talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tennis

football forum

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Eco said:

Yeah - I guess it's great for the crowd, but I really hope Rafa wins this. 

Nah, Rafas in double figures for French Open titles. Great achievement but incredibly boring. I'd rather see a few slam wins from the next generation over Nadal and Federer and Djokovic rather than them just inheriting them by default when those elite guys retire.

3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Nah, Rafas in double figures for French Open titles. Great achievement but incredibly boring. I'd rather see a few slam wins from the next generation over Nadal and Federer and Djokovic rather than them just inheriting them by default when those elite guys retire.

I'm a Rafa guy so the more the merrier. I have never like Djokovic so it was him, I'd be going for Thiem, but we are watching the best ever on Clay, and I'd love to see him extend his lead. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Eco said:

Rafa about to go up a double break anyways. :Spain:

What's happened to Thiem?! Tired himself out totally by looks of it. Such a contrast to first 2 sets.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

What's happened to Thiem?! Tired himself out totally by looks of it. Such a contrast to first 2 sets.

He's played 4 days in a row, finally won a set over Nadal. 

The thing about Fed and Rafa are, when they lose a set in a Final, they still have another gear. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Eco said:

He's played 4 days in a row, finally won a set over Nadal. 

The thing about Fed and Rafa are, when they lose a set in a Final, they still have another gear. 

Yep. Just makes them  even more determined to win.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Eco said:

Rafa breaks Thiem to go up 2-0 in the 3rd set. 

It's likely over, now. 

Yep. Quality and experience showing over Thiem now.

Although thought it was quite harsh to say Thiem is playing like a teenager even though he's 25. He's not been that bad or thrown his toys out the pram. Really don't know what they were angling at there.

Just now, Stan said:

Yep. Quality and experience showing over Thiem now.

Although thought it was quite harsh to say Thiem is playing like a teenager even though he's 25. He's not been that bad or thrown his toys out the pram. Really don't know what they were angling at there.

I didn't hear that commentary. 

Thiem is a class act. Like I was telling @RandoEFC - I hope he wins a Major while the big 3 are still playing, but just not the French Open against Nadal. I also wouldn't want him beating Fed at Wimbledon.

Rafa up 3-0 now. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Eco said:

Haha - I love the FO. 

Do you play Tennis? Have you played on clay before? 

I have in the past and i always enjoyed it, but not for a loooong time. Nope, never played on clay? Do you play?

7 minutes ago, JOSHBRFC said:

I have in the past and i always enjoyed it, but not for a loooong time. Nope, never played on clay? Do you play?

Yeah - I play 3-4 times a week. We have a neighborhood league (Doubles), and I play in a city league with my Father-in-Law (Doubles), and then in a city Singles League. 

Usually try to get a practice in at least once a week. 

Playing on clay is soooooo different. We have 2 clay courts in my neighborhood (and 18 Composite surfaces), and I enjoy playing on clay, but it definitely is MUCH harder unless it suits your game. 

I'd do just about anything possible to be able to pay Nadal in a set on clay. No way I'd win a point, but I would just love to see him across the court. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Eco said:

Yeah - I play 3-4 times a week. We have a neighborhood league (Doubles), and I play in a city league with my Father-in-Law (Doubles), and then in a city Singles League. 

Usually try to get a practice in at least once a week. 

Playing on clay is soooooo different. We have 2 clay courts in my neighborhood (and 18 Composite surfaces), and I enjoy playing on clay, but it definitely is MUCH harder unless it suits your game. 

I'd do just about anything possible to be able to pay Nadal in a set on clay. No way I'd win a point, but I would just love to see him across the court. 

Nice. :ay:

1 minute ago, JOSHBRFC said:

I appreciate everything he's done on Clay, but Federer is still the most mesmerizing player to watch in his prime, for me. 

Yeah - they are completely different styles. 

Fed is amazing because he glids on the court. 

Rafa amazes me because he looks more athletic and really gives all of him to each match. 

• Administrator

And Rafa sees out the win! 

The third set killed Thiem but it was a decent final apart from that. Thiem pushed Nadal in first 2 sets but Nadal looked fitter and more energetic than Thiem throughout. Experience showed. 

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

Only took 43 years to realise someone made a mistake xD 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/48573957

All this time we'd been thinking Sue Barker was the last British woman to win the French Open.

Apparently we were wrong.

Because, according to the French Open trophy, Barker is, in fact, Australian.

Ashleigh Barty, who is actually Australian, noticed the error after she was crowned women's singles champion on Saturday.

She searched for her compatriots on the trophy, looking for Margaret Court, who was the last Australian champion - in 1973.

But next to Barker's name it reads 'AUST' rather than 'GB'.

Barker, now a BBC presenter, won her only Grand Slam title in 1976, but nobody has fixed the engraving error in the 43 years which have passed.

French Open organisers said on Sunday the mistake would be rectified.

They will also amend the 1977 engraving, with champion Mima Jausovec's surname spelt Jausevec.

Oops.

• Haha 1

18th Grand Slam for Rafa. If he hadn't had all those long term injuries, surely he would have surpassed Federer in Grand Slam wins already, no? Two more to go, and he's 5 years younger than Fed. I think he'll catch him. 

• Subscriber

Murray is aiming for a singles return this year. Definitely not Wimbledon and doubtful for the US Open in August. Would be good to see him return as nobody has ever returned to competitive singles after having the operation he's had.

• Wow 1