talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Big Middle Eastern Thread

football forum

12 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Iran's weapon exports to Hezbollah in Lebanon have really ramped up in recent weeks. And now Hezbollah's getting more and more involved in the conflict. I feel bad for Lebanon. The government has no power. Nobody really wants to get involved in another brutal war other than Hezbollah - the country is in a bad way right now.

The last time Hezbollah and Israel fought, it was essentially a stalemate - but the cost to Lebanon was high. If Hezbollah keeps escalating, Lebanon's going to see itself getting the Gaza 2023 treatment. It benefits nobody in Lebanon for them to be at war with Israel once again. It's a country that relies on tourism and the last time they fought, the IDF blew up Beirut's international airport. That would probably happen again... and this time the country is still in recovery from the horrific port explosion.

I don't dismiss the theories Israel was behind that nuke like looking explosion in Lebanon few years back. 

The immigration in Israel is tightly under the scrutiny of Orthodox Rabbis. They do thorough vetting to see if someone is 'really' Jewish to grant them citizenship, having a Jewish maternal lineage is a must. 

• Upvote 1

Arrange these factors in order based on what you think are the primary reasons for US's slavish like support to Israel.

Hate for Arabs/Muslims, Outpost to protect US interests in the region, Evangelical end times beliefs, Mossad having tapes of them having fun at Epstein island

Mine

1. Evangelical end times beliefs

2. Hate for Arabs/Muslims

3. Outpost to protect interests

4. Mossad having tapes

15 hours ago, Beelzebub said:

Arrange these factors in order based on what you think are the primary reasons for US's slavish like support to Israel.

Hate for Arabs/Muslims, Outpost to protect US interests in the region, Evangelical end times beliefs, Mossad having tapes of them having fun at Epstein island

Mine

1. Evangelical end times beliefs

2. Hate for Arabs/Muslims

3. Outpost to protect interests

4. Mossad having tapes

I think they just reap the benefits of American politics relying on lobbying because being elected is expensive - and they’ve got a well funded and strong lobby in the US.

https://newrepublic.com/post/177804/netanyahu-wants-dershowitz-israel-hague-gaza-genocide-hearing

lol Netanyahu wants Alan Dershowitz to represent Israel against the genocide charge South Africa leveled at it. Hilarious timing with Dershowitz showing up 3 times in the Epstein flight records.

Great PR. Who better to defend the indiscriminate bombing of a densely packed area full of children than an alleged child rapist, who's advocated for lowering the age of consent in the past.

• Wow 1

4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

https://newrepublic.com/post/177804/netanyahu-wants-dershowitz-israel-hague-gaza-genocide-hearing

lol Netanyahu wants Alan Dershowitz to represent Israel against the genocide charge South Africa leveled at it. Hilarious timing with Dershowitz showing up 3 times in the Epstein flight records.

Great PR. Who better to defend the indiscriminate bombing of a densely packed area full of children than an alleged child rapist, who's advocated for lowering the age of consent in the past.

Dershowitz ckaims he was arguing from a legal Constitutional point.  If a 16 year old has the constitutional right to have an abortion without state or parental interference, how could she not have the constitutional right to engage in consensual sex?   He said he was against it morally.   Though it will be interesting to see if anything comes up about him with the release of files on Epstein 

I always have liked Dershowitz,  respect his legal view of the Constitution.,  would have liked to see him on the Supreme Court. He will do a good job for Israel if he accepts the offer.

Edited by Redcanuck

@Redcanuck - we'll probably never know, but AP seems to think it's ISIS (which I take to mean this had some Saudi involvement), the IR is quick to blame Israel for it - which has members of Iranian opposition claiming that it was the IR itself in a false flag attack. There's certainly history for that, with things like Cinema Rex. MEK are, in my mind, the most likely suspects because a terrorist attack that targets a large number of children as well as those connected to the government seems like the kind of stupid move they would do. They're absolutely hated in Iran, despite their close ties with the American right-wing.

I feel bad for the kids though. Iran does this a lot with their big televised propaganda events: they'll bus in shitloads of poor people and their kids in to participate in propaganda events with the promise of giving them food. Now there's 95 people dead and over 200 injured... and a lot of them are kids.

But I doubt we'll ever know who was truly behind this. Personally... I think it's an inside job. It seems conspiratorial - but it is surprising that no high level sepahis were at the procession. Like with the Shah Cheragh attack... I think this is similar to the Cinema Rex attack of the 70s. The Shah got the blame, but most evidence pointed towards it being done by pro-Islamacists that would eventually foist Khomeini's reign of terror on Iran.

1 hour ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Not really connected, still I'm curious. @Dr. Gonzo Do you know whether the Tudeh Party is still active?

They are but they aren’t really that big anymore.

They’re still banned in Iran, so they can’t run for any political office. Most of the more active people from the party were killed in part of the mass purges of the 80s and the rest are in exile.

• Upvote 1

Times of Israel claims Israel in talks with African countries including Congo DR to take in Gazans. There is something very dark about Zionists doing everything which was once proposed or done to Jews themselves. 

Just now, Redcanuck said:

Shia/ Sunni dispute.  Another big problem in the region.

Yeah and Soleimani, while being a massive piece of shit, was a big part in the fight against ISIS in Iraq and Syria. It's why he's a conflicting figure among many Iranians, because a lot of people hate the brutal dictatorship they live under - and people like Soleimani are the oppressors of Iran. But ISIS are a brutal group of Sunni extremists who believe that Shias are the worst sort of infidels and must die. So he was a sort of partially hated, partially seen as a hero, sort of figure.

Killing people at this mourning procession that was being used as government propaganda by the IR also coincides where a few members of ISIS are being put on trial for terrorism in Iran. So it's partially symbolic in attacking people mourning a man they hated deeply, and partially sending a message to the IR about retaliating against ISIS.

I'm going to be honest though, I think there is something very suspicious about a propaganda festival for a revered member of Iranian's elite not having any high ranking sepahis (IRGC members) or government officials there.

7 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Israel have planned what to do with Gaza after the war.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-67888794

So an occupation that sounds similar to the West Bank, IDF to stay as a security force, multinational foreign coalition to rebuild Gaza.

I think it should be the other way around tbh. Multinational foreign coalition to provide security, Israel to rebuild.

I just don’t believe there’s a real path to lasting peace if it’s just Israel and Palestine left to continue doing what they’ve always done. I don’t think there’s peace without an international body they both have to answer to if things kick off in Gaza again.

And it’s not like the West Bank occupation has been a staggering success. The West Bank is less extremist and more peaceful, but Israel are more directly to blame for the inequity and theft of dignity for Palestinians in the West Bank. The illegal land grabs by settlers, and settler violence towards Palestinians for simply being in their homes, that the IDF & courts turn a blind eye to are another shameful violation of Palestinian human rights in the West Bank.

The same sort of thing in Gaza is better than Hamas ruling over Gaza now. But if we see the same thing as the West Bank it’s not really a good solution for anyone except for people who benefit from illegal land grabs.