talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Making Music

football forum

• Subscriber
45 minutes ago, Machado said:

Never tried it but I never recorded anything so I guess it's not important.

I know people who use the click when they are playing sets live too and the most important thing it does is give you a reference for the rhythm parts especially in songs where the rhythms double or if you have time signatures that change as well. Practicing with a metronome is another one that I think goes hand-in-hand with playing with a click because playing a part of the song or the whole song along with something guiding the time really strengthens your understanding of time and how to use it effectively too.

Having said all that, like you said if you've never done it then it really doesn't make sense to use it because i've also found that sometimes it can really just mess with your head haha.

Think the video is missing from your post btw.

Edited by Mel81x
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mel81x said:

How many of you in here play or sing with a click in your ear? I used to hate it at first but does it ever help with auto-correct and time alignment.

I practice with one (well... sort of, I practice with a metronome), but if I’m playing with other people... I don’t like one. But I know a lot of people who do. I also know a lot of people who don’t.

I also know that tons of big bands play to a click track as well, so there is that - although a lot of them just have the drummer playing to the click track.

For recording, I’ve got mixed views on it - but I think that’s because I get massive anxiety when that red recording light is on and the click track is in my ear. I’ve heard the best way to get over that is to just record yourself whenever you practice... but idk. I’ve hated every single one of the recordings I’ve ever made xD

But for practicing, I think it’s pretty important if you’re learning anything that you find complicated - for rhythm or lead. It’s just much easier to learn get the timing right and build muscle memory playing slow with the click and gradually upping the BPM.

I also only ever play with it when I’m practicing through headphones. Otherwise I can’t hear the click over my guitar & I don’t have in ear monitors to fix that.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I know people who use the click when they are playing sets live too and the most important thing it does is give you a reference for the rhythm parts especially in songs where the rhythms double or if you have time signatures that change as well. Practicing with a metronome is another one that I think goes hand-in-hand with playing with a click because playing a part of the song or the whole song along with something guiding the time really strengthens your understanding of time and how to use it effectively too.

Having said all that, like you said if you've never done it then it really doesn't make sense to use it because i've also found that sometimes it can really just mess with your head haha.

Think the video is missing from your post btw.

I see the usefulness in it. I suppose if I was to make a cover of any track but not playing along to the original or using some device to help guide me, the tempo would be way off in comparison to the original as I lack that practice.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Machado said:

I see the usefulness in it. I suppose if I was to make a cover of any track but not playing along to the original or using some device to help guide me, the tempo would be way off in comparison to the original as I lack that practice.

i think thats also quite fair when you think about it. You have the drums and the bass line to guide the guitar playing. I used to really hate playing with a click then I conditioned myself to it and now when I hear it I instinctively start playing with it. Sadly, if you try and do this with three other people it can turn into a proper cluster-fuck as you're trying to pay attention to the other instruments and do your part as well.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Machado said:

@Inti Brian and everyone here you should watch this when you have 40 min to spare. You won't regret. Very inspiring for who's looking to make music.

Dave is truly unique in the way he talks about music.

• Subscriber

If you're trying to understand how some of the most popular pedals stack up against each other give this channel a look into. The presentation is clean and does a great job and outlining all the differences.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv5OXCaJyRJdSJC2XxzexsQ

This is also a great video outlining the differences between the two Ibanez TubeScreamers ... apparently there are none.

Edited by Mel81x

I finished my Cuentale cover but I'm very unhappy with how it turned out. Think I should practice a bit more before I jump on a motorcycle. 

In the meantime, I made a birthday video for a friend. Tomorrow we'll find out if it was good or not xD

• Subscriber

I like this comment after watching this video "I have literally never heard a story about Lars that actually improved my opinion of the guy." I don't think Jason was a bad bassist, far from it. Lars on the other hand is a control-freak and not a good one at that. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I like this comment after watching this video "I have literally never heard a story about Lars that actually improved my opinion of the guy." I don't think Jason was a bad bassist, far from it. Lars on the other hand is a control-freak and not a good one at that. 

There's a version of this album on youtube, called …And Justice for Jason, where the bass is actually audible (arguably, the bass is turned up a bit too high lol, but after a long long long time of hearing it with no bass I can't blame the creator for going overboard). Makes an absolutely massive difference in how the album sounds.

I love that album, but I've always thought the production was pretty poor and it's probably because they've literally just fucked over their new bassist. I can't imagine how he felt tbh, he was excited to have joined his favourite band and looking forward to hearing himself on his first Metallica album. He says he was devastated, which is understandable I think.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

There's a version of this album on youtube, called …And Justice for Jason, where the bass is actually audible (arguably, the bass is turned up a bit too high lol, but after a long long long time of hearing it with no bass I can't blame the creator for going overboard). Makes an absolutely massive difference in how the album sounds.

I love that album, but I've always thought the production was pretty poor and it's probably because they've literally just fucked over their new bassist. I can't imagine how he felt tbh, he was excited to have joined his favourite band and looking forward to hearing himself on his first Metallica album. He says he was devastated, which is understandable I think.

Some things I like about this very short interview.

1. The Mixer had the professionalism to not touch the record because he recognized the band wanted it the way they did. Albeit it was a bit washed but I can respect someone doing their job.
  2. When he says that James and Jason were synced it does make you wonder why Lars was so hellbent on bringing the bass out of the equation? Was it because this is the first album after Cliff's Death? I don't think so, I think its Lars just flexing his muscles because James refused to get involved.
  3. Jason probably laughs his way to the bank every single time he collects royalties on this album or its track. Why? It must have been like a vacation for him. Sure, it hurt at first but think about it, you played on a record that you're barely audible on and you're making money off it. Jason really won in the end.

I think Jason Newsted is one of the better bassists to play with the band after Cliff and you cant really compare the two. Cliff's bass playing is meant to bring out the best in Kirk and James guitar work by reinforcing it while Jason's bass playing is meant to add drive to the music and while I prefer Cliff's approach to trash metal bass I think Jason's made their sound more generally acceptable. 

On 04/05/2020 at 23:42, Mel81x said:

If you're trying to understand how some of the most popular pedals stack up against each other give this channel a look into. The presentation is clean and does a great job and outlining all the differences.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv5OXCaJyRJdSJC2XxzexsQ

This is also a great video outlining the differences between the two Ibanez TubeScreamers ... apparently there are none.

I watched a ridiculously long comparison video between Ibanez Tubescreamers and all of the numerous clones of them... and tbh they all pretty much sound the same xD - probably the one "clone" that's the most different is the Boss SD-1, which is pretty much same circuit but with hard clipping instead of soft clipping according to the guy who runs JHS pedals. And tbh, I think I might like the SD-1 sound for boosting a high gain amp more than I like a Tubescreamer.

I remember watching it around the time I was considering buying a Maxon 808 (supposedly the closest to the "original" tubescreamers since Maxon made them for Ibanez back then). Literally couldn't tell the difference at all between that model and the Ibanezes (or most of the clones). It's actually a big part of the reason I never really "upgraded" from my Bad Monkey - although for a while I was using the Angry Driver as an OD - I didn't think the difference in sound between a tubescreamer was that great... and I like the extra tone control the Bad Monkey has so I figured it's just not really worth the money to get another Tubescreamer variant until that pedal dies.

And if I was in the market for one, I'd either get a Boss SD-1 or the Ibanez Mini-TS because they're cheap and they'll sound really really really really close to exactly what I'm going for with the pedal (if not exactly like it). Or if I was going to be less of a cheapskate (although tbh, with the music I play I think OD pedals are pretty crucial but you also don't need something very fancy), I'd maybe go with the JHS Bonsai as that's got the ability to make that EQ curve of the pedal mimic all sorts of different TS variants.

But I mean for me and the way I use overdrives... it's the "traditional" metal way of using an overdrive. It's a "set and forget" sort of pedal - it's always on (unless I'm playing on the clean channel and going for an actual clean tone), there to tighten up my bass response. I don't really need anything fancier than a very basic TS type pedal, so anything cheap that does that... that's ideal. And if I'm not playing metal and using it as a lead boost... I pretty much keep the settings the same - but tbh I don't like the pedal as much for boosting leads - that's where a big more of a less-basic OD probably comes more in handy.

Pretty remarkable pedal though as it's genre-fluid. Pretty much every genre you can find a guitarist with a tubescreamer (or very similar pedal) on their pedal board pretty quickly.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I watched a ridiculously long comparison video between Ibanez Tubescreamers and all of the numerous clones of them... and tbh they all pretty much sound the same xD - probably the one "clone" that's the most different is the Boss SD-1, which is pretty much same circuit but with hard clipping instead of soft clipping according to the guy who runs JHS pedals. And tbh, I think I might like the SD-1 sound for boosting a high gain amp more than I like a Tubescreamer.

I remember watching it around the time I was considering buying a Maxon 808 (supposedly the closest to the "original" tubescreamers since Maxon made them for Ibanez back then). Literally couldn't tell the difference at all between that model and the Ibanezes (or most of the clones). It's actually a big part of the reason I never really "upgraded" from my Bad Monkey - although for a while I was using the Angry Driver as an OD - I didn't think the difference in sound between a tubescreamer was that great... and I like the extra tone control the Bad Monkey has so I figured it's just not really worth the money to get another Tubescreamer variant until that pedal dies.

And if I was in the market for one, I'd either get a Boss SD-1 or the Ibanez Mini-TS because they're cheap and they'll sound really really really really close to exactly what I'm going for with the pedal (if not exactly like it). Or if I was going to be less of a cheapskate (although tbh, with the music I play I think OD pedals are pretty crucial but you also don't need something very fancy), I'd maybe go with the JHS Bonsai as that's got the ability to make that EQ curve of the pedal mimic all sorts of different TS variants.

But I mean for me and the way I use overdrives... it's the "traditional" metal way of using an overdrive. It's a "set and forget" sort of pedal - it's always on (unless I'm playing on the clean channel and going for an actual clean tone), there to tighten up my bass response. I don't really need anything fancier than a very basic TS type pedal, so anything cheap that does that... that's ideal. And if I'm not playing metal and using it as a lead boost... I pretty much keep the settings the same - but tbh I don't like the pedal as much for boosting leads - that's where a big more of a less-basic OD probably comes more in handy.

Pretty remarkable pedal though as it's genre-fluid. Pretty much every genre you can find a guitarist with a tubescreamer (or very similar pedal) on their pedal board pretty quickly.

The only reason I dont own a TS is because I have an SD-1 and for the life of me I can't see a reason why I'd want anything else. The money really goes towards other pedals in the mix like delays, etc as once you find your OD sound you really dont like straying from it too much. Its the same with a BD because once I tried the Boss I couldn't be arsed to try any of the others eventhough there are a plethora of ones made by some great companies out there.

Have you heard of these guys?

https://1981inventions.com/shop

If you go on YT and try to see this thing compare to other pedals you start to wonder why anyone would pay that price. But, having said all that their white pedal is pure sex.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Some things I like about this very short interview.

1. The Mixer had the professionalism to not touch the record because he recognized the band wanted it the way they did. Albeit it was a bit washed but I can respect someone doing their job.
  2. When he says that James and Jason were synced it does make you wonder why Lars was so hellbent on bringing the bass out of the equation? Was it because this is the first album after Cliff's Death? I don't think so, I think its Lars just flexing his muscles because James refused to get involved.
  3. Jason probably laughs his way to the bank every single time he collects royalties on this album or its track. Why? It must have been like a vacation for him. Sure, it hurt at first but think about it, you played on a record that you're barely audible on and you're making money off it. Jason really won in the end.

I think Jason Newsted is one of the better bassists to play with the band after Cliff and you cant really compare the two. Cliff's bass playing is meant to bring out the best in Kirk and James guitar work by reinforcing it while Jason's bass playing is meant to add drive to the music and while I prefer Cliff's approach to trash metal bass I think Jason's made their sound more generally acceptable. 

I don't think Metallica have ever had a bad bassist (except on St. Anger when Bob Rock is playing bass with the band). Cliff's a legend - he's my favourite of the 3 (fuck counting Bob Rock lol, I hate that guy) purely because he's the bassist on my 3 favourite Metallica albums. I think you're right about Jason's playing meaning to add a bit more drive to their music - he's obviously a very good bassist. I think Rob Trujillo you don't see how good he is so much in the Metallica songs he's been involved in recording; but his work with Suicidal Tendancies & the Infectious Grooves is really really good. In Metallica, imo, his roll is basically just Jason 2.0 and fuck it, why not? They've always had a good bassist on the books as their bassist imo.

I think Cliff had more input as a songwriter than the other two though.

1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

The only reason I dont own a TS is because I have an SD-1 and for the life of me I can't see a reason why I'd want anything else. The money really goes towards other pedals in the mix like delays, etc as once you find your OD sound you really dont like straying from it too much. Its the same with a BD because once I tried the Boss I couldn't be arsed to try any of the others eventhough there are a plethora of ones made by some great companies out there.

Have you heard of these guys?

https://1981inventions.com/shop

If you go on YT and try to see this thing compare to other pedals you start to wonder why anyone would pay that price. But, having said all that their white pedal is pure sex.

I'd not heard of those, but that seems like a mental price for an OD pedal - at least give us more controls to fiddle with at that price xD

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rick said:

Anybody able to recommend any decent headphones? To fit a regular sized jack for a tablet or laptop. Budget up to a £100 but the lower the better really. 

Over the ear or earbuds?

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don't think Metallica have ever had a bad bassist (except on St. Anger when Bob Rock is playing bass with the band). Cliff's a legend - he's my favourite of the 3 (fuck counting Bob Rock lol, I hate that guy) purely because he's the bassist on my 3 favourite Metallica albums. I think you're right about Jason's playing meaning to add a bit more drive to their music - he's obviously a very good bassist. I think Rob Trujillo you don't see how good he is so much in the Metallica songs he's been involved in recording; but his work with Suicidal Tendancies & the Infectious Grooves is really really good. In Metallica, imo, his roll is basically just Jason 2.0 and fuck it, why not? They've always had a good bassist on the books as their bassist imo.

I think Cliff had more input as a songwriter than the other two though.

Rob's work with ST and IG is very different from the kind of stuff you'd expect Metallica to be playing which is why whenever I hear him play I always think he should be doing more, hes actually being stunted with his time at Metallica but as you say why not? Big band, big money, easy fame. When you look at their legacy and what they started with they strayed so far off the path that every time I hear their bass now I think okay you're just playing Hetfield's parts versus pushing them out more and I rate the rhythm work on a lot of Metallica's songs as very good. 

I was asked to learn Now That We're Dead (a track I actually like on their new album) I was quite excited then I saw the bass parts and said surely this can't be it. Then again Metallica has actually dropped the sound that made them very popular in the first place.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Rick said:

Anybody able to recommend any decent headphones? To fit a regular sized jack for a tablet or laptop. Budget up to a £100 but the lower the better really. 

Take a look here but in all honesty it really depends on what you want to use them for. If its easy listening I think something from Senheisser in the lower tiers is actually great value for money and you don't have to bust the bank for it. Someone already asked over-ear or in-ear because in both ranges you can get something in the upper 60ish range to satisfy a wide range of music without them feeling like a cheap purchase. And since you're plugging them into a laptop you dont care about taking calls which is horrendous even on over-priced headphones that dont have a dedicated mic.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Rick said:

Over the ear, but I’ll have a gander at the topic Mel linked. 

Try these. They come with pedigree in their construction and sound quality

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ATH-M40X-Professional-Headphones-Black/dp/B00HVLUR54

Think the bass response will be low but I think they generally tend to be good for a lot of general music listening and also great for movies/media consumption and you can get them cheaper outside the Amazon ecosystem I believe. 

• Thanks 1

• Subscriber

If your looking for cheap-ish ones I can't recommend Koss Pro4AA highly enough... If you want even cheaper, then Pro3AA Titanium might interest you too. I bought them once accidentally because I needed headphones urgently and the local electronics shop only had that one pair left. The best price - quality ratio I ever witnessed. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Inti Brian said:

Some news

My first original song was going to be released next week, but after some excellent feedback it's going to be released earlier.

I am not as confident anymore. I got back another version and it sounds a bit worse for me, but I have faith in my producer. A tad nervous though in truth.