. However, I do not expect it. We have been the victim of our own Governing body being inept with youth and development, as well as players going to ridiculous leagues for money, not fighting for places in Europe, and unfortunately perhaps expanding our league too quickly/making poor choices with franchise licensees. We are a far cry from 2006. Or even 2014!

1 hour ago, Toinho said:

Yep it is in Doha.

Honestly, if we still have Graham Arnold as coach and the likes of Mooy and Rogic don't play, we are not beating the U.A.E. I never bloody thought I would type that. Harry Souttar doing his ACL last year has severely impacted our hopes to qualify IMO.

Interestingly the Peru game is in Doha too, 6 days or so later. I think it will be a miracle if we qualify and I will be super proud and happy. However, I do not expect it. We have been the victim of our own Governing body being inept with youth and development, as well as players going to ridiculous leagues for money, not fighting for places in Europe, and unfortunately perhaps expanding our league too quickly/making poor choices with franchise licensees. We are a far cry from 2006. Or even 2014!

Cahills cracker in 2014 papered over so many cracks. If not for that goal, there was nothing to shout about, and the reality is
Australia lost 3, conceded 9, had a past his prime midfielder playing at striker, plus Jedinack, Ryan and a bunch of no hopers. 8 years on and things got worse even. 

17 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Cahills cracker in 2014 papered over so many cracks. If not for that goal, there was nothing to shout about, and the reality is
Australia lost 3, conceded 9, had a past his prime midfielder playing at striker, plus Jedinack, Ryan and a bunch of no hopers. 8 years on and things got worse even. 

Yeah Jedinek and Ryan were good players for Australia. But, yeah I never said we were brilliant, however definitely done down since then.

20 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

A long way too. 

A long, long way. 

Absolutely buzzing that a man who has won 1 of his past 7 has kept his job and remains THE MAN TO TAKE US TO THE WORLD CUP. Wooo Arnie 4eva.

• 2 months later...

I am so nervous for our game versus U.A.E. Mental that I typed that. However, no Rogic and no real fire power going forward has me nervous as feck. I am tempted to get up tomorrow morning to watch, but that'll mean being up at like 2am.

10 minutes ago, Toinho said:

I am so nervous for our game versus U.A.E. Mental that I typed that. However, no Rogic and no real fire power going forward has me nervous as feck. I am tempted to get up tomorrow morning to watch, but that'll mean being up at like 2am.

Why? Australia has sucked in the Middle East for a decade. They're the slight underdogs in the game. 

But either way, you think they're beating Peru? I know it's a 1 off anything can happen game. But I don't think the result against UAE matters. Australia aren't going to the world cup, and it's more to do with shit infrastructure breeding shit players than it is to do with Arnie.

15 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Why? Australia has sucked in the Middle East for a decade. They're the slight underdogs in the game. 

But either way, you think they're beating Peru? I know it's a 1 off anything can happen game. But I don't think the result against UAE matters. Australia aren't going to the world cup, and it's more to do with shit infrastructure breeding shit players than it is to do with Arnie.

I don't think we are beating Peru, have never said that, however I would of course like us to make it to that game. As you said, we suck in the middle east, that is why I am nervous. Although, even 6-7 years ago I wouldn't have been that nervous. UAE in Australia, different story.

I mean the AIS was relatively successful, I am not sure why that got replaced/removed?

3 hours ago, Toinho said:

I don't think we are beating Peru, have never said that, however I would of course like us to make it to that game. As you said, we suck in the middle east, that is why I am nervous. Although, even 6-7 years ago I wouldn't have been that nervous. UAE in Australia, different story.

I mean the AIS was relatively successful, I am not sure why that got replaced/removed?

Your memory betrays you. In 2014 WC qualifying Australia lost to Oman in Oman, drew 0-0 with Oman in Oman, and lost to Jordan away. 

For a total middle eastern record of 4 played, 1 win (2-1 to group bottom Iraq) 1 draw and 2 losses. 
We've been WAY shitter than you think for a much longer time. 

33 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Your memory betrays you. In 2014 WC qualifying Australia lost to Oman in Oman, drew 0-0 with Oman in Oman, and lost to Jordan away. 

For a total middle eastern record of 4 played, 1 win (2-1 to group bottom Iraq) 1 draw and 2 losses. 
We've been WAY shitter than you think for a much longer time. 

That was 8-9 years ago, I did say 6-7 ;) Which in 2016 we defeated UAE in the middle east, we drew away to Iraq and Saudi Arabia.  So in fact, my memory served me right. That was all WCQ.

It's 0-0 at half-time, but I am sure Australia will win this game. There have been limited chances in the 1st half for both sides, although the UAE probably had the 2 most dangerous chances. Still I think Australia will find the winning formula in the 2nd half with either Hrustic or Leckie upfront finding a key goal, despite the playing conditions favouring the UAE.

Having watched them in their group matches, Australia had a much tougher group than the UAE, with teams like Japan, Saudi Arabia and Oman all impressing. These teams are all teams who are better than the UAE. Japan and Saudi Arabia are probably the two best teams in Asia, along with South Korea and Iran, with Australia also up there. Oman also really impressed and proved that they are amongst Asia's best as well, even if they were perhaps lacking in experience. 

Australia are always very strong at home, it's when they play away against strong opponents where they can struggle, concede and lose at times.A At home they thumped Vietnam 4-0 and beat China 3-0 in the group stage. In games they dominated, showing a clear gulf in class, where their defence was hardly troubled. Away from home, they need to improve, but even though today's match against the UAE is tough, Australia should prevail.

Archived