talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Outdoors, Wilderness & Survival Skills

football forum

1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

Loud noises generally work as well but yeah running away is a tough one unless you think you can outrun it in its natural habitat. 

No problems for me I reckon.. I will just get really mad and problem sorted!!! 

Image result for standing up to a bear gif

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Stick With Azeem said:

Does pretending dead works with bears ?

Here's what the experts say:
  1. If you encounter a grizzly, do not run.
  2. Avoid direct eye contact.
  3. Walk away slowly, if the bear is not approaching.
  4. If the bear charges, stand your ground (you cannot outrun it).
  5. Don't scream or yell. ...
  6. If you have pepper spray, prepare to use it.

1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:
Here's what the experts say:
  1. If you encounter a grizzly, do not run.
  2. Avoid direct eye contact.
  3. Walk away slowly, if the bear is not approaching.
  4. If the bear charges, stand your ground (you cannot outrun it).
  5. Don't scream or yell. ...
  6. If you have pepper spray, prepare to use it.

What if i don't ?

1 hour ago, The Rebel CRS said:

@nudge I forgot to mention that I completely agree about kids of today not getting out enough in the wilderness. It's healthy for people to do so, both mentally and physically. I also believe it's a fantastic way of boosting your immune system.

Probably be the only time you wouldn't mind them carrying around knives.... 

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

Then I suggest hiding under a door like John Candy, that should buy you some time... 

Related image

Looks like a great back massage tbf.

2 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

@nudge I forgot to mention that I completely agree about kids of today not getting out enough in the wilderness. It's healthy for people to do so, both mentally and physically. I also believe it's a fantastic way of boosting your immune system.

I worked a bit on a research project at uni which looked into factors influencing quality of life in the cities (as perceived by its inhabitants). Urban green spaces and nature spots turned out to be extremely important for improving one's well-being and life satisfaction - even when accounted for changes in one's income, employment and marital status, physical health and housing type. It seems the effect on mental well-being is especially huge; there's a link with exposure to nature with less stress, anxiety and depression and even better cognitive development in children. 
Definitely true for the immune system as well as when children get exposed to various germs and bacteria at an early age it helps them to develop a strong and well balanced immune system... 

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Looks like a great back massage tbf.

For sure... If it wasn't for the disemboweling and having my head gnawed on like a stick of Blackpool Rock I am sure I would be feeling very relaxed by the end of it... 

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/06/2019 at 20:51, Mel81x said:

I'd imagine it should (gas that is). I can't imagine myself doing too much cooking on something like this just a light morning breakfast then something in the evening really but the rest of the time I'd be fine without it. The thing that gets me the most about it is how the points connect up to the device and heat things evenly which is such a blessing.

They also sell other products which are useful as fuck when it comes to the camping aspect of angling. I have the following made by them:-

A toaster/frying pan combo:-

youtube_olwUNRDOGLY.jpg

Rechargeable headtorch(which also includes a green or red light, that doesn't affect night vision when you switch it off, unlike white light):-

RidgeMonkey_VRH300_USB_Rechargeable_Head

Rechargeable light with a remote:-

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTzDObowhAgAV53eWvug5s

They also sell other shit like this combi pan and power pack(to charge your shit up), although I don't have either:-

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTlGpNZVtsb0N7n0Ut-VDg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTIgPJ31x9t9Unea34xKQr

Honestly though, the stove is incredible. One thing I have had quite a lot of in my time are stoves and none come close to this. I've had much larger ones and also ones which can fit in your pocket, but this is perfect. It has 2 heads you can connect together although even just buying the primary head is fine. It's not too bulky at all and also gives you four points of contact, unlike most stoves, which give you three. It's the only stove I've had that can truly cope on uneven surfaces and cook everything in the pan evenly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

There's this Canadian man who left the city two years ago, built a log cabin in the woods completely by himself using mostly hand tools and now lives there with his dog while practicing bushcraft and survival skills every day, including fire starting, tree identification and harvesting, wild edible foraging, fishing, hunting, camping in the summer and winter, travelling by canoe and snowshoe, navigation and water collection and purification.

Just look the timelapse of the log cabin he built. How amazing is it :o 

Absolutely incredible.

@Bluewolffor inspiration :D 

@The Rebel CRS

1 hour ago, nudge said:

There's this Canadian man who left the city two years ago, built a log cabin in the woods completely by himself using mostly hand tools and now lives there with his dog while practicing bushcraft and survival skills every day, including fire starting, tree identification and harvesting, wild edible foraging, fishing, hunting, camping in the summer and winter, travelling by canoe and snowshoe, navigation and water collection and purification.

Absolutely incredible.

@The Rebel CRS

That's amazing work... he must have got a hell of a lot of satisfaction from completing that... 

• Subscriber
18 hours ago, nudge said:

Absolutely incredible.

@The Rebel CRS

Bloody amazing, wish that was me :x

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Looks terribly tasty.

One of my favourite mushrooms... Easy to identify, tasty, meaty, nutritious, easy to clean and they barely ever have any worms/parasites.

Got enough for at least 3-4 meals; getting them sautéed in butter with some onion and a little cream right now along some fresh potatoes... Will try to forage more and freeze them for later.

On 07/07/2019 at 20:04, The Rebel CRS said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTIgPJ31x9t9Unea34xKQr

I bought one of these in the end as I saw offers on ebay from a tackle retailer I buy from. They should be £140 but I paid £110 due to the offer. So far, well worth the money. I have just used it to charge my phone and my head torch, etc for the past 2 days and it still has 4 bars out of 4.

There is another one for £180 which is even more powerful, but this one does for me as the most I will need it for is about 5 days(possibly 7) and that should easily last. What's more, unlike other power packs, it only takes about 3/4 hours to charge the actual pack up, whereas other versions, cheaper and lesser powered ones, can take like 15 hours and are a nightmare. Worth the money so far, like literally everything that "Ridgemonkey" make is. It's a brand directed at fisherman and since carp fishing involves camping out aswell, they make everything that suits the camping aspect of fishing and it's all of high quality.

• 7 months later...
  • Subscriber

With pretty much all of us stuck indoors for the foreseeable future this thread might be worth reviving xD 

In truth I only remembered it thanks to this trailer for the new show (or rather a continuation of the older one):

@Bluewolf

4 minutes ago, nudge said:

With pretty much all of us stuck indoors for the foreseeable future this thread might be worth reviving xD 

In truth I only remembered it thanks to this trailer for the new show (or rather a continuation of the older one):

@Bluewolf

30 days with no food??? piece of piss

They do know we are entering our 43rd day with nothing on the shelves in the shops over here right?? 

Got noodles again tonight for the grandkids... " What's that kids?? I know it's hard to keep them on your fork while they are wriggling about but just get them down you... "

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

30 days with no food??? piece of piss

They do know we are entering our 43rd day with nothing on the shelves in the shops over here right?? 

Got noodles again tonight for the grandkids... " What's that kids?? I know it's hard to keep them on your fork while they are wriggling about but just get them down you... "

I haven't watched it myself yet... But judging from the description they are given "an untouched fallen animal" for food. Hope it's not a hamster xD 

"From the creators of HISTORY’s show Alone comes a series where 3 strangers attempt to endure 30 days in a remote location with no tools or modern amenities, just the clothes on their backs & an untouched fallen animal. Faced with punishing weather, relentless predators, and their differing survival styles, it’ll take all their ingenuity and stamina to work together & survive in Alone: The Beast."

16 minutes ago, nudge said:

I haven't watched it myself yet... But judging from the description they are given "an untouched fallen animal" for food. Hope it's not a hamster xD 

"From the creators of HISTORY’s show Alone comes a series where 3 strangers attempt to endure 30 days in a remote location with no tools or modern amenities, just the clothes on their backs & an untouched fallen animal. Faced with punishing weather, relentless predators, and their differing survival styles, it’ll take all their ingenuity and stamina to work together & survive in Alone: The Beast."

I will see if I can find it and give the first one a watch... 

Archived